autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: The Leatherique Treatment - Leather Rejuvenator Oil and Prestine Clean

Or with a not phone camera from a previous leatheriquing (with the original seats):

^the pristine clean does awesome work on the vinyl, so I just wipe down everything with it when cleaning up the seats.

Newer seats right after a treatment:

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: The Leatherique Treatment - Leather Rejuvenator Oil and Prestine Clean

Quote Originally Posted by Dano shine View Post
    I been using Leatherique for a long time and it’s the only product to use in my opinion
    This is how I apply it.
    1) vacuum seats
    2) I use a square Tupperware container and pour the oil Leatheriqer Conditioner in it along with the applicator. ( you will use a lot of the oil and that’s ok, its better)
    Apply to the seat then I Massage it in with my hands. I find with in an hour or so to check and add more oil it will really absorb if the seats are really dry. Then leave it on for 12-24 hours if you have the time. ( pull the car out into the sun this will help to warm the leather and open the pores)
    3) I get a bucket of warm water and a microfiber towel to clean the seats with the Leatherique cleaner you’ll see how dirty the water will get
    Exchange the water as it gets dirty with warm water and continue.

And wow what a difference you will find the next few days your leather will get softer.
    I’ll probably try this on my Cadillacs seats 1 day. Heard so many good things that I’m curious.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by havasu486 View Post

Thanks Mike,

What is your input on utilizing this product on a new car with heated/cooled seats? 2019 Corvette Grand Sport

Hi havasu486,

When I read your question this morning, I think it is a very good question and a reflection on your part to be pro-active to get more information before making a purchase decision.

I could have answered with a simply reply, like

If you follow the manufacturer's directions, these products will be fine for you Corvette seats.

BUT - because these are the heated/cooled seats and this ain't no Chevette we're talking about it's an iconic American sports car, I knew it would be better to send your question to the manufacturer directly and get their reply.

I sent the question in early this morning and they have already replied back and to me - this is an example of great customer service.

Here's their reply,

It is very, very important to keep new cars with heated/cooled seats properly nourished because the extremes in temperature changes between very cold seats made hot, or very hot leather seats made cool causes very quick deterioration of the hides.

Commercial surface dressings only make the surface shiny and don't actually nourish the hide to keep it supple, healthy and luxurious to the touch.

Using the rejuvenator on a new car is very easy, just massage a few teaspoons of rejuvenator onto the seats and let it soak in. DON'T drench it, just apply as much as you would suntan lotion on yourself.

After it soaks in overnight, buff with a soft cotton towel to remove any contamination from the environment, pollution, pollen, dye transfer from the surface to keep those expensive seats like new for the life of your new car.

Depending on the climate you life in, if the car is garaged or lives outside, you should do the rejuvenator treatment at least twice a year, or three times a year in very sunny climates or if the car is a convertible and you often have the top down.

It's easy to do and will save you thousands of dollars in preserving your interior and not having to replace it after a few years.

Thank you for asking a great question that will also help others into the future with this same question or a similar question.

4. Thanks John U, Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Leatherique.

I used it last year. I found using clear plastic gloves (same gloves you use to test paint roughness) and spraying the oil on the seat and massaging the oil into the seat worked well.

Also heat is the key. Apply early in the morning and let the car sit outside 4-6 hours in the sun. This really helps to activate the oil and can help push the dirt out of the crevices and pores.

Removing it with the conditioner is a pain. Almost needs to be done twice but eventually the sticky film is removed.

Ok that was my take on my experience. I used it on very dirty leather seats and the end result was fabulous.

I wish I took pics.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John U View Post
    On my C7 3LT Napa "leather", water does not soak into the so called "leather" meaning urethane coated. Other teatments I try on it..... rub off with dirt on it later. This is the first I've read that anything will "soak" thru a coated leather... I think mostly imitation leather vs real leather that a drop of water will penetrate.
    Kind of my question too. Can this product be used on coated leather? I have read it both ways over the years
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by RichVolkJr View Post

Leatherique.

I used it last year. I found using clear plastic gloves (same gloves you use to test paint roughness) and spraying the oil on the seat and massaging the oil into the seat worked well.

Also heat is the key. Apply early in the morning and let the car sit outside 4-6 hours in the sun. This really helps to activate the oil and can help push the dirt out of the crevices and pores.

Removing it with the conditioner is a pain. Almost needs to be done twice but eventually the sticky film is removed.

Ok that was my take on my experience. I used it on very dirty leather seats and the end result was fabulous.

I wish I took pics.

Hi Rich,

Thank you for sharing your technique and experience on our forum. Facebook is good but when sent to me in a message - only one set of eyeballs see it.

And because this is your first post to this forum,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Mike Phillips

On my C7 3LT Napa "leather", water does not soak into the so called "leather" meaning urethane coated.

Other treatments I try on it..... rub off with dirt on it later.

This is the first I've read that anything will "soak" thru a coated leather... I think mostly imitation leather vs real leather that a drop of water will penetrate.

Interesting. Almost sounds like you're working on actual vinyl or plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by hoyt66 View Post

Kind of my question too. Can this product be used on coated leather? I have read it both ways over the years

Well I"m not a "Leather Expert" and I've never claimed that title. I would say it's VERY SAFE to say most people know me as a "Paint Polisher". I don't actually like doing interior detailing.

That said, what I showed in this thread was me working on a 2011 Acura RDX Leather Interior. Acura is known for building upscale cars, not bottom feeder transportation.

I can tell you straight-up, whatever this "leather" is - the Leatherique Leather Rejuvenator Oil WENT INTO THE MATERIAL - whatever it is. And it made it look better and feel better.

Mike Phillips

And just to wax on....

If I take a moment to think deep about this topic - and knowing what I know about old school leather "surfaces" as compared to all the new leather "surfaces" that I work on today, I much prefer whatever it is they are putting in cars today than what they put in them decades ago.

It LOOKS better.

In fact, I don't remember looking at the leather interior of a new car, suv or truck and thinking,

Man this looks like crap. I wish this car came with the leather they used in the 1940's

And here's the bigger pictures - whatever all the myriad of leather surfaces are in cars today, at some point, if you want it to look good and last a long time - you need to do "something" to it.

So here's what I've been saying for years, actually decades, (I should write an article about it),

When it comes to making a purchase decision, go with an established brand. Trust that the company has done their due diligence and hired chemists with actual degrees in chemistry that know what they are doing and then follow directions.

As a guy that at one time wrote directions or "label copy", when Meguiar's launched a new product part of my job was to schedule an appointment with the head chemist so he could tell me the information that MUST be on the label. This included warnings, safety and of course the directions on how to best use the product. Kind of makes sense if you think about it.

Now if we assume all established brands/companies follow this same pattern, that is the person writing the label copy gets their directions information from the chemist, then at some point, instead of trying to be the chemist, just go with it.

For what it's worth,

From this article,

Mike Phillips Detail Training Credentials - Know and trust who's teaching your class

Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

On my C7 3LT Napa "leather", water does not soak into the so called "leather" meaning urethane coated. Other teatments I try on it..... rub off with dirt on it later.

This is the first I've read that anything will "soak" thru a coated leather... I think mostly imitation leather vs real leather that a drop of water will penetrate.

What you say makes sense.

Next time I have a C7 in the garage, I'll check to see if it has Napa Leather and then test out a few things.

I have a brand new 2020 C8 Corvette coming in next week or the week after. I know it has a leather interior, not sure what specifically?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast