autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Review SONAX EXCUT and FINAL - Kustom 1950 Ford Coupe - From neglected to respected!

Review SONAX EXCUT and FINAL - Kustom 1950 Ford Coupe - From neglected to respected!

SONAX EXCUT and FINAL

At SEMA this year I had the opportunity to demonstrate the new SONAX EXCUT and FINAL on BLACK paint for 4 days in a row under excruciating lights in front of multiple multiple LIVE audiences.

I've been doing this all my career and here's one thing I know...

Your products better work!

If they don't, take it from me, every Looky Lou in the world that's walking by will instantly become an EXPERT and point out how horrible your products work in front of the world!

Well I'm glad to say, these two products performed as advertised perfectly all week long. So upon returning to Autogeek here in Stuart, Florida, as soon as I had a chance I scheduled a project car and invited some local car guys to give me a hand to put these two new products to the test.

Our victim - a Kustom 1950 Ford Coupe

Here's the SCANGRIP Sunmatch Mighty Mini showing the true condition of the paint. AND - the entire car looks like this.

Test Spot
    Always do a Test Spot before buffing out any car.

Always test the least aggressive product first to see if it will get the job done

For this project we tested the SONAX FINAL with a white Lake Country 6.5" foam polishing pad on the FLEX SUPA BEAST. As you can see, while it removed some of the swirls and scratches it didn't remove enough for our expectations for this car. This car meaning, a custom streetrod with a custom paint job.

Always do your second test in a new section of paint
    If you test a second product you must test in a new section of paint otherwise your test results will be skewed. The reason why is because any testing removes some level of paint and thus some level of defects. This will skew or misrepresent the results from a second test. For this project we simply moved over to the driver's side of the hood.

For our second test we used the Lake Country orange foam cutting pad with the FLEX SUPA BEAST. If you look at the results, the swirls and scratches are removed but there's some light micro-marring. This is from the sharpness of the orange foam cutting pad and was easily removed when we re-polished the paint using the SONAX FINAL and a soft foam finishing pad.

Time to get busy!
    After dialing-in and proving our system, the team started the first step of removing the swirls and scratches using the SONAX EXCUT.

Michel - this is the first time Michel has ever used the FLEX 3401

Here's John, one of our regular local guys and pro detailer....

Here's Dan. Dan took my 3-day Detailing Bootcamp Class this last September and is also a regular at our weeknight projects.

John is also a regular for our weeknight projects and as you can see an IDA Skills Validated Pro Detailer.

The second step - machine polishing
    After the correction step we switched over to the SONAX Final and the Lake Country 6.5" Force Hybrid black foam finishing pad.

The sealing step
    After polishing we machine applied the BLACKFIRE BlackIce Hybrid Liquid Wax. - Sorry no pictures.

And done!

From left to right....

Caio from Brazil, Jeff, Michel from Canada, John, Dan and John

Lots of pad

One thing I try to do for all my write-ups is include how many pads and the different types of pads used for a project. The reason I do this is from experience, I know most guys don't use enough pads. Most guys don't know to use more than one or two pads. This is important because as foam pads become wet with product, they stop doing what they are supposed to be doing.

For example, when a foam cutting pad becomes wet it stops cutting. When a foam polishing pad becomes wet it stops polishing. This is not as crucial when it comes to finishing and waxing pads as they are soft to start with. But anytime you're doing correction or polishing work it's important.

For the correction step I count 8 pad and for the polishing step I count 8 pads. For machine sealing the paint you really only need 1 pad.

Review

SONAX has really upped their game when it comes to abrasive technology. Everything I've used in the past has always been top notch, but their latest introductions to the market on both the heavy cutting side and ultra fine finishing side not only work great but it's the zero dusting and infinity buffing cycle that impresses me and everyone else that uses their products.

The SONAX Cut & Finish Scale
    SONAX uses a unique way to describe their products ability to cut and/or finish. It's real simple to understand too. It's two rows of 6 boxes. The top row signifies the cut level or cutting ability. The bottom row signifies the finish level or finishing ability. So when looking at any SONAX compounds or polishes, simply look at the Cut & Finish Scale to figure out what the product is and what it does.

SONAX EXCUT
    Technically this is what I would classify as a compound/polish. It cuts fast and also finishes out like a polish. On the SONAX Cut & Finish Scale it is a 5-5, this means it has a cut of 5 and finishes out to a gloss of 5. That's impressive for any compound.

SONAX FINAL
    The SONAX FINAL has a cut of 1 and a gloss of 6, to me this would be an Ultra Fine Cut Polish. And this is exactly what's needed for so many of the softer paints or finicky paints on the market where a normal polish tends to have problems finishing out to show car quality on a consistent basis.

Zero Dusting
    Zero dusting and I mean ZERO. Me? Dusting has never really bothered me when it comes to compounds because I'm more of a caveman when it comes to the heavy lifting step. If a compound cuts fast and dusts a little, it don't bother me because I'm gong to wipe each panel off anyways. I'll wipe the dust off when I wipe-off the residue. Dusting is more of a nuisance when it comes to last step polishes as by this time in the process you want the paint surface surgically clean. The good news is neither of these products dust at all. I don't think you could make them dust if you tried and that's because they seem to stay wet on the surface forever during the buffing cycle.

Infinity Buffing Cycle
    As mentioned above, both of these product stay wet on the surface and continue to buff as long as you run the buffer. For anyone reading this that doesn't have a lot of experience with a lot of products, the reason this is nice is because there are some product that have a very short buffing cycle. Short buffing cycle products dry-up fast and also tend to dust. They also tend to be more gummy or sticky on the surface making wipe-off more difficult and tiring. Not the new EXCUT or the new FINAL. Both product buff for infinity and wipe-off is a breeze.

Results
    All of the above is nice but what's most important are the results. SONAX uses amazing abrasive technology and that's where the magic happens. Quality compounds and polishes in today's market have the ability to both remove defects while leaving a defect free finish. In the old days, most every product you used could remove defects but would always leave something behind that you would hope the next product would remove or mask. With SONAX you're always moving forward in the process, each product leaving a great finish with the next product even taking these results to a higher level.

If you need a fast cutting compound and a final polish that finishes out LSP ready no mater what your choice of LSP, then definitely give these new additions to the SONAX line of product a try.

The SONAX Cut & Finish Scale

SONAX uses a unique way to describe their products ability to cut and/or finish. It's real simple to understand too. It's two rows of 6 boxes. The top row signifies the cut level or cutting ability. The bottom row signifies the finish level or finishing ability. So when looking at any SONAX compounds or polishes, simply look at the Cut & Finish Scale to figure out what the product is and what it does.

On Autogeek.com

SONAX Profiline ExCut 05-05 - 1 Liter

SONAX Profiline Final - 1 liter

2. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM, RamAirV1, noorth liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review SONAX EXCUT and FINAL - Kustom 1950 Ford Coupe - From neglected to respected!

Continued...

The below are all Facebook Live videos taken from the start of this process and culminating at the end of the process.

Click on the image to watch the videos. All are very short, 1-4 minutes.

Intro showing the tools, pads and products we're going to use. Turn up the volume, I'm a ways from the phone.

Waterless wash using SONAX Glass Cleaner

Clay video - see the red overspray paint that was on the car

Showing the swirls in the paint using the SCANGRIP Sunmatch

How to do a 2 Step Test Spot

SUPA BEAST Techniques - How to prime a pad and how to turn a 6.5" pad into a 4"

The compounding step including 2 guys that had NEVER machine polished working on the hood.

Machine polishing - and a Test Spot using SONAX FINAL and a tip on doing your polishing section passes

Teamwork - everyone machine polishing with SONAX FINAL

Technique shared is called, Kissing the Finish

Machine sealing the paint using the cordless FLEX FINISHER

Most important technique when working on car paint no matter what tool or products you use

Removing the sealant

Final results - Walk-around-video

4. Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review SONAX EXCUT and FINAL - Kustom 1950 Ford Coupe - From neglected to respected!

The Ford looks great. Big improvement in the clarity and crispness of the shine.

I have a couple questions about these new polishes.

- How does Excut differ from Cut and Finish? According to the little cut/finish scale on the front of the SONAX bottles, they have the exact same properties. Based on your description of how Excut performed, it sounds to me like they serve the same purpose and perform the same way. Is Cut and Finish being replaced?

- A similar question regarding Final. Ex 04-06 is a really good finishing polish with very little cut (despite the "4" cutting grade shown on the label). Is Finish even less abrasive than EX 04-06. Since both are finishing polishes is Finish replacing the other finishing polishes in the SONAX line?
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

The Ford looks great. Big improvement in the clarity and crispness of the shine.
    I agree. When it first arrived, most people thought it looked pretty good and it did to the untrained eye. But there was so much room for improvement. Besides the swirls and scratches, the car was covered in red overspray paint.

I tested by using white colored clay on both the paint and the glass, I'll post the pictures. To your point, with a covering of red overspray paint the pearl white and red and yellow flames were masked. By claying the paint clarity was restored to the clearcoat and this enabled the true colors of the basecoat to shine through, pun intended.

- How does Excut differ from Cut and Finish? According to the little cut/finish scale on the front of the SONAX bottles, they have the exact same properties. Based on your description of how Excut performed, it sounds to me like they serve the same purpose and perform the same way. Is Cut and Finish being replaced?

- A similar question regarding Final. Ex 04-06 is a really good finishing polish with very little cut (despite the "4" cutting grade shown on the label). Is Finish even less abrasive than EX 04-06. Since both are finishing polishes is Finish replacing the other finishing polishes in the SONAX line?

These are great questions and I don't have the answers but I will get them for you.

Mike Phillips

I sent SONAX (yes the company), the link to this thread. Rob McCrary from SONAX provided the answers below in blue text.

Cut and Finish is a Polish that can be used with either a Rotary or DA tool. Excut is a Compound that is designed to be used with a DA machine. The same numbers on both are a little confusing but they do have different reactions with the different machine types. Both products will remain in the SONAX offering with no concerns of either going away.

Final has a whole lot less cut than the EX product. Both finish out nicely but the FINAL is truly a “finishing” product to get the last 3-5% of the paint corrected. EX is a great DA polish with stronger abrasives for more cut. Both of these products will remain in the offering for years to come.

SONAX creates products when the Industry wants or needs products like these. Our Engineers are always working to create liquids that make the art of polishing easier and more effective.

Thanks very much for the great questions and hope this clears up the confusion…

Rob McCrary
    Managing Director
    SONAX

Thanks Rob!

Hope that helps Nate.

8. Thanks Diner, Desertnate thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM, RamAirV1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was also curious about these two products, thanks for the info.

Mike Phillips

I just added 14 short videos from this project that share tips and techniques.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I sent SONAX (yes the company), the link to this thread. Rob McCrary from SONAX provided the answers below in blue text.

Hope that helps Nate.

Thanks, Mike! This is very helpful. I appreciate you reaching out to SONAX for the clarifications.

By the sounds of things, I'm not loosing anything with the EX 04-06 I have now, but the Excut will be a good option for when I need to one-step my vehicles with hard, German paint.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, I am a bit confused. The product description on the AG site for Final says “High-gloss polish with fast-acting sealant”

So I am assuming this isn’t a true polish but an AIO. Am I correct here? This is something to consider if using a coating after using Final.

Thank you
    Jim

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post

Mike, I am a bit confused. The product description on the AG site for Final says “High-gloss polish with fast-acting sealant”
    I read that too and I was surprised. I used this product in the SONAX booth with the SONAX team and for 4 days in a row and treated it like an ultra fine cut polish. I never thought once to read the back label. I was told it was a "polish" so I looked at the front "Cut & Finish Scale", saw that it had a cut of 1 and finished out at a gloss of 6 and never looked into it any deeper.

The Germans use a tick different wording than we do, for example there was a product in their line called Paint Cleaner. It's now called Cleaner/Wax. I pointed out to SONAX that a true paint cleaner ONLY CLEANS the paint, and then you follow it with a wax, sealant or coating. Their Paint Cleaner leaves the surface protected, so technically it's a cleaner/wax or cleaner/sealant or AIO. So they changed the name on the label. (yeah, that was me )

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post

So I am assuming this isn’t a true polish but an AIO. Am I correct here?

This is something to consider if using a coating after using Final.

Thank you

I 100% agree and have sent the link to this thread to SONAX for clarification.

I do have the 1 liter bottle right here in front of me and reading the back label it reads,

Mild, high gloss polish with fast-acting sealant for manual and machine application. Produces intensive, deep colours for a perfect showroom finish.

And yes, that's how colours is spelled on the label. As stated above, the Germans use a tick different wording than we do.

When I hear back I'll updated this thread. But to date, I've treated it like an ultra fine cut polish and applied a dedicated paint sealer over it. But you are correct, if this product does in fact contain a dedicated "sealant" in it, then you would NOT want to use if you were planning on using a ceramic paint coating as there's no way to know if you removed the "sealant" component when chemically stripping the paint in preparation for the installation of a coating.

14. Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast