autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

Review & How-to: GYEON Q2 Matte 50ml by Mike Phillips

Review & How-to: GYEON Q2 Matte 50ml by Mike Phillips

I was recently asked to coat a matte paint finish on a brand new 2020 Mercedes-Benz CLA250. I've coated many panels before using various products specifically formulated for use on matte surfaces but this would be the first time I've ever applied a ceramic coating to an entire car with a matte finish paint job. This is the factory paint from Mercedes-Benz which is a $2,500.00 option upgrade when you order a Mercedes-Benz new from the dealership. The exact name of this specific paint is,

designo Mountain Grey Magno

Before I go any further, I want to give a shout-out to my good friend Jeff McEachran at GYEON. I know Jeff is an expert on the GYEON line of products and I'm a firm believer in this quote from Eleanor Roosevelt

“Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.”

So before diving in head first, I called Jeff and talked to him about the unique characteristics of this type of paint, (his detail shop coats this type of paint all the time), and the unique characteristics for the GYEON Q2 Matte Ceramic Coating. Jeff told me to follow normal protocols to prep the paint for coating, which I did. Then when applying the GYEON Q2 Matte, apply a thick, wet coat to the normal application size area, about 2' by 2'. Wait about 10 to 15 seconds and then gently wipe the panel to help apply or install a uniform layer of product as well as to remove any excess high spots before the coating could set-up. Then, to install a second layer, wait for 1 to 2 hours, but no longer than this, and apply a second thick or wet application.

The reason for the wet or thick application is because matte paint has a more textured surface than a basecoat/clearcoat paint system and this textured surface means an increase in overall surface area. A matte finish is also more porous than a smooth clearcoat finish so it will hold or accept more of the nano size particles of coating.

Process
    (sorry no action shots - I was by myself)

Step 1: I washed the car using SONAX Glass Cleaner.

SONAX Glass Cleaner excels at breaking up and removing not only normal dirt but also oily road film and this car had been recently driven in the rain. If you don't know where road film comes from or if you don't know what road film is, then click HERE to read my article on this topic. This article should be mandatory reading for ANYONE that want's to detail cars. Be they enthusiasts or professional detailers.

Road Film - If you drive your car in the rain your car has road film

For the washing process, I used the fluffy side of the Cobra Supreme 530 Microfiber Towel, 16 x 16 inches to wash the lower portions of the car. Unlike most people I started at the BOTTOM of the car first. For these areas I simply sprayed the glass cleaner onto the lower panels.

I PRE-INSPECTED each towel using the method I share here to ENSURE there were not abrasive or sharp particles embedded into the nap that could scratch the matte paint.

How, why & when to inspect your microfiber towels when detailing cars

After spraying the bottom portions of the car down and wiping clean TWICE using the grey Cobra towels, (fluffy side out) - then I started at the top and did a waterless wash using the SONAX Glass Cleaner and Forrest Green Edgeless towels.

For drying the car I continued to used my favorite microfiber towel, the Forrest Green Edgeless towels and of course YES I pre-inspected each side of these towels before use.

Step 2: I wiped each panel twice using GYEON Q2 Prep.

GYEON Q2 Prep is a panel wipe that offers excellent chemically stripping ability while at the same time lubricating the surface as is much as is possible. The goal here is to remove ANY substance that could interfere with the proper bonding of the GYEON Q2 Matte Ceramic Coating. After washing and wiping dry, I'm not sure that there would be any substance left by the SONAX Glass Cleaner but if there was - the GYEON Prep removed it. For this I used my favorite microfiber towel for doing solvent wiping and that is the GYEON Bald Wipe Microfiber Towel 16" x 16". Anyone that has attended ANY of my car detailing classes knows why I use and recommend this specific towel when chemically stripping scratch-sensitive paints.

Step 3: Install the GYEON Q2 Matte

Following Jeff's directions as well as the paper directions included with the product, I used a crosshatch pattern making 4 passes over each section coated. Next I waited for 10 to 15 seconds and then wiped the section with a pre-inspected Forrest Green Edgeless Microfiber Towel. After installing the coating to one section I then moved onto a new section and overlapped a little into the previous section when tackling large panels like the hood. For individual panels, I applied to the entire panel at one time and then wiped.

Step 4: While the first installation was curing I machine polished the glass using BLACKFIRE Glass Water Spot Remover.

I used the CBEAST with Buff and Shine 6" Uro-Tech yellow foam polishing pads.

Step 5: After wiping the glass polish off all glass I coated the glass and all smooth surfaces using Pinnacle Black Label Surface Coating.

I applied the PBL Surface Coating to the exterior glass, the side mirrors, (they were smooth plastic), and the other trim on the car with smooth surfaces plus the headlights and the tailights.

Step 6: At approximately the 2 hour mark I installed a second layer of the GYEON Q2 Matte to all matte surfaces on the Mercedes-Benz.

Waiting 10 seconds, each section the coating was applied to was then gently wiped using the Forrest Green Edgeless Microfiber Towels.

Here's the only pictures I have to share from this coating installation.

The GYEON Q2 Matte 50ml kit comes with,

GYEON Q2 Matte 50 ml
    GYEON Q2M Cure Matte 100 ml
    1 Coating Applicator Pad
    4 Suede Microfiber Cloths

I used 2 of the suede microfiber cloths, one for each layer. I flipped the cloth over about half way around the car so I used both sides. (I never seen any side get dirty). I gave the owner the bottle of Cure Matte to maintain the coating.

Here's final results...

Nice and matte....

Tires and wheels were cleaned before washing the car

You read my review and how to for washing and cleaning tires without running water here.

Review

Like all GYEON products, the GYEON Q2 Matte is no exception to the rule. It applies smoothly and evenly and while the play-time before wipe-off in an air-conditioned garage is longer than 10 to 15 seconds, I'd follow this rule when working on matte paints. The reason why is because GYEON coating chemistry bonds to the surface instantly. As in seconds if not nano-seconds. If you're new to ceramic coatings this can be hard to wrap your mind around because you're probably use to applying traditional car waxes and synthetic sealants where you need to wait for these product to first DRY before you wipe them off so they leave themselves behind.

No so with GYEON. Like I always teach in my classes, start by reading the directions. When I worked for Meguiar's as their Corporate Writer, anytime I wrote label copy for new products or updated products, at some point I would have to make an appointment with the head Chemist as he would tell me how the products should be applied. In other words, the person that makes the product is the best person to explain how to use the product.

Assuming all other reputable companies follow this protocol, the best place to figure out how to use a product is to..... read the directions. Of course, I'm not above calling in a favor from a buddy that not only represents the brand but is also a hands-on detailer with year of real-world experience.

The resulting finish on the paint was as expected, matte looking. The coating did not alter in anyway how the paint looked. It did make the paint feel smoother and slippery.

Water beading
    The next day I poured some water out of a a cup onto the hood and the water beading was tight, tall and small, just like you would expect from any GYEON coating product.

Recommendation
    If you have a matte finish car or a panel on a car with a matte finish, I would highly recommend taking a look at the matter products by GYEON. GYEON product are top shelf all the way and we carry their complete line here at Autogeek.

All GYEON PRODUCTS

Here's everything I used....

On Autogeek.com

GYEON Q2 Matte 50ml

GYEON Q2M Prep - 1 Liter

SONAX Glass Cleaner

Cobra Supreme 530 Microfiber Towel, 16 x 16 inches

Forrest Green Edgeless towels

GYEON Bald Wipe Microfiber Towel 16" x 16"

BLACKFIRE Glass Water Spot Remover

FLEX CBEAST

Buff and Shine 6" Uro-Tech yellow foam polishing pads

Pinnacle Black Label Surface Coating

2. Likes kevinkunkle, Dano shine liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review & How-to: GYEON Q2 Matte 50ml by Mike Phillips

Continued....

Here's some pictures of everything I used....

Grey Cobra 16" x 16" for waterless wash
    Blue GYEON Bald Wipe 16" x 16" for GYEON Prep - (Chemically stripping the paint)
    Forrest Green Edgless Towel for any drying or wiping on the matte paint

SONAX Glass Cleaner as a Prep Wash and GYEON Prep for chemically stripping the paint before installing the coating.

The coating used is the GYEON Q2 Matte in the 50ml bottle

The glass had HORRIBLE Drizzle stains (water stains and water spots), I used the FLEX CBEAST and the BF Glass Water Spot Remover on ALL the glass.

After machine polishing the glass I coated using PBL Surface Coating. It doesn't make the wiper blades chatter, this is why I use it. I also applied it to any other non-matte, smooth surface on the Mercedes-Benz like the headlights, tailights and plastic on side mirrors.

Rinseless wash with a glass cleaner?

Add about 3 gallons of water to a 5-gallon bucket and dump in about a half a bottle of SONAX Glass Cleaner. And I use the Forrest Green Edgeless Microfiber Towels for waterless washing.

That's all...

4. Likes Thomkirby, Dano shine liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Continued...

And here's the link to how I cleaned coated and protected the wheels and tires without running water...

How to wash wheels and tires INSIDE without a water hose by Mike Phillips

6. Likes Dano shine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice write up Mike on how to ceramic coat matte paint.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post

Nice write up Mike on how to ceramic coat matte paint.

Thanks. I should have set-up my camera tripod and taken some action shots.

One thing for sure, anyone contemplating doing this - you DON'T want to make a mistake. Follow the directions I shared above and you won't have any problems.

Unlike a normal paint job, like a clearcoat finish, if you discover high spots, you can polish and/or compound and polish them off the paint and then re-install ceramic coating.

If you leave high spots on a MATTE FINISH - you cannot polish and/or compound and polish the matte paint or you'll make it SHINY.

So watch your technique and be sure to have a great hand-held light to inspect for high spots after treating a section or a panel.

See my article here,

Installing a Ceramic Paint Coating? You MUST have a GREAT hand held light to avoid high spots!

A really great and affordable hand-held light is this one,

SCANGRIP MiniMatch $85.00

It's also important to have great towels.