autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review SONAX EXCUT and FINAL - Kustom 1950 Ford Coupe - From neglected to respected!

Hi Mike, any clarification whether Sonax final is indeed an AIO product or final polish only. Thanks

Mike Phillips

Re: Review SONAX EXCUT and FINAL - Kustom 1950 Ford Coupe - From neglected to respected!

Quote Originally Posted by R/TED View Post

Hi Mike, any clarification whether Sonax final is indeed an AIO product or final polish only. Thanks

Yes.

The FINAL does have some form of protection in it. It's not a lot but enough that if you stopped after FINAL the surface would be sealed.

I'm not at work any longer so I don't have my notes with me. But "yes" this product does contain some form of protection ingredient and thus that would make it an AIO type product. I would not use as an AIO product though unless the paint is in really good condition to start with as it does not offer a lot of cut or correction ability.

Perhaps a good maintenance polish/AIO

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Mike.

Honestly to me, that is a bit of a bummer. Personally I would rather it just be a pure polish. Sonax makes some really really good compounds and polishes. I feel this would have given them that “jeweling” polish missing from their line up.

Thanks again, Mike for doing the leg work on clarifying this as it is much appreciated!
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

I too am disappointed that it’s not a finish polish only. Agree with Dr. Oldz that this would have been a great “jeweling polish”. Mike, do you foresee any bonding issues as far as “topping” this product as you would with any other wax or sealant, for example WGDGPS?

Mike Phillips

I too am disappointed that it’s not a finish polish only. Agree with Dr. Oldz that this would have been a great “jeweling polish”.

I'll pass the link to this thread onto SONAX so they can see what people think. I was caught off guard too.

Mike, do you foresee any bonding issues as far as “topping” this product as you would with any other wax or sealant, for example WGDGPS?

Not at all. The only time "bonding" is an issue is when applying true ceramic paint coatings, or also true polymer or quartz coatings, (not every paint coating is nano ceramic).

And for what it's worth, the topic you've brought up has been brought up now for decades and although I'm not a YouTube Influencer, I've answered this question dating back to,

Here's my first article on this topic - dated Feb 20th, 2005, 02:11 AM

Do Glazes/Fillers affect the bonding of NXT?

And here's my second article on this topic - dated 12-17-2010, 02:32 PM

Miscible and Immiscible - Wax and Paint Sealant Bonding

Good question, been there, answered that. I would never chemically strip car paint after polishing with anything before applying a traditional car wax or synthetic paint sealant unless instructed by the manufacturer. And from my background as the Corporate Writer for Meguiar's, specifically, having to make an appointment with the head Chemist to get his input on how to write application directions for label copy, and assuming all companies have a person that does this, it is the chemist that determines the directions for prep work before application of an LSP.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your time and quick response.

Mike Phillips

Thanks for your time and quick response.
    No problem - happy to help.

Mike Phillips

Shared here,

My new boat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12