autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Spray Coating

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    We need some pics of your Mopar, dude!!
    Yeah I need to work on that. I have had my 2019 for just over a year and still no really good pictures. I see Mike's outstanding car pictures and I have a lot of progress to make on mine. He makes it look easy and we know that it is not.

RamAirV1

2. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    The Ceramic Spray definitely darkens compared to DGPS. I’ve only don’t small test areas can only say they both look glossy, DPGS in the smooth, sealant type way. CSC darkens and has the clarity look.
    Thanks for that.
    Has it got more of a glassy look than gloss?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeteT19640 View Post
    Thanks for that.
    Has it got more of a glassy look than gloss?
    Yeah, it has more of a ceramic glassy look.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it has more of a ceramic glassy look.
    Thanks
    I have WGPS 3.0 on there now.
    For prep all by hand:
    Clay if necessary
    Meguiars 205 or 3m Perfect Machine Polish 06094 by hand?
    WG Paint Enhancer
    Uber Perfect Finish Paint Prep
    WG Spray Coating

Can I use Meguiars Even Coat applicator for coating?

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks
    I have WGPS 3.0 on there now.
    For prep all by hand:
    Clay if necessary
    Meguiars 205 or 3m Perfect Machine Polish 06094 by hand?
    WG Paint Enhancer
    Uber Perfect Finish Paint Prep
    WG Spray Coating

Can I use Meguiars Even Coat applicator for coating?

Thank you
    I haven’t used 3M polish or Even Coat applicators, but:
    - Either of the two finishing polishes by hand may not remove all of the DGPS if it is a newer coat, so be thorough. Machine would be a great investment and would remove DGPS much easier.
    - No need for WG Paint Enhancer. This is redundant if you’re already using finishing polish.
    - Uber Paint Prep I would use at least two times if you polish with M205. Its oily. Not sure about 3M.
    - Then WG Spray Coating with Even Coat applicator, using a separate MF towel to do final wipe after flashing is done.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven’t used 3M polish or Even Coat applicators, but:
    - Either of the two finishing polishes by hand may not remove all of the DGPS if it is a newer coat, so be thorough. Machine would be a great investment and would remove DGPS much easier.
    - No need for WG Paint Enhancer. This is redundant if you’re already using finishing polish.
    - Uber Paint Prep I would use at least two times if you polish with M205. Its oily. Not sure about 3M.
    - Then WG Spray Coating with Even Coat applicator, using a separate MF towel to do final wipe after flashing is done.
    Ok thanks.
    Doesn't Paint Enhancer prepare the paint for protectants?

Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

Ok thanks.
    Doesn't Paint Enhancer prepare the paint for protectants?

Thanks again
    Yeah, Paint Enhancer cleans the surface while leaving the surface prepped (albeit with oils included) for waxes or sealants. It’s basically a finishing polish with no abrasives (maybe more cleaning chemicals?). Some people still panel wipe for this case. I don’t unless it’s a finicky sealant wax.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

MIke,
    Is there a diifference between the spray you are using to ceramic install and Wolfgang Concours SiO2 Paint sealant in the lotion type bottle?

also with this lotion it says to let dry for 15 minutes. Is this dwell time important to bonding?

And should a second coat be applied for extra protection? Time window to do that?

And, What prep to do a second coat? if any?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by arthur1920 View Post

Mike,

Is there a difference between the spray you are using to ceramic install and Wolfgang Concours SiO2 Paint sealant in the lotion type bottle?
    Yes. One is a thin, water-like spray-on coating and the other is a lotion-like liquid that is much thicker and has to be hand applied or machine applied.

The above is my sense of humor. The honest truth is I don't know. Andre is the guy that works on new products and is allowed to have a closer relationship with our chemists than myself. He would be the guy that can answer that question.

Me? I'm the how-to guy, I share how-to use stuff. My guess is they are very different and my other guess is the spray-on coating is a more durable product versus the sealant product but that's just a guess.

To get to the answer, I have this test taking place. If you look at the Time Stamp in Post #3 - you'll see I started the test on March 30th, 2020 and since then my Lexus has been parked outside in full sun and exposed to rain and the lawn care company. I looked at the paint yesterday and it has a very good film of dirt on it. I have not washed it or touched it any way. I'll do the first wash after 30 days have passed and report what I see. Then repeat every 30 days.

Real World Ceramic Coating Test by Mike Phillips

also with this lotion it says to let dry for 15 minutes. Is this dwell time important to bonding?
    Yes because the bonding process take place in the drying process. This is the case with most car waxes and sealants. I've never been a fan of waxes and sealant that state to Wipe On/Wipe Off. In my brain, when you follow these directions you just wiped off the product. I think these kinds of directions come from marketing people, not chemists.

And should a second coat be applied for extra protection? Time window to do that?
    For which product? the spray-on coating or the sealant?

I'd have to re-read the directions for both or check with Andre as I don't know this info off the top of my head and I don't have the products in front of me. Could be this information is on the AG store page for both products and anyone can click to these pages using the LINKS I include in ALL my reviews and how-tos.

I will say this when it comes to applying any type of paste wax or lotion-like sealant - if it's me doing the work - instead of applying two coats - I do a REALLY GOOD JOB OF APPLYING ONE COAT and then stick a fork in it, call it done and kick it out the door.

And, What prep to do a second coat? if any?
    For both I don't think there would be any pre-application prep - just re-apply back-to-back. I think it woujld be waster of time with the sealant and with the coating? I have know idea. That would be a question for Andre.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks,
    I should probably know this but I don't. Is there a way to contact Andre and ask?

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast