autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Review: Pinnacle Black Label Waterless Wash and Protect

Review: Pinnacle Black Label Waterless Wash and Protect

Pinnacle Black Label Waterless Wash and Protect

What is it?

Spray on waterless wash

What does it do?

Enables you to wash your car without a water hose, bucket, wash mitt and drying chamois

When do you use it?

Anytime you don't have access to running water.

Why should I use it?

Do get your car clean fast and easy anytime and anywhere with scratch-free results.

From the manufacturer

DIRECTIONS
    -Apply on a cool surface, out of direct sunlight.
    -Liberally spray Pinnacle Black Label Waterless Wash & Protect directly onto the surface to be cleaned.
    -Using plenty of microfiber towels, wipe excess product away.
    -Change microfiber towels often to avoid cross contamination.

My comments

I use waterless washed when I detail muscle cars, streetrods classics and antiques. The reason why? As a professional courtesy to the owners of these types of cars I don't introduce water to places I can't reach with a drying towel so as not to cause rust. I also use waterless washes on modern cars whenever I don't have access to a water hose and bucket for a traditional wash job. The key is lots of towels and also spraying down a heavy or wet application of product, this means spray down a lot of product.

Mike's Pro Tips

Tip 1

Use lots of microfiber towels when using a waterless wash. The more towels the better. A good rule of thumb is one towel per panel and even two towels for larger panels. A 2-door passenger car has 9 panels.
    1. Roof.
    2. Hood.
    3. Trunk lid.
    4. Driver's side front fender.
    5. Driver's side door.
    6. Driver's side rear fender.
    7. Passenger side front fender
    8. Passenger side door.
    9. Passenger side rear fender.

9 panels = 9 towels, one for each panel.

Spread the product over a panel with one side of the towel and remove the product using the other side of the towel. If you want to be super careful, then spread the product with one towel and wipe the residue off with a separate clean, towel, this would mean using 18 towels. You get the idea. How many towels you use depends on how careful you want to be. Here's one of my quotes for the car detailing world,

It takes hours to buff out a car, it takes seconds to put in scratches -Mike Phillips

When it comes to maintaining your car's finish, how good the paint looks and for how long it looks good all comes down to how you touch it. And when we touch our cars, it's usually with some type of wash mitt, microfiber towel or drying towel.

Tip 2

Anytime you're using a DRY microfiber towel to apply, spread or remove a product off of car paint, it's easier for your hand to grip or hold the towel if the side you're hand will be touching has a little moisture on it. Test what I say and you'll see I'm right. So when using a waterless wash, after spraying the product onto a panel, also mist a little onto the side that you're hand will grab and it will be easier to hold and use the towel. Here's another one of my quotes for the detailing world,

Sometimes the little things are the big things -Mike Phillips

Here's the new product and I have 18 Cobra 530 Microfiber Towels to tackle my Lexus RX 350

One dirty daily driver

It's been months since I've given the Golden Eagle a proper wash. Golden Eagle is the nickname I've given the Lexus RX350. It's a joke name for my mundane daily driver but tell you what... she's reliable as rain.

Lot's of road film or traffic film as they say across the pond. Because it can be hard to see the layer of road film on metallic gold paint, I've take the extra time and step to fully photo-document the true and accurate dirt level for any doubting Thomas's.

That layer you see is both dirt and road film. If you don't know what road film is, see my article here.

Paint on hood looks clean to the untrained eye....

But up close there's some kind of bonded bug turds or something on it.

You can easily see the layer of dirt and road film on the chrome bits, but is you extrapolate it out, (that is "think" about it), this same layer of dirt and road film on the chrome parts is over the rest of the exterior or the car, it's just harder to see on the paint due to the light color.

The only clean parts on this car are where the wipers travel over the glass.

Time to test...

I think you'll agree, I did a good job of photo-documenting the RX350 is dirty.

Spray, spray spray...

Wipe, wipe wipe....

Spray, spray spray...

Wipe, wipe wipe....

Spray, spray spray...

Wipe, wipe wipe....

To the back of the car, usually the grimiest...

Spray, spray spray...

Side glass...

Wipe, wipe wipe.... and so on and so on until I've cleaned the entire exterior.

Here's the results using only the PBL Waterless Wash and Protect.

I counted 12 dirty, used microfiber towels.

Shiny and clean again in about 20 minutes - "yes" I timed myself.

Review

The cleaning ability was more than enough to tackle the oily dirt film on the car and glass. Dirt will dissolve with water but oily road film requires some form of cleaner that can emulsify the oily component. The working time was more than adequate meaning the product stayed wet on the surface instead of evaporation off and drying out. Wipe off was easy and here's the think I like and the thing you'll like to when using this product as a maintenance wash - it left the paint feeling slick and slippery. My guess is that's the "protection component" in the formula that creates a hydrophobic surface or water-fearing surface.

The product worked great and as advertised. The pictures are accurate and show via before and after what I was able to do with a car that has not been washed in months. If it will clean this dirty SUV then it will likely clean your dirty car too.

On Autogeek.net

Pinnacle Black Label Waterless Wash and Protect

Cobra Supreme 530 Microfiber Towel - 12 Pack

Mike Phillips

Re: Review: Pinnacle Black Label Waterless Wash and Protect

Continued...

Here's a video showing this product in action...

Post Thanks / Like

How long does the “protection” last? Like a QD?

Post Thanks / Like

How much product is left behind in the bottle after cleaning that SUV? I’m wondering if there’s much left since you have to spray a lot to clean it.

Because you have to use a lot of product, does it come in a gallon size?
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I got a few weeks out of WG WW “protection”. It linearly degraded throughout this time and was pretty much dead by the end... but was rained on quite a bit throughout.

Haven’t tried PBL yet though.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post

I don't know off hand. A person would have to set-up a CONTROLLED experiment to find that answers. This would likely include washing a car and we can no longer wash cars outside here at Autogeek.

I have fired off an e-mail to see if I can get more info.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post

How much product is left behind in the bottle after cleaning that SUV?
    I actually do pay attention to the amount of product used when detailing a car. I actually have posted articles about this in the past.

I used half the bottle, that is 8 ounces to wash my Lexus. I used the other half to wash this old 2-door Plymouth.

Review: Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Polish & Wax

Continued...

Test Car - 1963 Plymouth Fury

This is a former Drag Car with a 440 Wedge Big Block and Dual Quad Carburetors

I took these pictures when the car first arrived. From this distance and lighting, the paint looks good?

The real truth is the car is dirty. She's parked outside 7 days a week, 24 hours a day as the garage hold other toys that beat this one out.

Dried Bird Poo

Here you can see the dirt level....

I used and reviewed this product here a few weeks ago on my own car and it worked great. With a half a bottle ready to use, let's put it to work.

Now you can really see the dirt level....

Remember - the correct way to use a waterless wash is with lots of towels.

That's better - now the car looks clean because she is clean.

I'm so glad I PHOTO-DOCUMENT all my work. (who else in our industry does this?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post

Because you have to use a lot of product, does it come in a gallon size?

I don't see it on the PBL store page in gallon jugs. But - it might just be a "time thing" and they will get to it.

Great questions Bill - thank you for asking.

Post Thanks / Like

My pleasure, Mike.

WW is something I always have on hand for routine touch ups. It’s probably the single most thing I need in a gallon. Right now I have McKee’s but I’m always looking into something new and different to try.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the article, Mike.

When I am doing a rinse less or waterless wash on a car that has "larger" dirt on it (like those bug turds on your Golden Eagle) I always worry that somehow they will get dragged across the paint. For example, suppose that bug turds were at the start of a fresh wipe/side -- what stops them from being dragged across the paint for the rest of that wipe? Do you perhaps have any tips/tricks for keeping larger dirt like that from getting dragged on the paint?

(As for what I do in such a case: usually I will stop mid-wipe and switch to a new side if I pick up something larger like those bug turds. This is pretty inefficient though. I also try to use a deeper nap tower. The Cobra 530 your using here do have a deep nap I think, but I'm not sure they are the deepest nap towels out there.)
    Last edited by vaced; 06-02-2020 at 07:24 PM. Reason: reword a potentially misleading statement

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vaced View Post
    Thanks for the article, Mike.

When I am doing a rinse less or waterless wash on a car that has "larger" dirt on it (like those bug turds on your Golden Eagle) I always worry that somehow they will get dragged across the paint. For example, suppose that bug turds were at the start of a fresh wipe/side -- what stops them from being dragged across the paint for the rest of that wipe? Do you perhaps have any tips/tricks for keeping larger dirt like that from getting dragged on the paint?

(As for what I do in such a case: usually I will stop mid-wipe and switch to a new side if I pick up something larger like those bug turds. This is pretty inefficient though. I also try to use a deeper nap tower, but the cobra 530s that you are using here are not the deepest nap towels out there, so maybe that doesn't matter very much)
    Try grabbing the towel folded in fours with open sides in between thumb and index. As you are dragging across paint roll your hand cupped from face down to face up. That way when contact point comes into contact with big particles you are rolling that section off paint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Thanks vaced thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast