autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

Review: GYEON Mild LeatherSet Kit - Leather Cleaner and Coating

Review: GYEON Mild Leather Set Kit - Leather Cleaner and Coating

GYEON Mild LeatherSet Kit

First, the word LeatherSet is spelled correctly according to GYEON branding guidelines. I don't want anyone to think I don't know how to spell or didn't notice the way GYEON chose to spell this word. Just wanted to point this out for anyone that my try searching for this product.

The mild kit comes with everything you need to clean and then coat a car interior. I put two coats of the Leather Shield on and used very "wet" coats, so there wasn't much left of the coating but there was ample cleaner leftover.

GYEON LEATHER COAT

What is it?

Resin-based protective coating for leather.

What does it do?

Seals and protects leather surfaces from spills and other substances.

When do I use it?

After first using the Leather Cleaner Mild to clean and prep leather surfaces.

Why should I use it?

To seal and protect you car's leather interior as well as maintain it's resell or trade-in value.

GYEON LEATHER CLEANER MILD

What is it?

Dedicated pre-coating, leather cleaner that comes in a pump bottle that releases the product as a thick foamy mousse.

What does it do?

Cleans leather surfaces without leaving any softening agents or other residues behind.

When do I use it?

Before installing the GYEON Leather Coat.

Why should I use it?

To properly prepare leather surfaces for application of and bonding of the GYEON Leather Coat.

My comments...

This is the first time I've used this product. I've used tons of leather products including,

• Leather Cleaners
    • Leather Conditioners
    • Leather Protectants
    • Leather Cleaner/Conditioners (all-in-one type products)

While I figured the cleaner would be straight-forward, I wasn't sure what to expect with the coating. So read my review at the bottom of this post

Test car - 2014 Maserati S Q4 Quattroporte

This Maserati cam in for a full paint correction. It also recently had some body work performed and besides all the swirls and scratches, the entire car was covered in heavy overspray paint.

Before working on the outside, I'm going to knock-out the inside using the GYEON Leather Mild LeatherSet Kit

The kit also comes with a brush and one microfiber towels. The brush is for extra scrubbing power that's safe for fine leather surfaces as it won't scratch. I didn't need the brush for this interior but wanted to point out that it is included in the kit.

First I removed the floor mats, all personal items and then blew-out and vacuumed the interior. Next I cleaned all the glass and all the hard plastic surfaces on the dash and console. Now I'm ready to clean the leather surfaces and this model had the full leather upgrade.

The Leather Cleaner comes in a pump bottle and ejects the product out as a thick foamy mousse.

Here you can better see the foamy mousse

The dirt level is not too bad on the passenger side.

After cleaning the front of the passenger seat, I methodically moved around the interior of the car cleaning ALL the leather. Mike Phillips does not skimp or cheat.

The dash is leather too....

The back of the headrest shouldn't get dirty but if you're going to install a real leather coating you need to pre-clean it no matter what.

The steering wheel is usually the dirtiest part of a car interior, besides the floor.

Gross

Eeewww.... the dirt you see that was removed off the leather surfaces isn't like the dirt you grow corn in, it's SKIN GRIME

1. Sweat
    2. Skin oils
    3. Perspiration salts
    4. Acids
    5. Bacteria
    6. Viruses
    7. And of course, "dirt" that's on your hands mixed with all the above

I'm sharing this with your for a reason. Most of you have heard the saying,

It's all in the prep work!

And what that means is the final results, no matter what you're doing, are all created or based upon the initial prep work. And this holds especially true when installing a coating on leather. With a leather dressing or conditioner, applying this producxt will kind of clean-up any cleaning step to create the final result. But with a genuine coating, you need the surface clean so the coating can make a proper bond. Even though this is a low mileage Maserati, it's still been driven and that means - as you can see by the pictures - the interior was dirty or grimy. If you're going to install a leather coating - the most important step is the prep step.

Step 2: Install the GYEON Leather Coating

This was the fast part, basically take the included microfiber finger pocket, dampen it with the coating and then massage it over all the leather surfaces you cleaned.

I always like to pre-dampen any cloth applicator so it's wet with the product. Why? If you try to spread out a liquid with something that's dry and absorbant - you fight yourself. The dry cloth will try to remove the liquid you're trying to spread. So spray a few spritzes of product onto the finger pocket first.

Next coat over and massage in a wet application of the coating. You need to work fast so you can lay down a UNIFORM layer. If you are not careful you can actually leave behind streaks. The microfiber finger pocket works really well to help you leave a uniform coating.

Get it all...

Final results...

The florescent lights in the ceiling were not working to show how the seats actually "look" coated, so I grabbed a SCANGRIP Multimatch light and lit em up.

Review
    This is a really nice kit, especially at the $37.00 price point. You get more than enough of the cleaner and the coating to easily clean and coat a fully equipped leather interior like you see in this Maserati.

The cleaner works great. The foam is helpful in case you're working on perforated leather as it will sit on top better. This didn't apply to this interior but this a nice feature as a LOT of cars with leather interiors have a perforated design. The microfiber towel is a flat weave style and these work well for this type of cleaning. If your interior is dirtier you should use more towels. If your interior is super neglected and dirty then GYEON also offers a kit with a stronger cleaner in it.

The coating is interesting. It's described by GYEON as resin based and it's thin like milk. Kind of looks like milk too. The hard work of course is the cleaning aspect, it took twice as long for me to clean the leather as it did to apply one application of the coating. Overall I spent more time applying the coating however as I applied two coats. You need to do this within an hour and I did notice that the second coat tended to build-up on the first coat and you could see and feel this if you wiped off any excess. I laid down thick or wet coats to the primary seats, the driver's seats as that's where you want the most protection and as long as you spread the coating our thoroughly and quickly it's easy to leave a nice wet looking layer on the leather. If you wait for to long, it will dry and if you have a streak on the surface the streak will dry and be visible. This is not a negative aspect of the product, what it means is you're really laying down a layer of protect and don't goof off.

The coating needs to dry for at least 12 hours before you return the car to service. When I type, return the car to service, this means before you or anyone else sits in the seats. You want the magic voodoo juice, whatever it is to fully dry/bond/polymerize, etc. BEFORE you start disrupting it.

Disrupting = touching it

The feel was smooth to the touch. The looks was a fresh, crisp looking sheen that is completely dry to the touch. The manufacturer states this coating will protect the leather from spills and other bodily fluids for up to 3 months. My guess is the 3 months means continuous use, so if you don't dry the car every day, or for example, you're the only person in the car most of the time, then the coating will last longer on the driver's seat and much longer on the passenger and rear seats.

I would recommend this kit to anyone that has a nice leather interior and want's to protect it with a coating from an established brand like GYEON. It's easy to use, well just as easy as any leather cleaner and conditioner. It leaves the leather looking crisp and luxurious without any foul scent or without leaving the seats feeling tacky or oily. All the products I've ever used from the GYEON brand have always been a great experience and this product didn't let me down.

On Autogeek.com

GYEON Mild LeatherSet Kit

2. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review: GYEON Mild LeatherSet Kit - Leather Cleaner and Coating

Continued....

Like mentioned above, if you have a really dirty and neglected leather interior to clean there is kit available with a stronger, but still safe cleaner.

GYEON Strong LeatherSet

GYEON makes quality product you can trust.

4. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice review. Thank you.
    Bruno Soares

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post

Nice review. Thank you.

Thanks. I really don't like doing interior detailing, never have. It's also a paint to document via pictures unlike most paint related detailing and photo-documenting.

That said, the product was easy to work with, just don't dilly-dally on the coating application aspect.