autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griot's Garage G9 Random Orbital Polisher - What's in the Box?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Ding dang - forgot to mention what the 9 means in the G9

9mm Orbit Stroke

The Griot’s Garage 6” Random Orbital Polisher is 8mm orbit stroke length.

Most tools like the Griot’s Garage 6” Random Orbital Polisher are 8mm. So this is a new change feature about this tool that separates it from all the 8mm tools.

Still considered a short stroke polisher.

Yup. 1 millimeter is a very negligible improvement in stroke, but the moniker of G9 is a great marketing tool.

Very smart marketing. And the added power just makes the whole package a steal at $150.

I really hope any lurkers/hopefulls to machine polishing will jump on this deal.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griot's Garage G9 - 9mm Orbit Stroke Random Orbital Polisher - What's in the Box?

The lifetime warranty is the steal never had an issue with any product from those folks. If it really is 150 it’s a steal. I have gg6, makita rotary newest version and then a shurhold 21mm because it’s more powerful than rupes so when I do 1 steps I do a ton of pressure trying to get around the vehicle quickly it’s also 1/3 the price. It’s a boating company....felt like I had to explain.

I would put the Griots build quality right there with makita/dewalt and above the shurhold. The lifetime warranty is a buying point for me in that the seller has confidence in the build quality and design......where ever it’s made../ even if it’s outside of USA.

3. Likes VISITOR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griot's Garage G9 - 9mm Orbit Stroke Random Orbital Polisher - What's in the Box?

it has the body of a rotary/long throw polisher but in small compact size (judging how small the box is that it comes in). being light it shouldn't cause fatigue after long hours of use in addition with the excellent ergonomics (being smooth which i'm sure it is too) as well. very nice...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Baldone View Post

Thank you for the details Mike. Let me ask a dumb question... M

ost tool manufacturers know that for 15mm and smaller throw machines, we prefer the 5'' pads. The Boss 15 comes with a 5'' backing plate, but yet this one does not???? T

he Flex XFE 15 I just got only came with the 6'' backing plate also. C

an we get manufacturers to just include both backing plates and charge accordingly?

It seem like a no brainer to me
    Makes sense to me. And in my very popular article I link to down below, I've been recommending to people that purchase the GG6 to go ahead and get a 5" backing plate and start INVESTING in 5.5" pads instead of NOT getting the 5" backing plate forcing the new machine user to use the larger 6.5" pads. It's real easy to invest a lot of money not just into a tool but also pads to go with the tool. As you know, in almost all of my write-ups, I show how many pads I use to do the job correctly and that's because anyone new to machine polishing simply don't know it takes more than one or two pads to effectively compound a full size car.

So back to backing plate size, if a newbie gets the GG6 and because it comes with a 6" backing plate, they start investing in large pads to fit the backing plate only down the road to read how all of the rest of us installed a 5" backing plate so we can turn and churn 5.5" pads, they feel remorse.

But to be fair, unlike the Porter Cable, a tool that struggles to maintain pad rotating with large, thick foam pads, the Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital Polisher has no problem spinning these same pads. And this is also true for the new G9. I tested some very THICK pads on it and it has no problem maintaining pad rotation.

For anyone reading this into the future that is NOT aware of the 5" pad versus 6" pad issue, it stems from most 8mm free spinning polishers NOT being able to maintain pad rotation (historically), because until recently, most of the pads on the market were not only large diameter but also THICK. Thick foam pads, and especially thick foam pads that become WET with product, don't and won't rotate on these types of tools.

No pad rotation = no work being done

Thin pads are in context, a new option. I coined the term, thin is in back in 2010 when I wrote this article,

Thin is in...

Before 2010, pretty much all foam pads were about 1 1/4" thick or thicker. And thick foam pads don't rotate well on free spinning random orbital polishers.

Then in 2016, Lake Country, Meguiar's and Griot's all had THIN pads options and I documented this with this article,

5.5" SUPER THIN FOAM PAD OPTIONS for your Dual Action Polisher

The OTHER REASON smaller diameter pads are better and more popular with the detailing world is because unlike cars with large FLAT body panels from the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, and even the 1980s, modern cars have a lot of THIN body panel designs. By this I mean on the hood, fender, trunk lid, doors of cars, you'll have edges and raised bodylines outlining a "shape" to the panel. Because it's a "Best Practice" to NOT buff on edges or raised body lines, smaller pads fit modern cars better than larger pads.

Once you read the above and then buff out a couple hundred cars, it will all make sense.

As to why Griot's decided to stick with a 6" backing plate, like they sold with the Griot's 6" Random Orbital Polisher is a Griot's decision. Me? My natural inclination knowing what I know and how I buff out cars I would have leaned towards a 5" backing plate. But, I was not part of their design team. I'm sure they have great reasons for going the direction they did. One simple reason is this,

For people NEW to machine buffing, a larger buffing pad, and even a thicker buffing pad is SAFER. Period. As a newbie gets experience, hones their skills and reads a forum like this or takes a class like I teach, they can always do like my wife does when she buys a new dress. They can accessorize. That is they can purchase a smaller backing plate and smaller pads. Then they can choose and use the backing plate and pad size to match the "thing" they are buffing out. For example, I would opt for the 6" backing plate and larger pads if I were buffing out things like RVs or boats. Or Detroit Iron with large panels like I did here,

Review: Griot's G9 - 9mm Orbit Stroke Random Orbital Polisher by Mike Phillips

In the really BIG PICTURE - everything works out the way it's supposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post

thanks for sharing mike. any chance of a short clip of it through all the speed settings?
    I'm using a new product today on an old 2-door Chevy and using it with the new G9, so "yes" I'll take the video. I have to post it to my Facebook page as I cannot post video like this to the Autogeek YouTube Channel and I cannot have my own YouTube channel.

Quote Originally Posted by luckydawg View Post

Very through
    Nice job
    Thanks bud, not only is it a really nice tool, I love working on COOL cars. I'm not a huge fan of buffing out modern cars, most are not what I would call cool. So it's hard to get excited about the "work".

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post

Awesome tool.

Excellent write up as always, Mike.

Thanks Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by luckydawg View Post

Are they considered long stroke once they are in the double digits ( 10mm & up ) ?

If not , @ what mm throw does the term long start?

Thanks

I know 12mm is considered LONG stroke, I'm not sure 10mm and 11mm are?

I'm not really sure who the expert is to decide where the line is drawn or if there's a mathematical equation for determining short stroke from long stroke. I know there are "opinions".

I think I have one resources I can look at and see what it says. I have two new product reviews to do today, that means

1. Use the products
    2. Take the pictures
    3. Process the pictures
    4. Write the reviews

And I'm taking off for Ohio tomorrow, so time is short today.

Yup. 1 millimeter is a very negligible improvement in stroke, but the moniker of G9 is a great marketing tool.

Very smart marketing. And the added power just makes the whole package a steal at $150.
    I agree. I'd call that Griot's teamwork and excellent execution of a plan that started years ago.

I really hope any lurkers/hopefulls to machine polishing will jump on this deal.

I agree and with the introduction of this new tool I'll have to write a new version of this article,

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mgavin1985 View Post

I would put the Griots build quality right there with makita/dewalt and above the shurhold.
    I agree. Also to note, Griot's is using a completely different partner to manufacture these new tools and backing plates than the company used for the BOSS tools and the GG6. The company was sourced with the full intent to bring out a super high quality tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Mgavin1985 View Post

The lifetime warranty is a buying point for me in that the seller has confidence in the build quality and design......where ever it’s made../ even if it’s outside of USA.
    I agree. That's simply great marketing and top notch customer service and it's based on "their" confidence in their tool.

it has the body of a rotary/long throw polisher but in small compact size (judging how small the box is that it comes in). being light it shouldn't cause fatigue after long hours of use in addition with the excellent ergonomics (being smooth which i'm sure it is too) as well. very nice...
    Lots of power in a lightweight, compact size tool.

Win/Win

Thanks for all the comments and questions everyone!

6. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have owned my PC 7335 for many years now and I am considered a weekend warrior where I do my own vehicles and an occasional friend. Would it be a good move to add or step up to the G9? Will it improve my work and shorten the work time?

Mike Phillips

Re: Griot's Garage G9 Random Orbital Polisher - What's in the Box?

thanks for sharing mike. any chance of a short clip of it through all the speed settings?

Sorry, couldn't get to it today. Had to detail a car and write 3 new reviews.

Wont' be back in the office until next week on Tuesday as I'm leaving tomorrow at O'Dark Thirty in the morning for my Ohio class.

Roadshow Detailing Class in Powell, Ohio - September 14th & 15th

Mike Phillips

My good buddy Aaryn from New Zealand asked for this picture in my review thread, see post #9

Size comparison shot

The above are all the current electric tools Griot's offers. The new G9 is the 4th tool over from the left.

10. Thanks Diner, JustJesus thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, Thomkirby, Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome job, Mike!!! Thank you for show casing this in such a detailer manner!!!!!!!

So many awesome features. I personally love the cord. That is a fantastic concept and I wish more manufactures did it!!
    Jim

12. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    My good buddy Aaryn from New Zealand asked for this picture in my review thread, see post #9

Size comparison shot

The above are all the current electric tools Griot's offers. The new G9 is the 4th tool over from the left.

Awesome Mike, thank you.

Oh yeah, that is “stalky/stubby” ... I like it, bet it feels great in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    I personally love the cord. That is a fantastic concept and I wish more manufactures did it!!
    Yeah 100% Dr Oldz. Imagine doing a job that requires multiple tools set up & instead of running cords for all ....having this feature!!! C’mon, y’all know it would rock. It’s genius.

... And the price!!! What’s with the price!?

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

14. Likes mc2hill liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ

I like it, bet it feels great in hand.
    I used it on speed 2 setting to machine wax an old 2-door Chevy yesterday.

No problemo...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast