autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Review: Speed Master Clay Towel and Clay Mitt

Review: Speed Master Clay Towel and Clay Mitt

Speed Master Clay Mitt and Clay Towel

What it is?
    A polymerized rubber interface with a pulverized abrasive powder embodied in the rubber surface.

What does it do?
    When rubbed over a smooth surface, the rubber surface abrades off above surface bonded contaminants to restore a smooth surface without removing paint.

When to use it?
    Anytime you feel your car's paint or other smooth surfaces and you feel bonded contaminants that shouldn't be there. Anytime your car's paint does not pass the baggie test. Use a clay towel before any hand or machine compounding, polishing or waxing steps.

Why to use it?
    To restore a smooth surface, which is the foundation for a glossy surface. Removing bonded contaminants ensure they are not removed during any compounding or polishing step where they could be ground into the paint causing marring. Using a clay towel or mitt also enable your choice of car wax, synthetic paint sealant or ceramic coating to bond better to the paint simply by removing any contaminants that hinder a proper bond to the paint surface.

Unique Benefits

Compared to car detailing clay, which is a polybutene plastic with a pulverized abrasive powder in it, if you drop the Speed Master Clay Towel or Clay Mitt onto the ground, you can wash it off and continue to use it. The reason why is because dirt and other abrasive particles cannot blend or embed into the polymerized rubber interface like they can with detailing clay. If you drop detailing clay, because it is malleable, dirt and abrasive particles and will embed into the clay and cannot be easily washed out or removed, thus you risk inflicting swirls and scratches into paintwork if used.

With traditional detailing clay, (polybutene plastic with a pulverized abrasive powder in it), as you use it, the contaminants you remove build-up IN the plastic clay and at some point the clay will become so contaminated you must throw it away. Detailing clay has a much more limited lifespan for usage. With the Speed Master Clay Towel or Clay Mitt, because removed contaminants do NOT embed into the polymerized rubber surface, you can get dramatically more use out of it. Simply wash the contaminants off the surface and continue to use.

While you can use detailing clay during the wash process, the normal method people use is after washing and rinsing the car, they dip their clay patty into their wash bucket to get some car wash soap onto it for lubrication. The problem with this is after washing a car, and repeatedly dipping your wash mitt back into your wash bucket, there will be dirt and abrasive particles IN the soapy wash solution and if any of these particles get onto your detailing clay you risk inflicting swirls and scratches into your car's paint. So can it be done? Yes. Is it safe? It's risky because the dirt particles can embed INTO the clay.

With a clay mitt or towel, there is a lot less chance of any scratching because dirt particles in your wash solution won't embed into the rubber surface. And if you really want to work clean, you can use a foam gun, a foam cannon or mix up some fresh wash solution.

Let's take a closer look....

The Speed Master Clay Towel and Clay Mitt have 2 different surfaces on each side.

This is the polymerized rubber surface that contains the pulverized abrasive powder, which is the secret to how the mitt and towel can remove contaminants that have formed a bond to your car's paint. The polymerized rubber can feel sticky, that's the characteristic of this type of surface but the stickiness of the rubber not pull contaminants off the paint, the pulverized abrasive powder IN the rubber safely abrades the contaminants off the paint.

The other side of the mitt is a flat weave microfiber surface that can be used to wash the car before using the polymerized rubber side to remove contaminants.

The tight, weave is beneficial is there's less likely a chance for dirt or other foreign contaminants to bury into the cloth and thus avoid scratching the paint when washing a car.

There is also a loop of material so after use and after rinsing the mitt you can hang it up to dry.

The Clay Towel is constructed the same way only it's larger than the mitt.

It too has a loop at one corner so after using it and then rinsing it off you can hang it to drip dry and air dry.

Mike's Pro Detailing Tip
    To get the most use out of the Speed Master Clay Towel, take a Sharpie Marker and draw 4 quadrants and in each quadrant write down the numbers, 1, 2, 3, 4.

When you use the towel, you DON'T lay the towel out flat and place your hand on it.

