autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Must Have Microfiber! At least my opinion :)

Someone "liked" this thread and I received a notice so I thought I would bump it for any members or lurkers confused over all the choices when it comes to microfiber tools and also wheel cleaning brushes.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the bump! I just got my Speed Master Brush a few weeks ago....makes cleaning the wheels and barrels much easier and much better on the knuckles, love it!! Next up is the 3 piece set sometime next month.

Jay

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Jayfro View Post
    Thank you for the bump! I just got my Speed Master Brush a few weeks ago....makes cleaning the wheels and barrels much easier and much better on the knuckles, love it!! Next up is the 3 piece set sometime next month.

Jay

I use all the tools I shared in this thread on my own cars and I show them in all my car detailing classes.

I try to lead by example.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought some Griots Garage PFM Wax Removal Towels to remove the Meguiars Ultimate Wax I put on my car and hated them They were so grabby it was wayyy to hard to take any wax off with them, even after making sure the wax was dry for a long while. I ended up using my cheap medium fluffy Simoniz microfibers and the wax came right off with them surprisingly. I'll have to buy some different ones and try them out to see what works best/better as I didn't like having to use these cheap ones to do it was I'm sure they aren't the softest on the paint even though they are new...
    ·Ï¢årµ§·

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mike. How about a Mike Phillips microfiber package? I'm a little surprised Autogeek does not offer a complete package.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Baldone View Post
    Hey Mike. How about a Mike Phillips microfiber package? I'm a little surprised Autogeek does not offer a complete package.
    Actually, they have quite a few kits. Check the AG store...

A Mike P's favorite kit would be cool though.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

I see that they do, but not exactly a Mike P kit. I kind of like the Obsessed Garage kits that Matt puts together. That is what I would like to see from Mike. A sort of Enthusiast Kit, Mobile detailer kit, New shop starting out kit. I think that would make it easier for us as customers, plus be a great marketing tool for AG.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
    I bought some Griots Garage PFM Wax Removal Towels to remove the Meguiars Ultimate Wax I put on my car and hated them They were so grabby it was wayyy to hard to take any wax off with them, even after making sure the wax was dry for a long while.
    Perhaps you used the wrong side of the towel for the wax removal step ? These towels are dual-sided, one side is for removing the wax, the other side is for buffing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 57Rambler View Post
    Perhaps you used the wrong side of the towel for the wax removal step ? These towels are dual-sided, one side is for removing the wax, the other side is for buffing.
    I tried both sides and three of them on one panel for a while before giving up.
    ·Ï¢årµ§·

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
    I bought some Griots Garage PFM Wax Removal Towels to remove the Meguiars Ultimate Wax I put on my car and hated them They were so grabby it was wayyy to hard to take any wax off with them, even after making sure the wax was dry for a long while. I ended up using my cheap medium fluffy Simoniz microfibers and the wax came right off with them surprisingly. I'll have to buy some different ones and try them out to see what works best/better as I didn't like having to use these cheap ones to do it was I'm sure they aren't the softest on the paint even though they are new...

just to note - I payed my recommendation for the Griots PFM Wax Removal Towels Uber the section for towels I recommend for removing COMPOUNDS.

From the first page....

Towels for Removing Compounds

When it comes to wiping compound residue off paint it tends to be a little bulkier than polish residue. What helps to make wiping off a compound, especially if it's hot or the compound is sticky, is a robust microfiber towel that looks and feels more like terrycloth than like microfiber. This difference is called,

Stout

These types of microfiber towels are not soft and limp but more stout or course. They are still GENTLE to paint surfaces because they use microscopic fibers as compared to cotton fibers used to make terrycloth, (like a bath towel), so they keep you from working backwards when wiping off compound.

Working backwards in this context means putting scratches in wiping off the compound when you just removed them by working the compound over the paint.

And - because in most cases if you are compounding paint, the normal secondary step would be to POLISH paint. So if a more stout towel were to induce fine marring that's okay, the polishing step will remove this marring.

The BIG PICTURE is for you to remove the compound residue fast and without tiring yourself. Most of us compound a car are compounding the ENITRE CAR. That's a lot of wiping. Then when you move on to polishing you move up to a higher quality and softer towel. This what I call working forward in the process. You think this is good stuff to know - try taking ANY of my classes. I do a literal BRAIN DUMP with all this type of info and more. There's really no one else out there that either knows this deep stuff or verbalizes it in a class let alone TYPE out the words for the world to read. Who else writes substantial how-to articles?

The two towels I show below also have a nap or a LOOP of FIBER. This LOOP OF FIBER when pushed into and over a film of compound residue SLICES into the film and this helps to break it open, break it up and thus make removing it easier on you and the paint. It's hard to find microfiber towels like these because most towel manufactures focus on SOFT not STOUT. Also in my experience in this industry, no one has ever explained the above via the written word or in a video. I know this stuff because I do this stuff and I've been doing it for a long time.

Griots Garage PFM Wax Removal Towel
    Like the above towel from the Rag Company, this towel is stout. It also has a nap or loop of fiber. What makes it different and unique is it is 9" by 9" - this makes it a 2-sided towel. You don't fold it, you use one side and then the other side. This also means less cushion to spread out the pressure from your palm and fingers but for wiping off compounds that's okay for the deep reasons I shared above.

Griots Garage PFM Wax Removal Towel - Set of 4

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast