autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Review: BLACKFIRE Fabric Protectant

Review: BLACKFIRE Fabric Protectant

BLACKFIRE Fabric Protectant

BLACKFIRE Fabric Protectant creates an Ultra-Hydrophobic layer of protection

What it is?

BLACKFIRE Fabric Protectant is a spray-on fabric, cloth and upholstery protectant. It creates an ultra-hydrophobic layer of protection to waterproof the surface while also providing UV protection.

What it does?

Seals the surface of fabrics, cloth and upholstery. Helps prevent spills and/or liquids from penetrating into the material. Helps keep various liquids and contaminants ON the surface until you can remove by blotting off using a clean towel.

When to use it?

In a perfect world you would apply this to a brand new car or to any upholstery or fabric surface when the item is new and therefor clean. You can also use it on older clean fabrics and upholstery or after first cleaning any fabrics and upholstery and allowing adequate time for the cleaned surface to fully dry.

Why to use it?

To protect fabric, cloth and upholstery from becoming wet and/or stained. To preserve the factory appearance.

Special Instructions

• Use only on clean, dry fabric surfaces, until evenly coated, and let air dry.
    • Do not oversaturate fabric surface.
    • Let cure for 12-24 hours, depending on temperature.
    • Treated fabric must be completely cured before exposing to rain and moisture.

My comments...

BLACKFIRE Fabric Protectant is a great way to pro-actively protect any fabric, cloth or upholstery before an accident. I can't count how many times I've seen someone spill coffee or coke or some other liquid on the seat or carpet in a car and before you have time to find a clean towel and wipe off the spill - it's too late. The liquid will have already penetrated INTO the material. Now the only way to completely remove the spill is to remove the item and hose it off, which is impossible for some things like seats. Or use an extractor to lift the offending liquid out of the material.

If you spill anything with sugar in it, for example a fancy coffee from 5-Bucks or a sugary soda pop, (kids), or a 7-11 Slushy, (kids), these types of drinks can not only stain fabric, cloth and upholstery but they will also make the surface STICKY and this will attract both dirt and insects like ants.

Like mentioned above, the BEST time to treat any fabric, cloth or upholstery is when the item is BRAND NEW so it's clean and dry to start with. Don't put it off or you might be sorry.

The Paper Towel Trick

I was completely impressed with this product. I was talking to my friend Tom Palancia while setting up to use this product and he told me to test it out on a paper towel. I thought that's a novel idea. But if it works on a paper towel it will probably work on any fabric, cloth or upholstery.

Because I had never used this product before I was a tick hesitant to spray down the cloth interior on our Honda H-RV. It's a new car and I know that if something were to go wrong - well it's hard to recover from or undo damage to cloth surfaces. So I decided to try the paper towel trick first.

Here's a normal paper towel that I sprayed with the BLACKFIRE Fabric Protectant the night before.

Here's some normal drinking water out of the water cooler in the garage.

Not really knowing what to expect - I poured the water onto the paper towel.

Wow! Look at that!

The water is beading up just like you see water bead up on a fresh wax job on a car!

It just sat on top of the paper towel....

I lifted the paper towel and the water ran off...

The paper towel remained dry....

Gave me courage
    The paper towel test gave me the courage to spray down the cloth interior of our Honda H-RV. And just like seen with the paper towel, there was no change to the look or feel to the cloth seats, door panels or carpet once the product had dried over night. I don't normally spill drinks inside my car while driving but now if I do I have the peace of mind that I can grab the clean, dry paper napkins in the glove box and remove the spill without it seeping into the cloth or carpet.

If you have any cloth, fabric or upholstery that is important to you - don't wait - protect it before an accident happens!

Step-by-step directions

Step 1: Spray BLACKFIRE Fabric Protectant onto all clean, dry cloth surfaces.

Technique tip: First make sure the spray nozzle is turned to the spray pattern, not the squirt pattern. Next, hold the spray nozzle 5-6 inches away from the surface being treated and give the trigger a healthily squeeze to better atomize the protectant so it lays down an even spray pattern over a larger area.

Important:

Keep some clean, dry microfiber towels close-at-hand to wipe overspray off of non-cloth surfaces. BLACKFIRE Fabric Protectant won't harm other surfaces but it should be wiped off sooner than later to make wipe-off easier.

Treated surface will look natural and original after the product has fully dried.

Treat all cloth, fabric and upholstery inside your car.

Be sure to also treat all carpet surface too...

After spraying BLACKFIRE Fabric Protectant onto carpet, work the product into the weave of the carpet by hand. Be sure to wear protective gloves.

IMPORTANT
    All BLACKFIRE Fabric Protectant to cure for 12 to 24 hours depending upon temperatures before exposing to rain, moisture or spills.

After product has fully cured the surface will now repel liquids.

Non-automotive uses

BLACKFIRE Fabric Protectant can also be used around the house. For example, door mats. Here's a brand new door mat for our house.

Spray the BLACKFIRE Fabric Protectant over the surface.

Work the product into the weave by hand wearing protective gloves.

IMPORTANT
    Allow BLACKFIRE Fabric Protectant to cure for 12 to 24 hours depending upon temperatures before exposing to rain, moisture or spills.

After product has fully cured the surface will now repel liquids.

When spills do occur - blot off as soon as possible using a clean dry paper or cloth towel.

Review

This is a pro-quality fabric protectant. If you have any type of fabric, cloth or upholstery that you want to protect then get this product and then carve out the time to use it. Cloth can be easily stained, so like many things it's better to be pro-active and simply bite-the-bullet and do it than to put it off and pay the price later.

I'm not a fan of just spraying it on but prefer to work the product over the surface to work it into the fibers. I believe this does a better job of coating and thus protecting the material versus just spraying it on and letting it dry. My experience is - if you take this extra step you will dramatically better seal the cloth or fabric to maximize the protection. So my way takes more effort but if you're a perfectionist then I'm sure you'll agree that massaging the surface after it's sprayed is the better path to travel.

You'll need gloves because I don't know what's in this product but from how I've seen it work I don't want it on my skin. I don't need my skin to bead water.

You'll also need a few microfiber towels to wipe off any overspray from non fabric surfaces. Any product overspray wipes off easy, but it's still a good idea to wipe-off any overspray immediately. Then allow the product to fully dry and cure before putting the vehicle or whatever you're protecting back into service or use.

Also - this product has a very noticeable chemical scent, it's probably a good idea to use in a well-ventilated area during application. The good news is after fully curing there is no lingering odor. Also very important is after the BLACKFIRE Fabric Protectant does not change the FEEL of the fabric, cloth or upholstery after it fully cures.

BLACKFIRE Fabric Protectant will waterproof, stain-proof and protect from UV rays the fabrics in your life.

On Autogeek.com

BLACKFIRE Fabric Protectant 32 oz

Mike Phillips

Re: Review: BLACKFIRE Fabric Protectant

More...

Included in our video
    The ultra-hydrophobic water repelling ability was so dramatic I shared this idea with Yancy and when we shot the video to showcase this new product ability we incorporated the paper towel trick in the video.

Pretty cool product!