autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

Review: EGO 3000 Watt Portable Power Station

Review: EGO 3000 Watt Portable Power Station

Disclaimer: Chervon Power Tools provided this unit to me free of charge. I have no vested interest in the sales of this tool. This review is solely to share an alternative power option for detailers working where no power outlet is available or for power outage emergencies. FLEX Power Tools is owned by the same company that owns Chervon Power Tools. Autogeek does sell FLEX Power Tools but does not sell Chervon Power Tools. I would point out that when you purchase any FLEX CORDLESS power tools, the battery technology used for FLEX tools is engineered and manufactured in-house. I point this out to document that FLEX battery technology is proprietary to FLEX and it's owners, not outsourced. You can have confidence when purchasing FLEX CORDLESS tools they use best-in-class rechargeable battery technology. I know this is important to many of you when making substantial tool investments with Autogeek.

Also - at this time Autogeek does not sell the EGO 3000 Watt Power Station. This review is for educational purposes and of course, as a gesture of appreciation to FLEX and Chervon.

Hurricane Emergency
    With the above all said, I would also like to document that as I type this we are a day or two out from having a Category 5 Hurricane make a direct hit to the Stuart, Florida coastline. I have this unit charged up and ready to use in case power goes out here at our house but it's also my hope that we don't have to use it.

EGO 3000 Watt Portable Power Station

Recently at one of our Roadshow Car Detailing Classes, Chris Metcalf brought a EGO 3000 Watt Portable Power Station to share with the class. I took some pictures of the power station in use at this class here,

Pictures: Autogeek’s Roadshow Class with PRAXIS Detailing in Auburn, Indiana

After the class, Amber Franklin, from Chervon was so kind as to send me one of these power stations for my personal use. Below I took some pictures to show you what comes in the box and how to set it up and charge the batteries for home emergencies or for powering your power tools when normal electric power is not available.

Because we have our storm shutters installed as we prep for Hurricane Dorian, which as I type is at Category 5 and hitting the Bahamas. If you look at the window in the back of our kitchen, you can see the window is dark but it was the middle of the day when I took these pictures. For this reason I used the flash on my camera for all of the below pictures.

Storm Shutters on windows in prep for Hurricane Dorian

What's in the box?

The unit comes with everything you need neatly packaged into the box.

The power cord to charge the batteries is contained in a box that is attached to the top of the unit.

Pressing this button releases the lid.

The unit comes with 2 rechargeable batteries and can hold up to 4 batteries. Extra batteries can be purchased separately.

The power cord uses a proprietary charging box that uses a microchip processor to monitor and control electric input from any 110v outlet.

The other side of the controller has a separate cord that to any 110v outlet

The batteries slip onto the unit and lock into place.

After installing the batteries I plugged the unit in.

Next I attached the waterproof, wind and dust shields.

The attachment screws are included in the box. They are in a tiny bag so look around and don't lose them.

This shot was taken after installing the guards and having plugged the unit it. It shows it will take 5 hours and 20 minutes to fully charge the 2 batteries.

The electric outputs are covered with shields to keep them clean and dry. Press the button below the shields to open them.

Charging.

The EGO Power Station connects to the Internet via WIFI and also comes with an App to allow you to monitor the status of the batteries and/or charging time.

5 hours later the Power Station is fully charged.

Power Display shows there is 88 hours of charge time available.

More info as I use the Power Station. As I typed this up it's shortly after 1:00pm Sunday, September 1st, 2019. The Weather Channel states (as of typing this right now), the hurricane is projected to arrive to the Florida coast on Tuesday morning.

Fingers are crossed we don't get a direct hit and if we do we don't lose power. I love having this just in case but really don't want to use it. Kind of like my car insurance analogy for my article,

The Car Insurance Analogy for using an Iron Remover by Mike Phillips

To all our friends along the East Coast, be prepared and stay safe.

2. Thanks Diner, Jim w thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM, bill walsh, Thomkirby liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review: EGO 3000 Watt Portable Power Station

More...

I took this picture off the TV with the Weather Channel on. In this picture you can see where Stuart, Florida is located.

Autogeek and Autogeek employees are in Stuart and surrounding cities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I hope Dorian miss the mainland and stays at the sea or at least gets weaker if it's reaching you. Stay safe!

What a cool portable power station. And to be able to have inside of the house when the electric power is down is a benefit vs a generator with extension cords. Also that it can handle that much of power as 3000W is great.

Say you are a mobile detailer and have the Flex cordless polisher the rotary or the longthrow or the soon to be shipped to the customers direct driven DA. If you put in the battery charger for these polishers. And on the setup with 2 batteries on the EGO 3000 you got.
    How many times would you be able to charge a drained polisher battery to be fully charged?

Don't know if you can calculate it out how many times it's possible to do? If you take amp of the power stations batteries and the amps of the polisher battery and maybe something else that needs to be in the calculation. Or if you are able to charge the polisher batteries on the EGO 3000 next time you polishing with the CBeast. And see how many charges you can do and if it's enough to be charging the batteries on it but I think that would be enough to do so.

It could be a huge benefit for the mobile detailer or they that don't have an electric outlet near them to charge the polisher batteries on the EGO 3000. And enough charges from the EGO 3000 either with the 2 batteries that follows with it or if 1 or 2 extra is needed for a work day of polishing. Would be very interesting to see if this portable power station could be a value for the detailers with cordless Flex polishers. And to be able to be a little more environment friendly both without the need of a gas generator and the noice level it has.

Also how long would you be able to polishing with a corded Flex VRG3401 for an example on the EGO 3000.

/ Tony

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post

How many times would you be able to charge a drained polisher battery to be fully charged?

Don't know if you can calculate it out how many times it's possible to do? If you take amp of the power stations batteries and the amps of the polisher battery and maybe something else that needs to be in the calculation. Or if you are able to charge the polisher batteries on the EGO 3000 next time you polishing with the CBeast. And see how many charges you can do and if it's enough to be charging the batteries on it but I think that would be enough to do so.

It could be a huge benefit for the mobile detailer or they that don't have an electric outlet near them to charge the polisher batteries on the EGO 3000. And enough charges from the EGO 3000 either with the 2 batteries that follows with it or if 1 or 2 extra is needed for a work day of polishing. Would be very interesting to see if this portable power station could be a value for the detailers with cordless Flex polishers. And to be able to be a little more environment friendly both without the need of a gas generator and the noice level it has.

Also how long would you be able to polishing with a corded Flex VRG3401 for an example on the EGO 3000.

/ Tony

Good questions Tony, at this time I don't easily have the answers.

Working on it on my list of things to do.

6. Thanks SWETM thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That is a very neat unit. I have eyeballed it before. I like the fact that it gives energy from an alternative power source that fuel and its quiet in doing so. I have a few EGO lawn products that I really enjoy and will never go back to gas powered equipment.

As mentioned above, id be interested to see/hear how long that unit could supply power to a detailer as he/she buffs on a vehicle. I'd imagine more than enough power to run an AIO session no matter what tool(s) are plugged in.