autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Review: BLACKFIRE HydroSeal RTU - Ready to Use

Review: BLACKFIRE HydroSeal RTU - Ready to Use

BLACKFIRE HydroSeal RTU

What it is?

A spray-on, spray-off SiO2 protectant that you apply during the car washing step.

What it does?

Seals and protects the surface with durable SiO2 protection.

When to use it?

After first washing and then rinsing the car but while the car is still wet. (just all the dirt and road grime are removed)

Why to use it?

To quickly add protection, shine and water-beading to the exterior of your car during the washing step.

Special Instructions

MOST IMPORTANT - ONLY SPRAY ONTO ONE PANEL AT A TIME AND THEN FULLY RINSE OFF USING THE STRONGEST BLAST OF WATER AVAILABLE TO YOU.

The SiO2 solids in this product will immediately begin to bond to the surface so it's vital that after you spray a panel that you blast it with water to spread it out over the panel while at the same time blasting off any excess so that it does not accumulate in high concentrations.

Important Information

Only work on cool surface in the shade. A warm or hot panel will cause the SiO2 solids in the spray to dry to quickly so they won't spread out over the panel or rinse off.

My comments...

Here's one of my favorite quotes that I try to practice myself and also share with others...

Try to learn from other people's mistakes, you may not live long enough to make them all on your own -Eleanor Roosevelt

Here's how it applies to this review. After receiving the product to use and then write this review, the first car I tried this on made the mistake of spraying down the entire car (after first washing and rinsing off the car), and then rinsing or BLASTING each panel with a strong spray of water. While it looked good while it was wet, after drying it off I could see lots of excess SiO2 spray still on the car. The bond between the SiO2 and the paint was so strong it was very difficult to wipe off so instead, I machine polished the car and this removed it. This proved to me at just how substantial the SiO2 solids in the spray are and how well they form a bond to the surface even as the car is wet. It also reminded me of how stupid I can be thinking I know better than the directions on the label.

So PLEASE - take my word for it. This product works insanely well but follow the directions. Wash and rinse your car and then ONLY spray a mist or 2 to a single panel and immediately blast that panel with water.

Instead of trying to SUPER SEAL the paint with the first application - just hit the car lightly the first time you use it. Then each time you use it continue to hit it lightly and over time, working smarter instead of harder, you will lay down a uniform, even layer of SiO2 the lazy man's way without any fuss.

Step-by-step directions

Step 1: Wash and rinse the car.

I don't normally use dishwashing detergent but I want to make sure any old applications of wax or sealant are removed so there is ZERO WATER BEADING in my before pictures. Then, assuming the product works we should see AMAZING WATER BEADING in the after pictures.

Here I am at about 7:30am in the morning trying to wash this Ford Fusion using the shade off the new building in front of Autogeek. It's already hot out and it's only going to get worse. This car belongs to Cody, one of the warehouse staff here at Autogeek. He says he has never detailed it since he purchased it used although it looks like Andre or Bobby has played with one side of the hood.

Here we go - a little dishwashing detergent I found in one of the break rooms....

Looks like I'll be cleaning AND disinfecting the Ford today! And note the grease removing aspect of this version of DAWN.

Shout out to Grit Guard - Love your Universal Detailing Cart for washing cars. It means I never have to bend over to dunk my wash mitt plus it rolls around the car as I wash it and it holds all my products, brushes and other car washing tools.

In the below shot, I have already washed the entire car, (including wheels and tires), and now I'm blasting the hood with water to check and see the level of water beading AFTER washing.

Virtually no water beading.
    The water is laying on the hood in a large, uniform layer or sheet of water. This demonstrates there is no surface tension to cause water to bead-up.

Optional Step - Mechanically decontaminate the paint

This is an optional step and that is now that the car is washed and rinsed, so all dirt and road grime has been loosened and flushed off the car, I'm going to use a BLACKFIRE Clay Mitt and the soapy water to remove any above surface bonded contaminants. I'm doing this for three reasons.

1: I'm a nice guy. I'm thankful Cody let me use his car for this review and I could feel the paint was contaminated while washing it - so while I'm washing it I'm going to decontaminate it at the same time.

2: I prefer to mechanically decontaminate daily drivers during the washing step as it saves me a step overall.

3: The act of rubbing a clay mitt over the paint will FURTHER ensure any previously applied waxes or sealants, (or whatever Bobby and Andry may have applied), is removed as the polymerized rubber surface does micro-abrade the paint and anything ON the paint.

I also think any type of paint protection, be it this product I'm testing out or any other product like a car wax or a synthetic sealant, will perform better on a smooth surface, not a surface with texture due to bonded contaminants.

Rinsing after using the clay mitt...

Zero water beading - Zero surface tension

This is how I want the paint to look for the BEFORE PICTURES

Next steps...
    Now scroll down to the next post because now comes the BLACKFIRE SiO2 HydroSeal RTU

2. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review: BLACKFIRE HydroSeal RTU - Ready to Use

Continued....

Step 2: Spraying ONLY one panel at a time - spray the panel with the BLACKFIRE HydroSeal RTU and then immediately blast the panel with the strongest spray of water you have available to you.

Test out your water sprayer and make sure you have selected the Jet spray option. It does make a difference.

NOTE: For this write-up, in other words, for good pictures, I'm starting on the hood. Too hard to get great pictures using the roof.

I gave the hood two good sprays....

Then blasted the hood with water.

Thoroughly blasted the entire hood with water.

No look at how the water is reacting?

It is beading up in a very uniform pattern over the entire hood. Don't judge yet - wait till you read to the end of this review and look at the pictures.

That was with 2 sprays of product and then blasting the hood with water.

Keep reading....

4. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

More...

Now I'm starting at the roof and working my way down and around the car...

Roof first and then spray - sorry not pictures of me spraying off the roof.

Next I did the side windows...

Blasting the glass...

Next a door...

Blasting the door...

Next the windshield...

Blasting the windshield...

Back wheel...

Blasting the wheel...

And so on and so on, working my way around the car.

Then - when I was all done treating each panel or area I went back to the hood and gave it another spray...

And then blasted it with water....

NOW look at the water beading!

Tight and tall and small as I like to say....

Wheels are beading water...

Vertical panels....

The glass is beading-up....

Heck the plastic by the rear view mirror is beading up!

Last step - dry the water off the car...

After you're done admiring the water beading, be sure to chamois off any standing water. I think actually wiping the surface is better than blowing the water off as wiping will give you the opportunity to remove any trace residues of the SiO2 that blasting didn't remove.

Review
    The way the water is acting on this car it LOOKS like I had previously machine polished the paint and then professionally installed a quality ceramic coating - but all I did was wash and rinse the car, then meticulously spray one panel or area at a time and then blast the product off immediately. But it looks like I spent all day on it by the water-beading factor.

I know it can be hard for our brains to wrap-around the idea that simply spraying a product onto a panel and then blasting the product off the panel with water will give the product a fighting chance to actually STICK or bond to the panel but it works. And future washing and drying will also be faster. Plus, the water beading effect creates a water shedding effect when it rains and this in turn creates a self-cleaning effect as the rain water running off your car will take a lot of the dirt and dust with it.

I'll be honest - there is a time factor involved that doesn't show up in the pictures and that's the extra time it takes to spray-on the product and then blast the panel with water. It would be much faster to spray it over the entire car at one time and then blast the entire car at one time but this doesn't work as the solids in the product work too good! But - it's still faster to spend some extra time applying and rinsing the product off than it is to wash and rinse the car and then to apply a normal coat of wax, sealant and especially a ceramic paint coating. So if you're the kind of person that can make time to wash your car but has a hard time fitting in an entire day to spend detailing your car, then I think you'll like this product.

I would also caution you to make sure your water hose in in good working order and that you have a water sprayer that has a Jet setting for blasting the water off. These two tools in good working order are key to your success. Even better, if you have a pressure washer, then use it for rinsing and blasting the BLACKFIRE HydroSeal spray off the car.

One thing for sure, technology is changing fast. This isn't how your grandpa washed or waxed his car...

On Autogeek.com

BLACKFIRE HydroSeal - 32 ounces

BLACKFIRE HydroSeal - 1 gallon

Time to do this review: 8 hours.

6. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes JR Smith, abileneautoworx liked this post
    Mike Phillips

This RTU version is now available.

8. Likes abileneautoworx liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike and others, I recently purchased a GALLON of Black Fire SiO2 Spray Sealant from AutoGeek.

Am I now suppose to dispose of my BF SiO2 Sealant and spend more $$$$ buying BLACKFIRE HydroSeal RTU ???
    to accomplish the same end results ???

I have also bought a GALLON of P&S Beadmaker.

One winner for sure is AutoGeek's Marketing strategy and your employment.

Respectfully, Chuck Sharin Auburn,WA

Post Thanks / Like

I like the cart but are we not doing the 2 bucket wash thing anymore? I thought that was essential?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CamarosRus View Post
    Mike and others, I recently purchased a GALLON of Black Fire SiO2 Spray Sealant from AutoGeek.

Am I now suppose to dispose of my BF SiO2 Sealant and spend more $$$$ buying BLACKFIRE HydroSeal RTU ???

Use the stuff. Don't blame autogeek for your buying choices. They supply to a lot of professional detailers that use this stuff in bulk quantities. I don't know why you feel you "have to" buy anything?

Post Thanks / Like

So after spraying a panel you don't dry it obviously? Do you just keep the car wet until the whole process is complete then dry as usual?

Post Thanks / Like

I thought Dawn had already been debunked as a 'wax' remover??

Mike Phillips

You're talking about this product.

BLACKFIRE SiO2 Spray Sealant review by Mike Phillips

BLACKFIRE SiO2 Spray Sealant

Just because new and different products are continually introduced in this entire industry - I don't think anyone is supposed to dispose of current product inventory. It is your choice but if it were me, I would use the SiO2 spray - especially if you're already happy with it.

I actually prefer the Si02 Spray Sealant to any of the spray-on, blast-off with water type products. That's just me, others apparently like the spray-on, blast-off products. I've never been a fan of the concept myself.

Do you like it? I have not used it, I'm still sitting on the fence about whether or not I need this product.

I understand your sentiment Chuck and appreciate your taking the time to voice or text what I "feel" is your frustration.

I'll add something to this thread below but because it's NOT targeted at you - I'm not going to include it in this reply where I've "quoted" you because I don't want it to be misconstrued as targeted at you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast