autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Review: BLACKFIRE Iron Remover Gel

Review: BLACKFIRE Iron Remover Gel

BLACKFIRE Iron Remover Gel

What is it?

Spray-on iron contamination remover.

What does it do?

Chemically dissolved iron from clearcoat paint surfaces.

When do I use it?

During the washing step. Normally you use an iron remover on neglected paint during the washing process before a full car detail that includes paint correction.

Why should I use it?

To ensure any and all iron contamination is removed safely from the paint.

From the manufacturer

BLACKFIRE Iron Remover Gel is a formula designed to remove unwanted iron particles from painted surfaces. The thick formula of BLACKFIRE Iron Remover Gel clings to the surface and allows for a longer work time for extreme contaminant removal. BLACKFIRE Iron Remover Gel features a unique active ingredient that changes color when it interacts with iron particles and is easily rinsed away. Plus, BLACKFIRE Iron Remover Gel is easy-to-use!

When you just look at a car, the look can be deceiving. A car may look nice and clean, but once you run your hand along the surface, if it feels rough, then no matter what it looks like, you have contaminants. A lot of the time, these contaminants are iron particles that build up on your wheels or surface, from industrial fallout or brake dust. However, Iron particles don’t always wash away with just water. This is when you need BLACKFIRE Iron Remover Gel.

BLACKFIRE Iron Removal Gel is a high viscosity gel that is thick enough to cling to the surface. When this thick formula sticks to the surface of your car or your wheels, it is allowing for a longer working time, thus giving more time for the complete removal of any contaminants brought on by iron particles. Iron particles are typically caused from industrial fallout, brake dust or even train tracks. These particles are usually hard to see, but easy to feel.

What’s really cool about BLACKFIRE Iron Remover Gel is that it contains a special unique active ingredient where the formula changes colors once it interacts with iron particles. Once you see the formula change to a reddish/purplish color, you know that BLACKFIRE Iron Remover Gel is doing its job and is safe to rinse away.

It is important to note that this product is not intended for anodized aluminum or any other surface that is not clear coated.

DIRECTIONS:

* Do NOT use on anodized aluminum or any other surface that is not clear coated.

1. Apply only on cool surfaces and out of direct sunlight.
    2. Spray BLACKFIRE Iron Remover Gel directly onto the painted surface and allow to dwell.
    3. As the product comes into contact with iron particles, you’ll see the color start to change.
    4. Once the color has changed, the product can be safely rinsed away. DO NOT allow product to dry on the surface.
    5. Continue around the entirety of the vehicle.

Spray BLACKFIRE Iron Remover Gel onto a cool surface out of direct sunlight.

Allow the product to dwell for a few minutes but don't let it dry before rinsing off.

If there's any iron contamination present, you'll see the color changing effect. The Iron Remover Gel is clear when sprayed out of the bottle but if there is iron contamination, as it chemically dissolves the iron the spray-on gel will turn a dark purple/red color. This is the color changing effect that tells you it's working. It's easier to see on light colored cars but it works on any color of car if there is iron contamination present.

Thick Gel that CLINGS to vertical surfaces instead of running off onto the ground

In these next few pictures you can see just how thick this new gel formula is by the way it stays on the vertical surface just below the headlight.

Here you can see how it almost looks like some kind of goop...

Look how THICK this gel is!

Here's a straight up and down surface and it clings to the side instead of running onto the ground. Any other iron remover would be cleaning the ground by now.

Next rinse the iron remover gel off the body panel with a strong spray of water.

Review

Now days, it's common to have dissolved iron in both city water and well water. Each time you wash your car or anytime a sprinkler sprays your car with water the paint becomes contaminated with iron build-up. There's also iron in the air in the form of pollution, fallout and actual metallic dust particles from the rotors on cars, (when the brakes are applied the rotors wear down), and from trains wheels called rail dust. Rail dust comes from the friction created by the metal to metal contact between steel wheels and steel train tracks. All this stuff is in the air or in the water and causes iron contamination to the outside of your car. There are lots of iron removers on the market but only BLACKFIRE offers you an iron remover that comes as a thick gel that clings to the surface instead of running off and onto the ground.

It's a good idea to do a thorough cleaning of your car's exterior once or twice a year, depending upon how you use the car and whether or not the car is ever parked inside a garage, away from the environment. If you use an iron remover and don't see any color changing effect that's actually a good thing. While it's cool to see the color changing effect this means your car's paint and exterior is or was contaminated. This kind of contamination causes deterioration of the surface. So it's actually better to use an iron remover and NOT see the color changing effect and take comfort in knowing your car is/was not contaminated. BUT - you won't know until you use the product.

If you're currently using a thin liquid iron remover, then give this a try. You'll love the cling and dwell time it offers. If you've never used an iron remover before, then this is a great product to use your very first time.

One more thing - the smell or odor or in this example, the SCENT. Most iron removers smell horrible. If you've ever been around a hair salon where someone is getting a Perm, then you know what an Iron remover smells like. But not BLACKFIRE Iron Remover Gel. I'm not sure what the scent is but it's definitely not a foul odor. It's always nice when detailing your car to use products that smell nice.

On Autogeek.com

BLACKFIRE Iron Remover Gel

Mike Phillips

Re: Review: BLACKFIRE Iron Remover Gel

Continued....

Here's a video showing this product in action....

Mike Phillips

One more resource....

Here's an article I wrote back in 2017, it's worth a read-through...

The Car Insurance Analogy for using an Iron Remover by Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

New video

Thick stuff!

Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

I like the gel idea as it’s thicker and gives a better dwell time on vertical panels!

I have been liking the Meguiars version as it is sprayable yet thicker....kinda the perfect balance for my liking.

The video you have looks like when you are spraying it, that it only streams out because it’s so thick. Was that done intentionally or is it that thick?
    Jim

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post

I like the gel idea as it’s thicker and gives a better dwell time on vertical panels!
    I was impressed with how thick this stuff was, a lot thicker than I thought before I used it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post

I have been liking the Meguiars version as it is sprayable yet thicker....kinda the perfect balance for my liking.

The video you have looks like when you are spraying it, that it only streams out because it’s so thick. Was that done intentionally or is it that thick?
    It's due to the thickness. Same issue when trying to spray the BLACKFIRE Bug Blocker - it's very thick and does not spray well. That's the characteristics of thick products when you try to spray them.

Post Thanks / Like

Perfect Mike. Thank you for your response. Exactly what I was looking for!!!

Looks like I will be trying out!
    Jim