autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review: Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Polish & Wax

Quote Originally Posted by DMiglio View Post

Great Review, lots of documentation and a nice thorough write up of the process from wash to finish. Thanks for adding yet more beneficial content and information for us all here!
    Thanks, I worked pretty hard on the car and the review. I have an interior review coming from work on this car too...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomkirby View Post

Agree, Professor Paint, yes that is the correct title, Mike has earned doing it all these years.

This type of review is why I enjoy his writing and style. Unlike the YouTube experience, I can follow along his storyline and do not have to sit through the entire video to refresh my memory. And best of all he shares so much to so many, I truly admire his dedication to the detailing community.
    Thanks Kirby,

I could do a half the work on the car and the review but that's not my style.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post

Nice review.

Did you remove with a damp towel as stated in the directions (to remove high spots and activate shine polymers) ?
    Ha ha... nope I missed that. But - all my life, I've never bought into use a wet towel to remove products as it seems that you could be also removing too much product.

I guess I should have re-visited the directions when I noticed the tick sticky wipe-off.

Just to clarify, it's not hard if you wipe off immediately, I tried to leave it longer like I do with the BF One Step. With BF One Step I'll do entire cars and won't wipe anything off until I'm completely done. So could be I've picked up a bad habit.

2. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Continued....

Dirt Stained Paint

Here's another topic I'm always sharing online as well as in my classes and it's how paint gets dirty over time. I'm not talking about loose dirt that will wash off when you wash the car; I'm talking about dirt or pollution or road film that has IMPACTED onto the surface and build-up over time. This shows up like you see in the picture of the pads below.

The pad on the left is brand new, never been used and white like the fresh fallen snow. The pad on the left has been used on just the driver's side of the hood. The color you see is dirt staining and/or road film. Remember, I used a waterless wash AND RUBBED a Clay Towel with a clay lube all over the paint. Any LOOSE dirt would have been removed. What you're seeing on the pad is the dirt, pollution, road film and other junk that has built-up on this car's paint over time. And this is why if you own a daily driver, periodically you need to do some type of polishing process to the paint and glass as well as any hard smooth surface on the outside of the car.

Just to prove this was not a glitch, I'll do it again. That is start with a brand new pad and only buff out the passenger's side of the hood.

BOOM! Dirty Paint

Changing Colors
    When a car has dirt stained paint or a build up of road film, when you machine polish the paint and remove the layer of film - the car will literally change colors as I have shown multiple times on this forum in my articles on this topic. The color will appear brighter and the full richness of color will be restored.

The below are for educational purposes. They explain where the dirt staining comes from and how and why it builds-up on the finish of any car parked outside all the time or driven as a daily driver. The first article explains it all with the pictures....

Road Film - If you drive your car in the rain your car has road film

This second one has pictures showing more examples of the dirt film that impacts onto your car's paint.

Here's why you need to polish paint...

Post Thanks / Like

Ya know Mike, there’s probably some 20-30 pics in this thread, but none of them show that 440 Wedge! Any chance you’ve got some?
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by DMiglio View Post

Ya know Mike, there’s probably some 20-30 pics in this thread, but none of them show that 440 Wedge! Any chance you’ve got some?

Ding dang!

You know this car has been here for at least 3 other projects and I know somewhere I had a picture of the engine but after spending about 20 minutes using Skynet to look for it alas... I cannot find it.

I will get one because it completely packs-out the engine compartment. And when you fire her up... she SHAKES the air around you. (Huge lift camshaft)

Normally I do get the engine picture and meant to in this case, just slipped by me.

6. Thanks RamAirV1 thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Normally I do get the engine picture and meant to in this case, just slipped by me.

This was the only one I could find

CHRIS Aka Waxmaster

8. Likes DMiglio, PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by WaxMaster1 View Post

This was the only one I could find
    Yeah, I took that a few weeks ago while walking through Lew's Cruise cruise-in.

I thought I had a better one of just the engine take a few years ago. Regardless, as soon as this coronavirus is beaten back I'll see the car again and take a picture of the 440 Wedge engine.

10. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool car, great review/write up as always.

Mark me down for one that was not optimistic due to the brand. Seems to have worked well, though.
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    1999 Camaro Z28

Post Thanks / Like

Great writeup, much preferred to the long youtube videos posted by others on the net!

RamAirV1

13. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RamAirV1 View Post
    Great writeup, much preferred to the long youtube videos posted by others on the net!

RamAirV1
    Well said.

One reason I like to get my info on here is the reading.

I really cannot stand a 17 minute video with about 2 minutes of what I want or need to see.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

15. Thanks RamAirV1 thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

More....

Just had a question asked to me about buffing metal trim on a car. Here's what I wrote,

Every time I buff out an old car I always include pictures that show all the pads I used.

When buffing out old cars, I practice and teach in all my detailing classes that you ALWAYS run the buffer over the trim.

This includes,

• Stainless steel trim
    • Chrome trim
    • Nickel Trim
    • Aluminum Trim

T
    hese metals don’t much care what you use on them – the act of a spinning pad and any quality compound or cleaner/wax will remove oxidation and staining and restore brilliance.

Here’s a review I just did for a new product, if you look at some of the pads the have a blackish/greyish color to them. That’s because I buffed out all the trim on the car.

See the pad on the bottom left?

Look how BLACK that pad looks? That didn't come from the paint or glass. That came from buffing out all the trim.

The paint was dirty, I proved this. And the metal trim was OXIDIZED. When the oxidation came off and onto the pad it looks BLACK.

I buffed out the paint, the glass and the metal trim and the end results are.... the ENTIRE car just SCREAMS SHINE!

Some people think I only like to work on old cars. They are so wrong.

I only like to buff out cars that don't have stupid plastic trim - that's new cars. If new cars had trim like this 1963 Plymouth Fury - then I would love to buff out new cars.

It's all about the lazy factor - not the car. A classic muscle car is faster and easier to buff out than ANYTHING with Pebble Textured PLASTIC TRIM - that if you don't tape it off, and accidentally run the buffer over the trim - you'll STAIN it.

With old cars - you PURPOSEFULLY run the buffer over the trim.

Understand the difference?

Yeah - give me a car any day without any exterior plastic trim.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast