autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Review: 3D Paint Coating and 3D One Cutting Compound and Finishing Polish

Review: 3D Paint Coating and 3D One Cutting Compound and Finishing Polish

3D Ceramic Coating and 3D One Cutting Compound and Finishing Polish

3D Ceramic Paint Coating

What is it?
    3D Paint Coating is specialty resin and a true ceramic coating. It does NOT contain Si02.

What does it do?

Seals your car's paint using using a liquid polymer

When do I use it?

After properly preparing the paint for the coating.

Why should I use it?

To seal you car's paint with a super durable coating that creates amazing gloss while resisting degradation over time.

From the manufacturer

A coating that finally rubs out the competition with the Crockmeter Test.

3D Ceramic Coating Kit protects your car from the sun’s damaging rays and the resulting oxidization, is highly hydrophobic and keeps your car looking glossy, without the need for constant application. 3D Ceramic Coating Kit is safe to use on clear coats and single stage paint coats. Best part is that 3D Ceramic Coating is done in just a few simple steps, all carefully applied by your own hand and can last for years on your vehicle.

3D One Cutting Compound and Finishing Polish

What is it?
    A new generation compound/polish.

What does it do?

Works like an aggressive cutting compound or a final finishing polish depending upon the pad and tool you use.

When do I use it?

Anytime you want to remove deep paint defects like swirls, scratches or sanding marks after wet sanding. Or you can use it to remove shallow defects or for a second step after the heavy cutting step. It's a combination one-step compound/polish.

Why should I use it?

To removed paint defects before sealing the paint with a wax, synthetic sealant or ceramic paint coating. It will create a defect-free finish to restore a factory new look.

From the manufacturer

3D ONE Hybrid cutting compound and finishing polish accelerate polishing performance. It has nano ceramic alumina abrasives that easily correct paint scratches by using a DA or high-speed rotary polisher.

3D One is a unique product: apply on a cutting pad to remove heavy scratches and then apply on a finishing pad to deliver an exceptional high gloss finish.

It’s easy to use easy to clean up and it leaves the perfect finish every time. It works best when applied in a shaded area, but it is also sun-friendly.

My comments

I normally write very in-depth reviews that include a lot of photo-documentation that really focuses on the BEFORE condition of the paint and the process. I didn't do that with this detail job because,

A: The paint was in really good condition. It had light contamination that I removed using detailing clay. It also only had light swirls and scratches that were difficult to capture on the bright, metallic orange paint.

B: This detail is what I would call a true show car detail, that is I used a multiple step approach to perfect the paint just like I would if the paint were in horrible condition. The paint on this car is on the HARD side of the soft/hard spectrum and so even though the swirls and scratches were shallow, it took a lot of pads, products and buffing to remove them to show car quality level. As such - more work and less pictures of the actual process.

2011 Corvette Z06 - Full Exterior Show Car Detail

Here's the car after I was finished. All these pictures were taken with an iPhone 10xMax for what it's worth. While the results look great, they look even better in person. The paint looks dripping wet.

Note: These pictures were taken after an exhaustive compounding and polishing and hen 2 applications of the 3D Paint Coating were applied back-to-back.

Carbon Fiber Roof

While I know a lot about cars in general, I don't know everything. The owner told me this model Corvette has a Carbon Fiber Roof. When I looked at it, I didn't NOT see the normal "fiber appearance" normal to carbon fiber components. So I was a little hesitant to start chopping on it with a cutting pad and compound. So I took a very careful approach.

Roof Test Spot

Test Spot 1: I used a Lake Country BLACK 6.5" Force Hybrid finishing pad. - This removed the shallow swirls and scratches.

Test Spot 2: I used a Lake Country WHITE 6.5" Force Hybrid POLISHING pad. This removed more of the swirls and scratches but a lot still remained.

Test Spot 3: I used the Lake Country ORANGE 6.5" Force Hybrid CUTTING pad and I HAMMERED on this roof. This removed 99.9% of the defects.

My comments

The roof maybe carbon fiber, but it has a basecoat/clearcoat paint system over it. The roof paint was just as hard as the clearcoat paint on the rest of the car. The carbon fiber aspect is UNDER the paint and has NOTHING to do with how you treat it. If you ever need to do paint correction to a 2011 Z06 - treat like the rest of the body panels.

Review

3D Ceramic Paint Coating

Super Easy To Use. That is the key PRACTICAL feature of this product that stands out and you will like. It spreads out easy and you get great coverage from a few small drops of product. It glides over the surface easily. It has a long flash time so you can take your time moving the product over a section of paint. Wiping of the treated area is also easy. It leaves the paint slick and slippery with amazing, wet-paint looking gloss. The second application is only a tick stickier at the wipe-off stage and my guess is because you're building up a layer coating on top of coating so the second application is truly sticking or bonding to itself. If you've never used a paint coating before, this is a GREAT first coating to trust and use. The owner of the company, Tunch Gorin is also the lead chemist for the company. 3D is late to the market in introducing a paint coating but in Tunch's own words, he had to make sure it was right before he would launch this new product.

3D One Cutting Compound and Finishing Polish

Oh man.... this is a NICE product. First, it's a one-step compound/polish. Don't confuse these terms with a one-step AIO - that's not the kind of one-step this product is. A one-step AIO will do what this product will do, that is cut and polish BUT also leave some protection behind, in the 3D line, this would be the 3D Speed. This is a dedicated product for abrading the paint. You will want to seal the paint after using it.

This product uses great abrasive technology. Anyone that has ready any of my hundreds of articles and tens of thousands of posts on this forum, (often times my posts or "replies" are as in-depth and educational as an actual how-to article,), knows I stress....

Abrasive Technology

When it comes to abrasive technology, there are two groups. There is NO GREY area in-between. Abrasive technology is either GREAT or it's JUNK. Here's the criteria, it's real simple too...

A compound, polish or cleaner/wax, (products that use abrasive technology), must be able to remove defects without leaving their own defects behind.

If a compound/polish/aio can do this.... then it uses great abrasive technology. If it cannot - then it's junk.

Kind of harsh don't you think Mike?

Not at all. I'm the guy that wrote this article,

Clearcoats are thin by Mike Phillips

There is not enough paint on your car to use products that use junk for abrasive technology. Click the link above, look at the pictures and choose as you will. There are a lot of great products on the market, I only use and write about products that I consider to use great abrasive technology. If a product won't pass my testing on black paint - I won't use it and I certainly won't write a review encouraging you to use it. This is a really nice product.

Forever Buffing Cycle
    Besides meeting my criteria for abrasive technology it has a buffing cycle that LASTS FOREVER. The stuff never dries up. You can buff until the cows come home.

ZERO DUSTING
    It won't dust. You can try and try as hard as you can and you cannot get this product to dust. Ain't happening. I know some of you HATE product that dust, (don't normally bother me), and if this describes you then you'll love this product.

Excellent cutting compound
    To make it cut like a chainsaw, use a wool pad on a rotary buffer, to tame it down use a foam cutting pad on any tool.

Excellent finishing polish
    Like stated above, to use as a finishing polish simply switch to finishing pad.

This is truly a one-step compound/polish.

Summary
    This new paint coating teamed up with 3D One is a powerful combo that will take care of anything in your garage or shop and the results will blow you away. (see above pictures)

On Autogeek.com

3D Ceramic Coating Kit - 30mL - $79.99

3D One - 32 ounce - $42.99

6.5 inch Lake Country Force Hybrid Orange Cutting Pad - $10.99

6.5 inch Lake Country Force Hybrid White Polishing Pad - $10.99

The FLEX Supa BEAST - $435.99 The part number for this tool is; XCE 10-8 125 - I have also upgraded it with the optional 6" backing plate swap

FLEX XFE 7-15 6 inch Backing Plate - You need this larger backing plate to use the pads shown.

Cobra Forrest Green Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloths - 12 Pack - $19.99 - Not pictured but I probably went through 3 dozen towels.

2. Thanks Mike Hoekstra thanked for this post
    Likes fly07sti, PaulMys, Thomkirby, RamAirV1, vdevan liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review: 3D Paint Coating and 3D One Cutting Compound and Finishing Polish

Continued....

I took these pictures to talk about the importance of switching to clean dry pads often. See my comments after the pictures

A few people have asked me,

Why so many cutting pads?

I stated this above, but here it is again - the paint on this Corvette is HARD.

How foam pads work

I'm going to go deep, so read carefully.

Pad Saturation

When you apply product to the face of the pad - then place the face of the pad against the pad - for that brief moment - the product is going INTO the pad. Then when you turn the polisher ON and start working the product, the violent oscillating action and downward pressure assists the liquid in the product to migrate further into the pad. The result is the pad becomes wet or saturated.

Pad Softenting

As foam becomes wet with product it changes the foam by making it SOFTER and less SHARP. Think about it? Have you ever buffed out a car and after using a product the pad become harder and more coarse? Of course not. As the pad becomes wet it becomes soft and as this means it STOPS doing what it was intended to do and in the case of a foam cutting pad - it stops cutting. In the case of a foam polishing pad - it stops polishing.

In a more or less simple explanation - both foam cutting and foam polishing pads become foam finishing pads Common sense - we don't do paint correction on medium to hard paints using foam finishing pads.

So the reason I switched out to multiple pads is

A: Because I can. I have a huge collection of good, used pads here at the garage because I teach classes with up to 26 people in a class. In my classes, we work on cars, we don't sit in chairs. Everyone gets their own tools and pads and products, so "yes" I have access to plenty of pads and tools.

B: It's faster to switch to a clean, DRY foam cutting pad then to limp along with a limp or soft pad.

C: This was a Show Car Detail, not anything less. The owner wanted perfect paint. You don't get to perfection quickly using only a few pads.

I'll tell you one thing, the 3D One compound/polish with a fresh, dry foam cutting pad on the Supa BEAST nailed it. Micro-tools include the FLEX PiXiE and the RUPES Nano Long Neck - both cool tools.

Here's the 3D Paint Coating - cool looking green branding - the meaning is Tunch creates products that are GREEN as in eco-friendly.

The Supa Star! 3D One!

And for those that are interested - "yes" the microfiber suede patches of cloth turned as hard as cardboard.

4. Thanks Mike Hoekstra thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Continued....

Here's a video on the new 3D Ceramic Paint Coating

Tunch Goren and Mike Philip take a very in-depth dive into the world of Ceramic Coatings and highlight the 3D Ceramic Coating and One polish products.

3D Ceramic Paint Coating

Products:

3D Ceramic Coating

3D Ceramic Coating Kit protects your car from the sun’s damaging rays and the resulting oxidization, is highly hydrophobic and keeps your car looking glossy, without the need for constant application. 3D Ceramic Coating Kit is safe to use on clear coats and single stage paint coats. Best part is that 3D Ceramic Coating is done in just a few simple steps, all carefully applied by your own hand and can last for years on your vehicle.

Ceramic coating your car can be lengthy process, but 3D Ceramic Coating Kit makes it simple. All you need is what comes in the packaging.

Kit Includes:

3D Ceramic Coating 30mL
    Applicator Block
    (2) Microsuede Towels

Directions for Use:
    *Pro-tip: Make sure the surface is completely clean and decontaminated.
    Wrap the 3D Suede Applicator around the 3D foam block and apply enough coating to cover the flat surface of the suede.
    Using a cross hatch pattern (side-to-side and then up-and-down strokes), spreading the coat evenly. Work in sections.
    Weather will determine the size of the section you want to work with. Temperature and humidity can affect how quickly the product dries.
    Apply more product if the suede dries up.
    Wait 30 seconds and buff the product off with a clean soft microfiber towel.
    If the surface feels oily after buffing, wait a few more seconds and wipe off again.

3D One

3D One is a revolutionary product from 3D that will allow you to correct and perfect any paint surface in drastically less time than ever before! 3D One lets you do multiple paint correction steps without having to switch the product you are using, letting you save a ton on your cost of detailing supplies. 3D One is a great product to use if you are a professional due to its non-existent dusting and incredibly long working time. Unlike most compounds or polishes, 3D One will wipe off with great ease, even if it is allowed to dry on the paint!

3D One makes the process of perfecting your painted surfaces as painless and as affordable as possible!

Complete 3D products - 3D Professional Detailing Products, HD car care, 3D HD

3D ABRASIVE TECHNOLOGY!

Ever wondered how automotive compounds and polishes work to remove paint defects? How they are made? Well in this video Mike Phillips and Tunch Goren, owner and chemist at 3D Professional Detailing Products, explain the process of making a great compound and polish and how they work to restore your car's paint to a high gloss.

Products in video:

3D One - 3D One
    3D Speed - https://www.autogeek.net/3d-hd-speed-...
    3D AAT Cutting Compound - https://www.autogeek.net/3d-aat-rubbi...
    3D ACA 500 X-Tra Cut Compound - https://www.autogeek.net/3d-aca-xtra-...
    3D ACA 520 Finishing Polish - https://www.autogeek.net/3d-aca-520-f...
    3D AAT Finishing Polish - https://www.autogeek.net/3d-aat-finis...
    3D AAT 505 Correction Glaze - https://www.autogeek.net/3d-aat-505-c...

Complete 3D products - https://www.autogeek.net/3d-car-care-products.html

6. Thanks Mike Hoekstra thanked for this post
    Likes Thomkirby, dwaleke liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Continued....

Here's some extra interesting information about the 3D Paint Coating from the man himself - Tunch Gorin.

3D Paint Coating Questions & Answers

1. If they need to paint over a 3D coated panel, what product can they use to remove it? I.e. a strong solvent or do they need to sand it first?

If they are painting a panel they have to sand it to prepare it for paint and also to make sure no coating remains on the surface.

2. How soon can you coat a freshly painted / cleared surface?

If it is baked after 2 weeks it should be fine if the curing process is natural for at least a month, the more you wait the better because some clears dry from the bottom to the top.

3. What is the best product to maintain the coating? I.e. what products should we use / stay clear of? Washing etc?

Any pH balanced soap will work; pretty soon we will have a new product called Bead It Up to maintain the coating.

4. Can 3D Ceramic be applied to bare polished alloy? ie an aluminum airplane?

Yes it can be applied on alloy.

5. Is 3D Ceramic solvent resistant? I.e. if you're filling up your car with gas and spill some on a coated surface will it remove that coating?

It is solvent resistant but it could cause a little etch, is always better to be careful as you would on a regular coated surface. If the ceramic coating cured as it should, for 72 hours, and you spill some gas on it, it would be better if you wipe it off immediately and nothing should happen.

6. Is the coating a 9H?

Yes

7. Does the product contain Si02, if so does it require the use of a respirator mask when applying it? If not, what is the makeup we can describe to our customers?

No it doesn't contain Si02.

• Si02 is an older technology and can be brittle, ours is a specialty resin and a true ceramic coating.
    • Si02 has a Mohs hardness of 7 and a melting point of 1600 C (1870 F).
    • It has poor adhesion which is why it doesn’t have great longevity/durability.
    • 3D Next Generation Coating has a melting point of 2730 C (4950 F) and a Mohs hardness of 9.
    • Excellent adhesion to the surface with one of the lowest rolling angles and one of the highest contact angles in the market which makes it extremely hydrophobic."

I updated the last bullet point in topic #7 with the below that he just sent to me via e-mail

From Tunch,

"Excellent adhesion to the surface with one of the lowest rolling angles and one of the highest contact angles in the market which makes it extremely hydrophobic."

And he sent this diagram to help explain - I also added it under the bullet point list for topic #7

8. Is there a recommended temperature to apply the coating?

Normal room temperature is the ideal condition. Not recommended in high temperatures. Must be applied under a shade and dust free environment.

9. In regards to my question yesterday about painting over a coated panel. What happens if it is a blend panel that isn't getting coated but needs to only be cleared.. Currently the paint shops use a scotch brite pad to scuff the surface but can't use sandpaper as it's too aggressive.

This is hard to answer because we don't know what kind of aggressive scotch brite they are using but is easier and safer to use a p2000 to p3000 sandpaper because the grits are more standardized than a scotch brite, and that process will ensure the coating removal and paint will stick better on the surface.

10. What is the thickness of our coating?

First Coat is 0.3 Micron but the second layer will be adding more thickness, it will add 0.5 to 0.7 Micron.

Interesting stuff no?

