autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

Review: BLACKFIRE Metal Polish

Review: BLACKFIRE Metal Polish

BLACKFIRE Metal Polish

What is it?
    A liquid metal polish that can be used by hand or machine.

What does it do?
    It removes oxidation, tarnish, surface staining, minor swirls and scratches from most metal surfaces.

When should I use it?
    Use on neglected uncoated metal surfaces to remove oxidation, tarnish, surface staining, minor swirls and scratches OR use as a maintenance polish to maintain a brilliant shine on polished metal surfaces.

Why should I use it?
    To create a clear, brilliant shine on decorative metal surfaces.

I was given this new metal polish to test and write a review for this week. I'm leaving for the Allentown, Pennsylvania Roadshow Class early tomorrow morning so I didn't have any time to obtain multiple types of neglected uncoated metal objects to test this metal polish on and in fact, I used the Velocity Stacks in my office that I use to run on my Sanger Drag Boat before I added the Indy Champ Air Scoop.

This is me racing on Dexter Reservoir,

Note the velocity stack on top of the Holly 660 Center Squirter Carburetors.

A year later I removed the velocity stacks and installed 2 4" stainless steel carb extensions and an Indy Champ Air Scoop to direct air into the carbs over 80 miles per hour and because it looks cool.

Here you can see the Holley Carbs and the stainless steel extension. If you look behind the scoop you can see the old 76 Gas Station Ball on the top of the radio antennae and if you look at the front of the engine you can see where I bolted a Pioneer Stereo right to the engine. As a rule, when it comes to boats the regularly go over 100 miles per hour, you NEVER drill holes anywhere in the hull. Thus the stereo received it's only metal bracket that attached to the passenger side of the head.

Fun stuff and great times...

Lots of metal polishing experience

In my life, I've owned a LOT of aluminum in the way of boat running gear and slotted mag wheels, and also my Ultimate Knee artificial leg. As such, I've polished a lot of aluminum in my life. So I'm pretty familiar with the products and the process.

There are hundreds of metal polishes on the market and most work really well. The more aggressive or coarse polishes tend to need to be followed with less aggressive products to build on the results of the more aggressive products to finally get you to a brilliant shine. The less aggressive polishes tend to take longer to use and this includes more elbow grease. While polishing out a single carburetor velocity stack is not a full-on test of how well a product performs, this plus years of polishing aluminum, gives me the ability to use and judge just about any metal polish and determine, at least for myself, if the product is any good or not. And... this metal polish is pretty good.

Let's take a closer look....

Yancy has everything set-up in the garage to make a video showing the product. Keep in mind, I've never used this before and the aluminum I'm working on besides being oxidized and tarnished also has a certain level of Av Gas or Aviation Fuel stains that come from the engine backfiring and shooting flames out the velocity stacks. They even smell like gas.

So when you watch the video, you'll see there's no breaks in the filming, I apply it, wipe if off and then you see the results. And when you see me applying it - note I'm not rubbing super hard.

Here's one of the Velocity Stacks....

Here's three different types of material common to aluminum polishing, cotton terrycloth, microfiber and foam. If the metal is severely oxidized and neglected, use old school cotton terrycloth as it's coarser and gives the polish extra bite. If the metal surface is in decent shape use microfiber and if you're doing pro-active maintenance to any metal surface still in great shape, you can use microfiber or foam.

Start by shaking the metal polish really well

It's rather thin in viscosity, don't let the thinness fool you, whatever's in here - it works very well.

Choose your weapon...

I'm going to use cotton terrycloth, been here, done this, ain't fooling around with no microfiber or foam.

Note I'm wearing heavy duty orange nitrile gloves

In the real world I usually never wear gloves I just let my hand get stained. But for video work, I want to send a message to wear some gloves to keep your hands clean, plus these gloves are NICE. These orange gloves are heavy duty and will hang in there even for tough work like this without ripping.

Rub rub rub....

Nice product shot Yancy!

This is called oxidation. It's normal. It's expected. It's why you want to wear gloves.

Wipe off the reside....

I keep scrappy cotton terrycloth towels in the garage for doing work like this. Whatever you use, it's going to get stained, so keep that in mind. Again - it's normal.

And BOOM!

In about 45 seconds of rubbing I have created a chrome-like appearance to old, neglected oxidized aluminum Velocity Stacks.

Yeah buddy!

Pretty easy to see which one is polished and which one still has gas-fire flame stains....

Not bad. And "yes" I could take these results to a higher level with more rubbing or by using a machine to polish but these reflect a part of my life, (no pun intended), and I kind of like the burn marks and oxidation as it reminds me of so much fun I had with that boat for 20 freaking years. Should have never sold the boat.

Review

This is a really nice metal polish. It works well and technically, it's going to work as well as YOU work it. Most metal polishes work well. Some smell horrible and that's because of the solvents or chemical cleaners they use along with the abrasives. This one has no scent or order and that's because it doesn't use any strong or harsh solvents or carrying agents. The abrasive technology seems to be top notch too as even rubbing by hand, the polish didn't induce any polish related marring. The shine it left is very clear. The word used in our industry to describe a higly polished metal surface is brilliant, or brilliance.

Maybe this should have been named,

BLACKFIRE Brilliance Metal Polish

Because it dose leave a very nice and brilliant shine.

If you have a metal polish that you like and works for you then stick with it. If you don't have a metal polish or at least a metal polish you like, then consider giving this a try. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

On Autogeek.com

BLACKFIRE Metal Polish

Orange Heavy Duty Nitrile Gloves - Pick your size

BLACKFIRE Metal Polish

Before

After

2. Thanks Diner, RamAirV1 thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review: BLACKFIRE Metal Polish

More....

Here's a video Yancy and I shot in real-time, no mock-up...

4. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice review and nice work Mike. Came out pretty good by hand. I imagine you could really clean those up and put a shine on them with an attachment for a drill.

Post Thanks / Like

Another great product from Blackfire. I was very impressed with the new Blackfire Metal Polish.

BLACKFIRE Metal Polish 16 oz.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post

Nice review and nice work Mike. Came out pretty good by hand.
    And without much elbow grease.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post

I imagine you could really clean those up and put a shine on them with an attachment for a drill.

Hard to find a corded drill around here or a cordless drill around here that has much oomph.

Next time I see Chris Metcalf I'll let him know if I had a Cordless FLEX Drill I would showcase it whenever and wherever I can use some drill power.