autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: 3D Paint Coating and 3D One Cutting Compound and Finishing Polish

Quote Originally Posted by SNP209 View Post
    The paint coating sounds very intriguing. Couple of questions...
    To me, there's a bit of "What???" w regards to a few points. Pencil hardness of 9h, Mohs hardness of 9? A pencil hardness of 9h is in a practical sense irrelevant but Mohs of 9 would be a but more, uh...substantial.

Low water contact angle but extremely hydrophobic? Wouldn't the low water contact angle be more associated with hydrophillic properties?

Will be interesting to see how this plays out in real world usage...

2. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post

To me, there's a bit of "What???" w regards to a few points. Pencil hardness of 9h, Mohs hardness of 9? A pencil hardness of 9h is in a practical sense irrelevant but Mohs of 9 would be a but more, uh...substantial.

Low water contact angle but extremely hydrophobic? Wouldn't the low water contact angle be more associated with hydrophillic properties?

Will be interesting to see how this plays out in real world usage...

I've sent the link to this thread to Tunch. In my e-mail I asked about the low versus high contact angle confusion, it could just be a simple as a mis-worded sentence. I make mistakes all the time when I type. Usually my brain is thinking slower than my fingers are moving.

4. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Here's an update on the topic of contact angle for water beading.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    [*] Excellent adhesion to the surface and it has one of the lowest contact to the surface in the market which makes it extremely hydrophobic.[/LIST][/COLOR]
    Tunch e-mailed me the edit to make and also explained what he was trying to say. Here's what he means when he says,

Lowest contact to the surface

Imagine a sphere, like a bearing or even a basketball. The bearing or basketball for this explanation represents a bead of water.

The point at which the bottom surface of the sphere touches the surface, in this example the surface would be paint, with his coating, there is the least amount of contact between the surface and the paint as compared to competitors.

I guess one way to think of this is if a basketball was low with air - the basketball would soften and there would be more contact with the paint.

Now if you over inflate the basketball so it's really hard, there would be very little contact between the basketball and the paint where they make contact.

And this of course would be the analogy with water beading on the 3D Coating.

He went on to say, his coating has the highest angle of contact to use the common terms everyone is used to reading. Hope this clears up any confusion. He's also going to send me a graphic to insert that should explain what he's trying to share.

Hope that helps....

6. Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So essentially making a point of high surface tension and a high water contact angle to the surface. Just a different way to say the same thing.

8. Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post

So essentially making a point of high surface tension and a high water contact angle to the surface.
    Yes.

This that you wrote below...

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz

Just a different way to say the same thing.

Mike Phillips

From Tunch,

I updated the last bullet point in topic #7 with the below that he just sent to me via e-mail

"Excellent adhesion to the surface with one of the lowest rolling angles and one of the highest contact angles in the market which makes it extremely hydrophobic."

And he sent this diagram to help explain - I also added it under the bullet point list for topic #7

Post Thanks / Like

Interested. One thing I like about 3D is they've always made their SDS sheets readily available, seems very professional.

I also like the comments about the low rolling angle. I've been saying for awhile that this is more important than water beading alone. Other big name detailers like Larry Kosilla have been talking about it and I hope more of the market starts paying attention. I'm also a fan of a slick surface.

As far as the SiO2 thing I'm indifferent, I try to focus on product performance vs whatever buzzword chemical is in it as we never really know.
    Last edited by DetailZeus; 04-11-2020 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Terminology

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    7. Does the product contain Si02, if so does it require the use of a respirator mask when applying it? If not, what is the makeup we can describe to our customers?

No it doesn't contain Si02.

• Si02 is an older technology and can be brittle, ours is a specialty resin and a true ceramic coating.
    • Si02 has a Mohs hardness of 7 and a melting point of 1600 C (1870 F).
    • It has poor adhesion which is why it doesn’t have great longevity/durability.
    • 3D Next Generation Coating has a melting point of 2730 C (4950 F) and a Mohs hardness of 9.
    • Excellent adhesion to the surface with one of the lowest rolling angles and one of the highest contact angles in the market which makes it extremely hydrophobic."
    The SDS says otherwise... https://www.3dproducts.com/wp-conten...ic-Coating.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

It does contain Silicone Dioxide and Titanium Dioxide. Doesn’t one of the Polish Angel products have similar ingredients? It’s hard to claim it’s a “true ceramic coating” if it does not contain SIO2? Am I right?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sixsix View Post
    Oops! Although perhaps the more interesting point is the claim of hardness of 9 on *Mohs* scale:

"* 3D Next Generation Coating has a melting point of 2730 C (4950 F) and a Mohs hardness of 9."
    Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    It does contain Silicone Dioxide and Titanium Dioxide. Doesn’t one of the Polish Angel products have similar ingredients? It’s hard to claim it’s a “true ceramic coating” if it does not contain SIO2? Am I right?
    PA always trumpets that combo but many have all jumped on the TiO2 as well, i.e. CarPro Cquartz TiO2.

Marketing proclamations are always an interesting and sometimes entertaining read. I believe IGL at one time (and maybe still) notes "Diamond Infused 10h hardness..." for Kenzo due to there being some carbon in the formulation...a bit of a stretch in my mind. 22ple claims a "500% increase in hardness..." with one of their topcoats...that just HAS to be a typo!

Regardless, for $65 if I had something to try it on I'd give 3d a go; dont use much of their stuff these days but always enjoyed those that I did try.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast