autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Mike Phillips

Re: 1976 Corvette Original Single Stage Paint - Paint Correction and Waxing

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post

Looking through all your posts of all these single stage paint corrections. I'm building up my confidence to be able to work on, through learning from your experience.

I can't wait to one day build up the eye for making these kinds of judgement calls.

For that I just have to say thank you and can't wait to get my hands on one.

I love restoring original and antique single stage paint and once in a while I have the right car to use for a class. Like this 1940 Chevy we had for a Roadshow Class.

1940 Buick -Before & After - EXTREME extreme Makeover!

And since this is your first post, welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    More....

Here's the short answer to the question about why I didn't use the #7 Rub Down Technique for the paint on this car.

It didn't have chalky oxidized paint.

The #7 Rub Down Technique is for a car that has the original, antique paint that has turned chalky. The chalkiness is oxidation.

A hard shine
    Yes this paint was oxidized but it still has a hard shine to it. This is a picture I took after the car arrived and BEFORE I did anything to it. See the hard shine to the surface?

The paint is NOT chalky. In fact, the surface was almost case-hardened with time. There was light oxidation, you can see a little green paint came off the car and onto the clay bar, but there was not tons of green paint i.e. oxidation coming off when I clayed it.

The paint was simply aged, stained, spotted and filled with swirls and scratches.

The #7 would not have done anything to bring the paint back to life so I first tried the very safe BLACKFIRE One Step and when that wouldn't cut through the years of hardening, I resorted to the Pinnacle Advanced Compound.

I guess it's a judgement call as to when to use the #7 technique or not and the judgment comes from years of experience buffing out just about everything under the sun.

Thanks Mike! It's very interesting to see how you dialed in the process. Awesome job! 1976 Corvette Original Single Stage Paint - Paint Correction and Waxing 1976 Corvette Original Single Stage Paint - Paint Correction and Waxing 1976 Corvette Original Single Stage Paint - Paint Correction and Waxing

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    That thing looks 100x better now, Mike.

I always like the pics of the machine "trails" when applying product.

When I polish, I kind of use these as a gauge to keep my arm speed in check. Lol.
    I'd have never thought of that. That is really awesome!!! Thank you for sharing this tid bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN View Post
    I'd have never thought of that. That is really awesome!!! Thank you for sharing this tid bit.
    Lol. Thanks, Jake.

I'm sure I am not the first guy to do this, but it was just something that I noticed after my first few machine polishing sessions back in the day.

I'll bet my first one had the trail marks 3-4" apart.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234