autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Live Product Testing - Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash

Live Product Testing - Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash

At a recent Roadshow Car Detailing Class, this one,

Pictures: Autogeek’s Roadshow Class with PRAXIS Detailing in Auburn, Indiana

We detailed 10 cars. This includes showing multiple ways to wash a car.

We had a severely neglected daily driver that shows ZERO signs regular washing and certainly no regular waxing let along running a clay bar over the paint to remove built-up contamination. I planned to use this car to showcase the BLACKFIRE One Step as a part of teaching Production Detailing.

Before we could buff on the car though she needed to be washed. Normally the car would be washed using a foam gun and then rinsed, and the foamed again and then the class would mechanically decontaminate the paint using clay mitts to get it clean and smooth during the wash process.

Sharing new products
    One of the cool things about our classes is getting to share new products. Such is the case for the new Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash. I already had felt the paint and it felt like rough concrete. It was dull and had no shine, so I KNEW it would not bead water. And after rinsing the car off I was right. The water just laid on the hood in a continues uniform layer.

Instead of washing the car with a normal cleaning car wash I chose to use the new Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash to show the class how cool this product is. By just wasing the car with this car wash the product is going to impart nano size particles of SiO2 or Silicon Dioxide. This substance will bond to the paint, plastic and glass and create a hydrophobic surface. The benefit to a hydrophobic surface is that it will repel water and thus have a self-cleaning effect. This will make future washing and drying faster.

Of course, this new car wash is ideally used on a car that IS maintained. This means paint that IS clean and smooth and thus it will work it's best. But I like a challenge so we washed this neglected car using this new hi-tech car wash.

Here's the car...

2008 Dodge Avenger

Putting a product to the test

This car has just be sprayed down with water. The SHINE you see on the hood is water. The water is NOT beading up but laying COMPLETLY FLAT.

Here's your truly pointing at the new car wash...

Pouring some into a bucket of clean water.

Thoroughly mixing the car wash with the water using my mixing stick that I take with me wherever I go.

Now I'm only going to wash one half of the hood....

Here's Mike Liebing, our host rinsing the hood...

BOOM!
    You can easily see wherever the car wash touched the paint the paint is now beading water as though it has been coated.

Driver's side = Phenomenal water beading in context

There was ZERO water beading before we washed this side of the hood

Passenger side - The only water beading is the places the Wolfgang SiO2 Car Wash touched.

Nice product. It's expensive. I'd recommend buying the gallon next time it's on sale and then mix 2 capfuls to 2-3 gallons of water and CAREFULLY HAND WASH your car.

Here's my original review for this new car wash

Review: Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash

Here's a second review I did....

KILLER CAR WASH - Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash

On Autogeek.com

Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash - 16 ounces

Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash - 1 gallon

2. Likes Diner, SWETM liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Live Product Testing - Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash

Just to note, (because I was just asked this question in another thread), this is NOT a good wash for foam guns or foam cannons because it does not create mountains of suds.

I shared this little tidbit in my original review,

Review: Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash

You'll find bullet list item #2 under the word REVIEW on the above article.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

2: Not a lot of suds.

I'm not a chemist but I think that the ingredients that make the car wash slippery also reduce surface tension, which is what holds a soap bubble together instead of simply popping. So while we all like to see mountains of foamy suds in our car wash I'm pre-warning you you're not going to see that with this car wash soap but you are going to feel the slick, slippery feeling when dunking a wash mitt into your bucket of soapy water and then gliding your wash mitt over the surface of a body panel.

Always typing for the future - a learned typing skill.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

I wanted to thank you for recommending this product, it is outstanding!

I’ve used it twice over the last three weeks now and I’m blown away!

Just as you said, not a lot of suds but the lubricity of it is off the charts, it lays very flat when washing the car but when rinsing the car it sheets like a maniac and leaves the paint very slick feeling when dried.

The added bonus is the self cleaning ability and it seems to NOT attract dust like other products especially with a topper. On the second wash I purposely didn’t use any drying aid just to see if it was a fluke or not...car had a lot less dust on it compared to other washes including Wolfgang Uber RW.

Again, thank you for the great recommendation!

Jay

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Jayfro View Post

Mike,

I wanted to thank you for recommending this product, it is outstanding!

I’ve used it twice over the last three weeks now and I’m blown away!

Just as you said, not a lot of suds but the lubricity of it is off the charts, it lays very flat when washing the car but when rinsing the car it sheets like a maniac and leaves the paint very slick feeling when dried.

The added bonus is the self cleaning ability and it seems to NOT attract dust like other products especially with a topper. On the second wash I purposely didn’t use any drying aid just to see if it was a fluke or not...car had a lot less dust on it compared to other washes including Wolfgang Uber RW.

Again, thank you for the great recommendation!

Jay

Thank you Jay for sharing the above.

It's one thing when I share info - some people are cynical and figure I'm just a paid hack trying to sell products. It's another thing when someone else backs me up.

It is a really nice product and performs exactly as advertised.

Too bad it's so expensive! That's why anyone in the know will wait for one of the 25%, or 30% or even better, the 50% off sales and then buy the gallon size jug.