Don't do this...

Do this...

Fold the towel 4-ways and the grasp the folded towel with your thumb near an edge on one side and your four fingers on the other side.

Sometimes the little things are the big things...

Think about it - if you don't mark the back of the clay towel, you have no idea which quadrant or section you're using. By simply marking the back side, you can track and monitor which section of the towel you've used. At some point, these towels do wear out. Everything wears out including you and I. Marking the back enables you to know and monitor which side you've used up.

Step-by-Step Directions

Using the Speed Master Clay Towel or Clay Mitt after washing and rinsing your car

Step 1: First wash and THOROUGLY rinse your car to remove all loose dirt.

Step 2 - After fully rinsing the car, wet the clay mitt and/or clay towel in a fresh bucket of car wash soap solution.

Step 3: IF the towel or mitt is brand new, break it in by rubbing the polymer rubber surface over clean glass.

Use car wash soap solution or car wash foam to lubricate the glass. Rubbing the new mitt or towel ensures a smoother surface after manufacturing and handling.

For a brand new towel, you want to break-in the entire surface, so for this step you can leave the towel folded flat.

But when using the towel to decontaminate - fold 4-ways like you see in the picture below.

Step 4: Re-foam the car with a thick layer of soap suds to lubricate the surface or use the soapy car wash solution as your lubricant.

Use a back and forth movement when rubbing the towel or the mitt over the paint. Pay attention as you can normally FEEL the contaminants peel away as you rub. When you no longer feel any contaminants and the towel, or the mitt begins to glide effortlessly, this is a sign this section of paint is now clean and free from any bonded contaminants and you can move onto a new section of paint or rinse that area.

After rinsing the section you just de-contaminated, move onto a new section of the car and repeat.

Step 5: After decontaminating the entire car, give the car a final rinse and then dry using your favorite drying chamois.

2. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review: Speed Master Clay Towel and Clay Mitt

Continued....

Step-by-Step Directions

Using the Speed Master Clay Towel or Clay Mitt on a clean car with a clay lube

Note: If the clay towel or clay mitt is brand new - first break in the polymerized rubber surface by rubbing it over clean glass using clay lube.

Step 1: First wash and dry the car to remove all loose dirt.

Step 2: Spray an ample amount of clay lube onto a section of paint.

Step 3: Spray some clay lube directly onto the face of the clay mitt.

Step 3: Rub the clay mitt over the paint.

Normally if there are any bonded contaminants on the paint you can feel them where your skin touches the inside of the wash mitt. As you rub the paint and the contaminants come off, you will then feel the paint go smooth. This is a sign this area is now clean and free of contaminants.

After claying a section, wipe the excess clay lube off using a clean, microfiber towel and move to a new section of paint. Properly done, there's no need to re-wash the car.

How to use the Clay Towel with a clay lube

Note: If the towel is brand new, first break it in by rubbing the polymerized rubber surface over clean glass using clay lube.

Step 1: Fold the Clay Towel 4- ways and then hold the folded clay towel between your thumb and four fingers.

Step 2: Spray an ample amount of clay lube onto a section of paint.

Step 3: Spray some clay lube directly onto the face of the clay mitt.

Step 3: Rub the folded clay towel over the paint.

Normally if there are any bonded contaminants on the paint you can feel them where your fingers press against the back of the folded towel. As you rub the paint and the contaminants come off, you will then feel the paint go smooth. This is a sign this area is now clean and free of contaminants.

After claying a section, wipe the excess clay lube off using a clean, microfiber towel and move to a new section of paint. Properly done, there's no need to re-wash the car.

Cleaning, drying and storage

After decontaminating your car, rinse the towel or mitt with clean water. If you see a build-up of contaminants on the polymerized rubber surface, clean the surface by rubbing some simple liquid hand soap or a dedicated clay towel cleaner over the rubber surface and then rinse.

Drying
    Hang the clay towel or clay mitt from the loop and allow to air dry.

You can also place the mitt or towel over clean bottles and allow to air dry.

Storage
    After the towel or mitt has dried, place back into their shipping container to keep them clean and ready for the next use.

Review

These are really nice, high quality substitutes for traditional detailing clay.

Speed Master Clay Mitt
    I have large hands and my hand easily fits into the mitt. The mitt is easy to use and it's also really easy to feel the contaminants peel away as you rub the mitt over the surface. I think the mitt is the easiest option to use as it works just like washing your car and most people possess the skill to use it without issue.

Speed Master Clay Towel
    The towel provides a LOT of contaminant removing real-estate for your detailing dollars. Unlike the mitt however, you will want to fold it and then hold it and while this isn't hard to do, it takes a tick higher skill and attention to the task at hand to use than the mitt. One thing I like about the towel is that you can typically get into tighter areas (if you a detail maniac), than you can with the mitt.

Aggressive Level
    At the time I was given these two products to test there was no included information as to whether they were Fine Grade or a Medium Grade. The Mercedes-Benz that I washed and decontaminated was only lightly contaminated and whatever was on the surface was easily removed. After drying and then inspecting, I saw no signs of marring, which leads me to believe they are Fine Grade in their decontamination level. I'll try to find out and update this review.

My take...
    I like clay towels and clay mitts. I use them myself and teach how to use them in all my car and even boat detailing classes. I do have my own professional RULE that I abide by and that I also share in all my classes and that is,

If I'm going to do ANY type of mechanical decontamination, be with detailing clay, or a clay mitt or clay towel, I'm already planning on doing at least ONE machine polishing step. This will remove any marring, seen or unseen and also perfect the paint and prep it for either a car wax, a synthetic paint sealant or a ceramic paint coating.

This is my own rule, I share it with those that take my classes and let each person decide what they want to do after doing any type of mechanical decontamination.

On Autogeek.com

Speed Master Clay Mitt

Speed Master Clay Towel

4. Thanks Diner, JustJesus thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

More....

I've worked on cars with really bad contamination and sometimes this can build up ON the polymeriezed rubber surface. If this happens, here's one way to get the surface clean again.

Review: BLACKFIRE Synthetic Clay Mitt Cleaner

Mike Phillips

More...

Here's a video Yancy and I shot in the garage showing these products in action....

Mike Phillips

More....

To see how the Mercedes-Benz turned out, check out this article,

Why I call the FLEX 3401 the BEAST! by Mike Phillips

After

But a few hours before that after picture was taken...

8. Likes Diner liked this post
    Mike Phillips

And remember....

Gloss comes from a smooth surface.

If your car's paint has above surface bonded contaminants like,

• Overspray paint
    • Rail dust
    • Industrial fallout
    • Brake dust
    • Tree sap mist
    • Airborne pollution

Then washing won't remove these types of things and believe it or not, machine buffing with foam pads won't remove them either, at least not effectively.

The best way to remove above surface bonded contaminants is via a mechanical means like the Speed Master Clay Towel or the Speed Master Clay Mitt.

10. Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for another great review.

One of the biggest things i like about your reviews, is that I can then send someone a link to your articles/threads!!!

I do that when people ask me, "How do I do such and such?" - Now I have another helpful link I can provide.

THANKS MIKE

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post

Thanks for another great review.

One of the biggest things i like about your reviews, is that I can then send someone a link to your articles/threads!!!

I do that when people ask me, "How do I do such and such?" - Now I have another helpful link I can provide.

THANKS MIKE

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words.

I do my best to present helpful info and even extra info that is related.

13. Likes JustJesus, axel06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review. I picked this one over the blackfire mitt because it seemed to be a little larger. My old nanoskin mitt seems to have lost its bite after about 50 uses.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by camaro2ssblack View Post

Thanks for the review.

I picked this one over the blackfire mitt because it seemed to be a little larger.
    I haven't measured but I think you're right, it's larger than the BF Clay Mitt. My hand doesn't fit into the BF Clay Mitt either, at least not easily or comfortably.,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast