autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Griot's G9 - 9mm Orbit Stroke Random Orbital Polisher by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Abbondanzio View Post
    Interested to hear what you think. I made the same switch and went from a GG6 to the G9 (both with 5" backing plate). Going to the G9 made me realize I had some bad habits that needed to stop.
    Any examples of the bad habits?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Griot's G9 - 9mm Orbit Stroke Random Orbital Polisher by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by vwite View Post
    Any examples of the bad habits?
    I was stalling out the G9 a ton when I first started using it due to buffing on edges, and not always having the pad properly parallel with the panel.

Most of the stalling was due to using thinner pads with the G9 but it was still a good learning lesson that my technique was sloppy. I only really do production buffs that I don't market as paint correction.

3. Thanks vwite, RamAirV1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

After using my G9 today, I am super impressed with it.

Balance is great, power is plentiful, and I love the tool rest on the back of the head and the trigger/trigger lock features. Also, I find it to run very smoothly. I keep reading how the Rupes is the smoothest-running machine out there, and if that is true, kudos to them. But I thought the G9 was a pleasure to use.

I churned LC Flat pads, but popped on 2 Thin-Pros toward the end. No real noticeable difference between the two except maybe that the Flats are a little easier to make "dance" in some concave body accents.

My opinion: The G9 is a nice machine. Griot's did a great job on this.

For anyone considering a first polisher, this would be a great choice.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m hoping to pick one up soon. I’m sure it’s a great machine, can anyone comment on longevity? For example using often as correcting paint and last?
    My goal in life is to love God, family and myself. To love others and treat others right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrustJesus View Post
    I’m hoping to pick one up soon. I’m sure it’s a great machine, can anyone comment on longevity? For example using often as correcting paint and last?
    Since it’s only about 8 months old it’s hard to say how long they last. But you can bet it’s good quality and if it dies, Griot’s lifetime warranty comes to the rescue and they replace it.
    Bruno Soares

7. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bsoares

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    My goal in life is to love God, family and myself. To love others and treat others right.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Purchased mine this month. I polished my Jeep with it, looks great thanks to the M100 and M205 compound. I started polishing my 1970 Monte Carlo with it. Made it halfway thru, and it died. It spins, then shuts off. Spin then shuts off. Wont stay running more than a few seconds. Was hoping it would last more than one car's worth of buffing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MSLUCY View Post
    Purchased mine this month. I polished my Jeep with it, looks great thanks to the M100 and M205 compound. I started polishing my 1970 Monte Carlo with it. Made it halfway thru, and it died. It spins, then shuts off. Spin then shuts off. Wont stay running more than a few seconds. Was hoping it would last more than one car's worth of buffing.
    Contact Griot’s, they’ll take care of you.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Review: Griot's G9 - 9mm Orbit Stroke Random Orbital Polisher by Mike Phillips

Santa Claus brought me a Griots G9 last year and it is a great machine. It is powerful, well balanced, comfortable and it has never stalled on me. The perforated backing plate allows the pad to run much cooler. Little features make a big difference too such as the detachable power cord and rest pads so that the tool can lay flat on a workbench. The speed control dial can be accessed from both sides of the handle but the one issue for me as a lefty was the trigger lock button. It is located on the left side of the handle only, accessed easily with your right hand. I emailed Griots and asked them to consider placing an additional trigger lock button on the right. They did answer me and said they would consider it.
    I believe in treating everybody with respect, and clean cars. That’s what I believe in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    The speed control dial can be accessed from both sides of the handle but the one issue for me as a lefty was the trigger lock button. It is located on the left side of the handle only, accessed easily with your right hand. I emailed Griots and asked them to consider placing an additional trigger lock button on the right. They did answer me and said they would consider it.
    Even as a righty I found the placement of the trigger lock to be a little awkward when using it on vertical panels. I'd have to position the machine and rotate it so that I could reach the trigger lock, then reposition it to start the section pass.

13. Likes UncleDavy liked this post
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast