autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Wolfgang Si02 Paint Sealant

This stuff looks great! WGDGPS is my all time favourite sealant. Hard to imagine something even better. Will have to try some when my DGPS runs out.

Curious how it will fit into the lineup? It's the same price as DGPS, is it meant to be a replacement or will it continue to be sold alongside it?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Now onto the most important question, would this be more durable than DGPS? Not into the glassy-look, especially on my black car, but if this stuff if more durable than DGPS then I would get it then top it with Fuzion to add some warmth.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post

Impressive write up!!!
    Thanks. I kind of thought their might be some interest in machine sanding to match surface texture. The hood repaint didn't come close to the finish quality of the adjacent panels.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post

If the stuff is anything like DGPS then it surely is legit. I’m assuming it has the same or better durability???
    First - I've only used this on this one old 2-door Camaro but my guess would be with the addition of the Si02 the protection and longevity will be better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zv300 View Post
    Now onto the most important question, would this be more durable than DGPS? Not into the glassy-look, especially on my black car, but if this stuff if more durable than DGPS then I would get it then top it with Fuzion to add some warmth.
    Or perhaps Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Spray Coating or Wolfgang Si02 Paint Sealant...Similarities, differences?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post

I know we all, as good Geeks, stress that polishing and prep is 85-95% of the gloss, but I’ve always been one to polish as well as I can regardless of what I put on the car as an LSP.

So my 85-95% is going to be as good as I can do for the task and time.

That's a good way of looking at it.

The car was shiny when it arrived and to the casual onlooker, most people would think it was a nice looking car. But after addressing the major scratches on the trunk like and machine damp sanding the hood, the next step was a thorough compounding and this is really where the major magic happened.

The compounding step removed all the haze caused my the millions of shallow swirls throughout the finish, this is like cleaning a glass window so you can see the true color under the clearcoat. So besides creating gloss, compounding followed by polishing restores clarity to the clearcoat and this can literally change the color of the car.

Of course, a quality LSP is also a part of the end results.

I think I had a total of about 16 hours into the car but part of that was also cleaning and restoring the vinyl top and then cleaning and restoring the vinyl interior.

I'll have the write-ups for those two aspects of this project up as soon as I can get to it.

6. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That is really impressive!

Great job and write-up on that, Mike.

Does Wolfgang give any ballpark durability claims? I know that actual durability depends on many factors, but I am able to get a good 6 months from DGPS.

Just curious........
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a question, can you simply reapply the sealant down the road when you want to refresh?

I'm not a fan of "topping" or layering different products and one of the reasons I'll grab a durable sealant is I can easily add another layer halfway through the year or so.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mike, could you use this to top Uber SiO2 spray coating? Similar to topping wgdgps with fusion. Curious.

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful work Mike! I agree on the sanding approach. While a lot of us would have liked to jump right in on the deep end of starting with a more aggressive sanding approach for this project, a few things would have kept us from doing so. One of them being the quality of paintwork.

Starting with 5K is a great place to get going and knock out some of the imperfections while really increasing the D.O.I.

And with the new WSi02PS, it looks to add so much more than just the icing on the cake. What a finish that is displayed!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by R/TED View Post

Hi Mike, could you use this to top Uber SiO2 spray coating?

Similar to topping wgdgps with fusion.

Curious.

Sure.

Normally I wouldn't say to top a Si02 coating with a conventional car wax or synthetic paint sealant because you'll exchange the benefits and features of the Si02 Coating for the lesser benefits of the wax or sealant.

But in this case, I would say while it may be a zero-sum-gain, it couldn't hurt and both work great.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast