autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: 1976 Corvette Original Single Stage Paint - Paint Correction and Waxing

More....

For those reading this into the future, here's the link to my original article on #7

The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints

There are more here,

All Mike Phillips #7 Show Car Glaze Articles in one place

Post Thanks / Like

Great work!! Love that color on the Vette. As an owner of two 70s Oldsmobiles, I have really grown to appreciate the unique colors of 70s rides. I wish some more cars today would think outside the box a bit more with colors.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, despite the pandemic affecting the world its nice to see some shinny paint.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by IH8SPM View Post

Mike, despite the pandemic affecting the world its nice to see some shinny paint.

Thanks.

Here's the deal - I have hundreds, even thousands of pictures from recent detailing work that I can stay busy doing nothing but processing pictures and typing out information.

It's easier to go out to the garage and detail a car than it is to do something with the pictures taken during the project. So I have to practice balance.

I invested 3 days in the1946 Dodge but I'll get 5 product reviews and how-to out of it and as long as Autogeek pays their server bill, the pictures and information will endure forever.

This came in yesterday

How-to Wetsand using the Scuff and Buff Technique - 1937 Ford Woody

And I have an original oxidized paint 1939 Ford Coupe coming in today for the #7 Treatment. I'll share pictures later today.

Mike Phillips

Forgot one...

I also have an original paint 1971 Corvette coming in, I've already installed a coating on the tires for this car, next is taking the paint to it's maximum potential.

Mike Phillips

For everyone that asked me about or was interested in WHY I didn't do the #7 treatment to this Corvette, which was a great question, (wrong condition of paint), I will be showing the right condition of paint to use this approach here,

The Number #7 Rub Down Technique for Original Single Stage Paint - All original 1938 Packard

People have been asking me for years, even a decade now to make a video showing The Number #7 Rub Down Technique for original and antique single stage paint. All these years I've been waiting for the right car to demo this technique plus capture the before and after pictures.

Today my long-time friend, Mike Stowe brought me his all original 1938 Packard with the original paint from 1938.

Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze

All original 1938 Packard with the original factory single stage lacquer paint

Stay tuned.... and share the link to this thread with your friends.

7. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes Aaryn NZ, Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Here's a video I made that walks through the process I used. This is hosted on my Facebook page. You don't have to have a Facebook account to watch the video. Just click on the link to launch the video.

Make sure you have your speakers on and the "sound" button and bar in the lower right hand corner of the video screen is on and turned up.

Mike Phillips - Original Paint - 1976 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

When you take on a vehicle with paint like this, do you lessen the amount of passes you make when you compound? I.E. you always talk about 6-8 section passes, but when the paint is this poor, do you cut the pass number back, use a less aggressive pad/compound, or run the machine at a slower speed with the same pass count? Thank you.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey Mike View Post

When you take on a vehicle with paint like this, do you lessen the amount of passes you make when you compound?

I.E. you always talk about 6-8 section passes, but when the paint is this poor, do you cut the pass number back, use a less aggressive pad/compound, or run the machine at a slower speed with the same pass count?

Thank you.

It just depends on the paint and the goal.

This paint was for all practical reasons - shot.

It already had thin spots throughout the various panels. I explained to the owner that if I buff hard enough to remove the oxidation, stains, spots and swirls and scratches where the paint is already thin - it's going to make these thin areas GROW.

He understood this and okayed me to proceed with my best judgment. And I think I included somewhere in this write-up what it would cost to repaint this car versus let me hammer on it and squeeze whatever shine was left out of the old girl and then drive it like you stole it.

The paint was in REALLY BAD CONDITION and as I preach and teach, I tried using the least aggressive approach but it wasn't making enough of a difference to where you could stand back, look at the car and say,

Wow! Now that looks much better

So again, using my best judgement with all factors taking into consideration, I chopped on it pretty hard and the results are as NICE as this paint is going to get without spending $30,000.00 for a re-paint.

One thing I think I have working for me is years of experience and the ability to adequately test and make final judgement calls.

Great question, thank you for asking.

And - I have an original paint 1972 Corvette coming up and it is HAMMERED! Much worse than the paint on this car.

Stay tuned...

11. Thanks Mike Hoekstra thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking through all your posts of all these single stage paint corrections. I'm building up my confidence to be able to work on, through learning from your experience. I can't wait to one day build up the eye for making these kinds of judgement calls.

For that I just have to say thank you and can't wait to get my hands on one.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast