autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Griot's G9 - 9mm Orbit Stroke Random Orbital Polisher by Mike Phillips

I started off with a GG6. Got the G9 when it first came out. I played around with 5.5" & 6.5" BOSS pads and the standard thickness Griot's pads when I was doing my wife's Q5. I was impressed with how well the G9 kept even the "thick" 6.5" pads turning. I don't think you'll be let down sticking with the 6/6.5" pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Griot's G9 - 9mm Orbit Stroke Random Orbital Polisher by Mike Phillips

Thanks.... I will give feedback as soon as i do the other 2 cars.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post

I don't think you'll be let down sticking with the 6/6.5" pads.
    I agree, the new G9 has plenty of power, I prett sure I pointed this out in my review.

The only reason I use and steer other people to use smaller diameter pads than the normal 6.5" pads is not due to pad rotation, (with this specific tool), it's because smaller pads fit body panel designs better.

I've been meaning to take some pictures to show what I mean but the nutshell version is - it's a good practice to NOT buff on edges or raised body lines, accepting this as good protocol, then smaller pad fit smaller body panel designs better than larger pads.

4. Thanks RamAirV1 thanked for this post
    Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If I only use is around once per year (or should I say one car per year as one full paint correction could be splitted into several weekends doing different sections of the car each day) as hobby for paint correction for personal cars, should I upgrade for the regular Griot 6" Random Polisher to this?

I think the upgrade would be around $50-$70 if I sell my current one to buy the G9.

Is it worth it or should I just keep my GG6 (third gen) if I'm not a professional detailer that uses it every week

Post Thanks / Like

Considering how little you use your machine its really not necessary unless you are after a newer tool with more power. The GG6 has enough power and will serve you well.

Another option is to convert your GG6 to run 3" pads for smaller areas and pick up the GG9 with 5.5" pads for the larger areas.

7. Likes PaulMys, vwite, RamAirV1 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    Considering how little you use your machine its really not necessary unless you are after a newer tool with more power. The GG6 has enough power and will serve you well.

Another option is to convert your GG6 to run 3" pads for smaller areas and pick up the GG9 with 5.5" pads for the larger areas.
    Thanks for the reply. My current tool seems to work pretty well, it's very ergonomic I have no complains at all in that area, has the nice 25 ft cord and I can very easily and quickly switch to the 3" backplate/pads when detailing small sections. Seems that the only reason to upgrade would be if the extra power would give me HUGE time savings like fully compound a car in 5 hours instead of 10 hours, but if it's only like 9 hours instead of 10 (or like 10% less time), I might just keep my current one a few more years.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used (and LOVED) my GG6 for a few years now.

I was just gifted a G9 from a great friend here on AGO, and it will be tested early tomorrow morning.

I will post back in this thread after I have used it for a real world comparison.

For tonight, I will just "guesstimate" that while the G9 is an improvement, I am not convinced it is double the machine the GG6 is.

Test tomorrow..........
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

10. Likes vwite, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post

I was just gifted a G9 from a great friend here on AGO, and it will be tested early tomorrow morning.

I will post back in this thread after I have used it for a real world comparison.

For tonight, I will just "guesstimate" that while the G9 is an improvement, I am not convinced it is double the machine the GG6 is.

Test tomorrow..........
    looking forward to your update!

12. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post

Test tomorrow..........
    Interested to hear what you think. I made the same switch and went from a GG6 to the G9 (both with 5" backing plate). Going to the G9 made me realize I had some bad habits that needed to stop.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vwite View Post
    Thanks for the reply. My current tool seems to work pretty well, it's very ergonomic I have no complains at all in that area, has the nice 25 ft cord and I can very easily and quickly switch to the 3" backplate/pads when detailing small sections. Seems that the only reason to upgrade would be if the extra power would give me HUGE time savings like fully compound a car in 5 hours instead of 10 hours, but if it's only like 9 hours instead of 10 (or like 10% less time), I might just keep my current one a few more years.
    IMO, you wont gain that much time. You'll get down to the 8 hour mark but I think what you will find is that you will save the most time by having a second machine set up with a 3" plate and pads ready to pick up and get to business on the smaller areas rather than switching between plates on one tool.

Even in your scenario of just using a few times a year it would be beneficial to have 2 machines ready to put to work. You will save the most time going this route IMO.

15. Thanks vwite thanked for this post
    Likes dwaleke, vwite liked this post
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast