autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Review & How-to: Pinnacle Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner & Conditioner

Review & How-to: Pinnacle Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner & Conditioner

I had really hot muscle car here at Autogeek's Show Car Garage this week for a very special and RARE project, (more about that tomorrow on Friday October 30th).

The car is a 1969 Dodge Dart GT Sport with a 478 cubic inch Hemi engine with dual quads. I brought this car in primarily for its massive exterior but the timing was perfect to test out the newly reformulated Pinnacle Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner & Conditioner. Most cars have a lot of vinyl surfaces on the inside, even cars with cloth interiors still have vinyl on the door panels, dash, consoles and rear sections of the cars. Cars with leather interiors really only have leather on the face of the seats, that is where you sit and where your back rests. The sides, backs and lower portions tend to be covered in vinyl that matches the color, texture look and feel of the leather portions.

Classic muscle cars from the 1960's and 1970's especially have a lot of vinyl as you'll see in the pictures below so this car served three purposes while it was here for the special project.

Review
    When it comes to maintaining vinyl surfaces I have a quote that has served me well over the years and it goes like this,

"Find something you like and use it often"

I see people all over the forum world and the Facebook world use this quote in conversations and that's because at its core it's true. Purchasing the best products won't keep you car looking new if you never use them so the key is really two-fold, that is purchase quality product and then use them on a regular basis and your car will always look new.

When it comes to interior detailing it's more of a chore than a passion at least for me. Most people that know me would consider me a paint polisher, that is my passion is for perfecting paint and there's a number of reasons for this, at least as it relates to me.

Here's one reason,

In all the years I've been going to car shows I've never seen anyone open the door of a car on display, lift of the floor mat and exclaim,

WOW Jim! Your carpet looks amazing!

That just doesn't happen. What does happen is this however, when people are looking at cars on display at car shows the conversation goes like one of these two conversations....

Wow! What a cool car with an amazing finish!

Or

Sure is a cool car but too bad the paint is all hacked up!

And that is the jist of how the car world works. It's all about the paint as I like to say.

That said, we all still need to detail the interior and when it comes to interior detailing I like products that work great the first time and reduce the time or steps needed to get the job done. For this reason, when it comes to vinyl surfaces I prefer to use an all-in-on product that will clean, condition and protect in one step.

The new Pinnacle Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner & Conditioner works great for cleaning, conditioning and protecting in one step. The new formula cleans better so it works great for neglected vinyl and rubber surfaces and then leaves the surface looking renewed without making it greasy or shiny like plastic.

If you're looking for a great one-step cleaner & conditioner I recommend getting a bottle of this and then like my quote states, find something you like and use it often. You're going to like the product I'm confident of this and how often you need to use it all depends on how you use your vehicle. For some people using it once a month to clean, condition and protect will be the best plan of attack and for others using this product 2-3 times a year will keep your car's interior looking pristine. You can make that judgment call.

As far as how to use a one-step product like this here's a few tips...

For extra grimy surfaces use the product heavy or wet. This means use a lot of product.

This interior was fairly grimy so I sprayed some on my microfiber towel and then onto the surface, this would be considered using the product heavy or wet.

For surfaces that are only lightly dirty or for regular maintenance, (most of the car owning population), then simply dampen one side of a folded microfiber towel and the apply, work over the surface and then wipe any excess off using the dry side of your microfiber towel or use a secondary dry microfiber towel for the final wipe.

Check it out....

Behind the roll cage there's miles of vinyl....

Shake the bottle well before use and then spray some directly onto the face of a clean microfiber towel folded four ways.

Not only does this dampen the towel with the cleaners, conditioners and protectants but this is a technique you can use to avoid getting overspray onto non-vinyl surfaces like gauges on the dash.

Spray some directly onto the surface to be cleaned, conditioned and protected
    Anyplace your skin touches will tend to be grimier plus the faces of the seats. This is because human skin emits perspiration which is oily, salty and even acidic. Perspiration attracts dirt so places your skin touches will always tend to be the grimiest.

Then work the product over the surface. The dirtier or grimier the surface the more you work it. You might even what to do a second application for excessively grime vinyl.

When cleaning the dash be sure to spray our towel and not the dash otherwise you'll end up with overspray on the inside of the windshield and that's never any fun to try to remove.

Tach it up tach it up buddy gonna shut you down! -Shut down by the Beach Boys

Gross....
    Normally I would fold my towels to use all the sides and even use more than one towel but for demonstration purposes I used just this one side to show you even show cars need to be cleaned. How much more so your car?

Mike Phillips

Re: Review & How-to: Pinnacle Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner & Conditioner

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful, pictures speek a thousand words

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the review.

From the 16oz bottle, how much product did you used on the Dodge Dart GT?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Zelfiris View Post
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for the review.

From the 16oz bottle, how much product did you used on the Dodge Dart GT?

I could go out an measure but I'd say about a 1/3 of the bottle. This might be a show car but it's owned by a true gearhead and he's more about driving his hotrods then keeping them ready for the next concours.

He also owns the 1941 Chrysler with the wild flam job you see on the cover of my Flex 3401 how-to book. This one....

This car will be back in April for a NEW project.

Post Thanks / Like

As always excellent review!! Pinnacle makes awesome products!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post

As always excellent review!! Pinnacle makes awesome products!

Thank you sir!

The owner was happy with the inside and the outside...

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful review Mike! That interior looks great!

Interested to hear more about that "special project".

Mike Phillips

Shared here as a machine-applied tire cleaner/dressing all-in-one.

Machine Polishing Mag Wheels with BLACKFIRE Metal Polish & Metal Sealant

BEFORE

AFTER

How I applied it...

10. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post