8. Thanks dwaleke, Mike Hoekstra thanked for this post
    Likes vincec, SNP209, Thomkirby, Loach, dwaleke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow. Tunch and 3D are tearing it up.

From HD Polish+, HD Speed, and even Towel Kleen, every 3D product I have purchased has been a winner with me.

I would absolutely trust anything these folks put out.

Eager to read some results from this new coating as well.........
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Wow. Tunch and 3D are tearing it up.

From HD Polish+, HD Speed, and even Towel Kleen, every 3D product I have purchased has been a winner with me.

I would absolutely trust anything these folks put out.

Eager to read some results from this new coating as well.........
    Yup, we’ll said mate ...

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

3D ACA 500 X-Tra Cut Compound - https://www.autogeek.net/3d-aca-xtra-...
    3D ACA 520 Finishing Polish - https://www.autogeek.net/3d-aca-520-f...
    Played around with these as well as 3D One and they are also good products. The compound is really good and the best aspect is no dusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

7. Does the product contain Si02, if so does it require the use of a respirator mask when applying it? If not, what is the makeup we can describe to our customers?

No it doesn't contain Si02.

• Si02 is an older technology and can be brittle, ours is a specialty resin and a true ceramic coating.
    • Si02 has a Mohs hardness of 7 and a melting point of 1600 C (1870 F).
    • It has poor adhesion which is why it doesn’t have great longevity/durability.
    • 3D Next Generation Coating has a melting point of 2730 C (4950 F) and a Mohs hardness of 9.
    • Excellent adhesion to the surface and it has one of the lowest contact angles in the market which makes it extremely hydrophobic.

This is not meant to be serious but what have all of us been using with these SiO2 coatings (Cquartz, Gyeon, GTechniq, etc..). And no I am not speaking about SiO2 spray sealants. I guess they are not true coatings based on reading this. Again this is not meant to be a serious comment but rather an interesting comment made by Tunch. With that said it looks like a nice coating.

12. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

First I must say the car looks amazing. Great work, Mike! They are not easy cars to buff out without a lift.

Secondly I really enjoyed reading and looking at this review. The Q and A part was informal and cool!! Thanks for adding

Lastly, I don’t do a ton of coatings like others here but I want to try this now after what you said about it and some of the Q and A comments. I have generally enjoyed using 3D products as they have ALWAYS worked as stated from compounds to degreasers And everything in between. I Find them to be reasonable priced especially when AG runs sales.
    Jim

14. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Played around with these as well as 3D One and they are also good products. The compound is really good and the best aspect is no dusting.

This is not meant to be serious but what have all of us been using with these SiO2 coatings (Cquartz, Gyeon, GTechniq, etc..). And no I am not speaking about SiO2 spray sealants. I guess they are not true coatings based on reading this. Again this is not meant to be a serious comment but rather an interesting comment made by Tunch. With that said it looks like a nice coating.
    I think Tunch needs to send Mike a sample.

Lets put this stuff in the hands of a true coating Guru......... The Guzmeister!!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

16. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The paint coating sounds very intriguing. Couple of questions...

-It was mentioned that sanding was required to remove the coating if painting was involved. If I was to get a high spot and notice it only after the coating fully cured, would I need to sand to remove it or would polishing suffice?

-About the question that mentions spilling gasoline, it was said the coating needs 72 hours to fully cure. Do I need to keep my car in the garage for 72 hours before exposing it to any sort of moisture (e.g. rain) at all?

-In the question about SiO2 content, it was said the coating boasts one of the lowest contact angles in the industry... Was that a typo and it was supposed to say it has one of the highest contact angles, since that is what is associated with hydrophobicity? Also if such information can be released what is the ballpark figure of the contact angle (e.g. its around 110, its around 120, etc)...

-Since this coating does not contain any SiO2, can we still maintain it with our favorite SiO2 topper, or would we be better served waiting for the 3D maintenance product to come out?

-Are two layers mandatory or is it more to ensure even coverage?

As for 3D One...

As I mentioned in the other thread it is the only compound and or polish I have used and it is an outstanding product. On my car's paint (2016 Ford Focus SE), I was able to get the results I was after with only minimal section passes on an orange Griot's Garage BOSS pad. Very user friendly, IMHO.

18. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast