autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review: Wolfgang Si02 Paint Sealant

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post

Beautiful work Mike! I agree on the sanding approach.

While a lot of us would have liked to jump right in on the deep end of starting with a more aggressive sanding approach for this project, a few things would have kept us from doing so. One of them being the quality of paintwork.

That's how I was thinking, play it safe. I found out the painter is supposed to have a great reputation although I've never heard of him. He supposedly put a lot of paint on the hood and that could be the reason for the mottling.

Either way, when I'm in doubt I take the safe way, not the "Mike will buy you a new paint job" way.

Starting with 5K is a great place to get going and knock out some of the imperfections while really increasing the D.O.I.
    To go from this,

To this,

and it really looked like this with dramatically improved D.O.I. - well that's success to me.

Note: I had a hard time capturing the D.O.I. when holding the camera at the same distance as the before pictures and when I got up close it darkened the picture.

Also - I machine sanded twice with #5000 grit. I was only going to sand once but I didn't get the pictures I wanted from the first sanding so I re-sanded to get the pictures I wanted and while doing the second sanding process I did the full meal deal, that is about 10 to 12 section passes over each section of paint sanded. (both times)

And with the new WSi02PS, it looks to add so much more than just the icing on the cake. What a finish that is displayed!
    The owner was happy. I know the way it looked AFTER I warmed the entire car over is more of what he was always hoping his bitchen 1967 Camaro Convertible would look like, not how it looked in the before state.

This is one of the reasons I like to detail cars. I meet people that own something cool but it doesn't look right. They can't fix it and they don't trust anyone else to "touch" their toy. So it simply looks like crap all the time they own it. Then, somehow fate works it's magic and like many of you, my name gets passed onto the car owner and he takes a chance on me and the results are exactly what he's hoped and dreamed about when it comes to his cool car.

A story with a happy ending.

2. Likes Mike@DedicatedPerfection liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post

Impressive write up!!!

If the stuff is anything like DGPS then it surely is legit.

I’m assuming it has the same or better durability???
    On paper, because it includes Si02, it should have better durability

Quote Originally Posted by zv300 View Post

Now onto the most important question, would this be more durable than DGPS? Not into the glassy-look, especially on my black car, but if this stuff if more durable than DGPS then I would get it then top it with Fuzion to add some warmth.

Good question and same answer as above, because it includes Si02 it should have better durability and longer protection.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post

Does Wolfgang give any ballpark durability claims?

I know that actual durability depends on many factors, but I am able to get a good 6 months from DGPS.
    I just scanned the product page and didn't see any claims for durability. My guess would be for the person that gets 6 months durability from Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 - if applied correctly and treated the same way for washing, drying and wiping, you would get at least that for this new product and probably longer.

Wolfgang Si02 Paint Sealant

Great questions guys, thanks for asking.

4. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Also just to add for all of those that will read this thread into the future, (I always type for the future, never the present)

The question of,

How long will product X last?

Comes up all the time and I wrote an article that I think explains the answer really well. You can find it and read it here,

How long will a ceramic coating last on my car?

Note the title states CERAMIC COATING but in reality, I answer the question and the answer would be true for ANY LSP or paint protection product.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Guys,

Trying to discern the differences of WG Uber Ceramic Spray and the Si02 Paint Sealant? Wanting to try but a little lost in these new technologies...

Thanks,
    Wig

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wig View Post
    Guys,

Trying to discern the differences of WG Uber Ceramic Spray and the Si02 Paint Sealant? Wanting to try but a little lost in these new technologies...

Thanks,
    Wig
    Application is an obvious difference. CSC likely has better long term longevity and easier to apply. The sealant has strong sealant properties and may or may not resist etchings better. My testing has found that the sealant has slightly better water behavior up front. Here’s a thread that has new comparison tests in progress (Mike also has one I couldn’t find right away):

New Wolfgang Ceramics vs DPGS hood test!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

@ acuRAS82

I may go with the WG Ceramic Spray as the heat and dust here in the desert can be brutal on your paint. Would I be able to add a layer of Souveran Wax on top of the ceramics after it has cured? I love the warm glow it adds to my silver finish as I don't care super gloss without a little warmth.

Thanks again,
    Wig

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Pic added
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Review: Wolfgang Si02 Paint Sealant-20191012_155332-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wig View Post
    @ acuRAS82

I may go with the WG Ceramic Spray as the heat and dust here in the desert can be brutal on your paint. Would I be able to add a layer of Souveran Wax on top of the ceramics after it has cured? I love the warm glow it adds to my silver finish as I don't care super gloss without a little warmth.
    Thanks again,
    Wig
    Sure you can add Souveran on top. It will supersede the coating properties (self-cleaning, etc.), but you should get the change in look.

FYI, I don’t know for sure which of CSC or sealant has better longevity. Was just a guess. As far as looks, Souveran would also probably look great on the sealant. But traditionally, I *think* truer coatings do best in desert atmosphere.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Sure you can add Souveran on top. It will supersede the coating properties (self-cleaning, etc.), but you should get the change in look.

FYI, I don’t know for sure which of CSC or sealant has better longevity. Was just a guess. As far as looks, Souveran would also probably look great on the sealant. But traditionally, I *think* truer coatings do best in desert atmosphere.
    Thanks and will find all the products needed to prepare my car for the coating and looking forward to this detail.

One last question ?

If I use the WG Ceramic Spray Coating, which of my current products could I use for paint correction?

- Pinnacle Black Label Surface Cleaning Polish
    - Pinnacle Advance Finishing Polish
    - Pinnacle Advance Swirl Remover
    - Pinnacle Jeweling Wax

Wig : )

Mike Phillips

The finishing polish or the swirl remover

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast