autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

Review: Pinnacle Black Label Leather Balm

Review: Pinnacle Black Label Leather Balm

Pinnacle Black Label Leather Balm

What it is?

It's a leather conditioner and protectant in a rich creamy lotion.

What it does?

It conditions and protects leather surfaces in one step.

When to use it?

Use on brand new cars are cars with clean leather. Or use after first cleaning neglected soiled leather with Pinnacle Black Label Hide-Soft Leather Cleaner.

Why to use it?

As a pro-active way to maintain the look and feel of fine leather surfaces.

Special Instructions
    Many cars have perforated leather seats. Perforated means tiny holes in the leather. Look at the pictures below and you'll see how after putting some product on a foam applicator pad I then take my fingers and massage the product INTO the foam.

Then I rubbed this dampened applicator over the perforations. By using this technique you will avoid getting product INTO the holes. If you do get product into the holes it won't hurt anything. Just to note, any excess product accidently massaged into the holes won't hurt anything and left alone it will dissipate. If you accidently get a lot of product into the holes, for example you don't use the technique I share below, you can always use a vacuum to extract the excess out or use compressed air to blow any excess deeper into the seat where it will be out of sight.

My comments...
    Product has a clean, fresh scent. It doesn't have an artificial leather scent like some leather conditioners and protectant. So if you're looking for that artificial leather scent you won't find it with this product.

2018 Continental GTR3 Le Mans Edition

Here's my test leather, this is a 2019 Bentley BLANK and the leather interior is simply a work of art. Here's the driver seat, note both the stitching and the perforations....

Perforated Leather

Step-by-step directions

If seats are new or like new, you can use this product as your first step. If seats are dirty then clean leather surfaces first with Pinacle Black Label Hide-Soft Leather Cleaner.

Step 1: Prime a foam applicator pad with product.

Dab a little Leather Balm onto the face of a foam applicator pad.

Using your fingers, massage the balm INTO the pores of the foam.

This is a primed applicator pad. There is zero product sitting on the face of the pad. All of the product is IN the foam.

Step 2: Rub foam applicator pad over perforated sections of leather.

Here you can see the difference in the treated side on the right and the un-treated side on the left.

Here I've placed a yellow line to separate the before and after sides to make it easier to see the difference.

Flat leather Surfaces

For flat sections of leather, that is NON-perforated, you can simply dab some products onto the face of the applicator pad and then apply, spread and massage the product over the leather.

The visual difference is apparent

The leather before Leather Balm is dry and flat looking. The treated side is now conditioned and protected and also has a darker, richer looking sheen.

Wipe dry

The directions say to apply until the leather has a "wet shine" and then either let it dry on its own or wipe dry. I'd recommend wiping dry to remove any excess and for a more uniform appearance.

Penetrating conditioning and protection

Even after wiping off the excess you can see a distinct visual difference that shows the product has penetrated into the leather to condition, protect and beautify.

Finishing the job

Next I applied to the rest of the driver's seat and here are the results...

Now that's nice....

Review

This leather conditioner and protectant has a real high quality feel, look and smell to it. It's very different from most leather products I've used in my life. Most leather products like this are either a lotion or a liquid and I would say most product I've used in my life by reputable brands have seemingly worked as advertised. It goes with what I tell people about picking a product and that is to pick a brand you already trust. But what I'm pointing out is that if you, like me, have used a lot of different brands for conditioning and maintaining leather surfaces, most work fine and most have a skin lotion like consistency. This product is not like that. I would use the word pudding to describe it. It has a rich consistency like pudding or a big name face cream.

Pudding-like consistency

A little goes a long way, look back at the pictures I shared where it shows the amount of product I put on the applicator pad - very little. Of course you want to use the ample amount for the area you're working and perforated surfaces should be treated differently than flat surfaces.

Application characteristics
    Application was easy, just like applying a high dollar skin lotion to your skin. Wipe-off was easy. The look and feel after wipe-off was pleasant to your skin and to your eyes.

The key to success with this product will be the key to success with any leather conditioner/protectant and that is to use it on a regular schedule. For the driver's side seat this should be once a month if the car is a daily driver. The reason why is because the driver's seat gets the most wear-n-tear. And here's the truth, you sitting on a leather seat is going to wear the leather, this shows up as stress lines or stress cracks in the bolsters, as well as sagging in the seat area. And you sitting in the driver's seat often is going to wear off any product you apply, especially where your skin makes physical contact with the leather.

If you bought a car and chose the leather option then take ownership of the maintenance side and by doing so you will give the leather the best chance of lasting a long time and looking good for a long time, (that's two things). Otherwise it won't matter what product you use.

If you're looking for a product from a brand with a great reputation for quality then I think you'll like this new leather balm from Pinnacle Black Label. But the real key is to use it on a regular basis. This means keeping a stash of foam applicators on had to apply it and a few dedicated microfiber towels for wiping the leather down after application. Down below I inserted a link to get 12 foam applicator pads. You can never have too many of these simple tools to take care of detailing jobs like leather maintenance. And "yes" you can wash and re-use them, simply use some dish washing soap at the kitchen sink and squish and rinse until you feel any excess product is removed. Then place them in a clean area where they can dry.

Neglected dirty leather
    If you bought your car used or simply have not stayed up on keeping the leather clean, conditioned and protected, then be sure to pre-clean the leather first. The Pinnacle Black Label Leather Balm has for the most part zero cleaning ability. It may remove a little topical grime but that's it. You can use any quality brand name leather cleaner to first get the leather clean. If you don't have a leather cleaner then the Pinnacle Black Label Hide-Soft Leather Cleaner is another quality product in the PBL line of products and it's safe for use on all types of leather and even vinyl surfaces. I want to let you know up front the PBL Hide-Soft Leather Cleaner is thin, clear and water-like. This is normal. So when using I recommend a simple microfiber applicator pad and I'll include the link for these below too.

Sometimes technique is vital!

IF you have perforated leather in your car then use the technique I shared in my pictures. This is a technique I use myself and have been sharing for decades. It works for me and it will work for you.

On Autogeek.com

12 Pack Pinnacle Foam Wax Applicator Pads

6 Pack Microfiber Applicator Pads - This are real handy for all types of interior and exterior detailing tasks.

Questions? Comments? Ask them below!

Estimated time to use this product, take the pictures, process the pictures and then write the review.

Approximately 4-5 hours.

2. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review: Pinnacle Black Label Leather Balm

Continued....

On Autogeek.com

For your reference, here's what is shared on the Autogeek.com store website

Deep conditioning treatment for your leather!

Pinnacle Black Label Leather Balm is a safe, intense conditioning balm that will leave your leather extremely soft and hydrated. Pinnacle Black Label Leather Balm replaces the natural oils that have been removed from cleaning and maintenance, reaches deep into the leather surface, and prevents cracking from overexposure to the sun.

Mike Phillips

Now available on the AG store!

Cool product if you have nice leather and want to keep it nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Look's to be a really nice leather product!
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Where does this leather balm fit in with the PBL leather & vinyl coating (spray)? Can they be used in tandem, or should someone be choosing one or the other to consistently keep their leather protected? Seems like the coating may protect longer (?) but not condition as well?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by pro 4x View Post

Look's to be a really nice leather product!
    It's unique in it's presentation that's for sure....

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post

Where does this leather balm fit in with the PBL leather & vinyl coating (spray)?

Can they be used in tandem, or should someone be choosing one or the other to consistently keep their leather protected?

That's a good question. I know the PBL Leather and Vinyl Coating can be sued after the PBL Leather Conditioner, so I would think you could use the PBL Leather and Vinyl Coating after using this product basically for it's conditioning benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post

Seems like the coating may protect longer (?) but not condition as well?
    That would be my guess. The PBL Leather and Vinyl Coating is a dedicated protectant, no cleaning, no conditioning - just sealing of the surface.

Good questions...

8. Thanks acuRAS82, Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful review Mike. Thanks for taking time out of your busy day to showcase.

Nice tip about working the product into the applicator before applying to the seats.

Mike Phillips

Here's video Yancy and I shot...

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, do you know how this product will react with a leather seat that was repaired?

I had an accident with a pair of jeans that nearly ruined my leather car seat (a back pocket seam rivet on my jeans came loose, bent, and gouged the leather several times). I repaired it using a flexible filler and a type of paint/finish. I have noticed that if I rub the seat down with anything alcohol based, the "paint" will release a bit.

I guess what I'm asking: is there any alcohol in this?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by aim4squirrels View Post

Mike, do you know how this product will react with a leather seat that was repaired?

I had an accident with a pair of jeans that nearly ruined my leather car seat (a back pocket seam rivet on my jeans came loose, bent, and gouged the leather several times). I repaired it using a flexible filler and a type of paint/finish. I have noticed that if I rub the seat down with anything alcohol based, the "paint" will release a bit.

I guess what I'm asking: is there any alcohol in this?
    I noticed ZERO solvent smells in this product. This means ZERO alcohol odors.

I found it to be so high in quality it almost seemed like you could eat it or put a scoop on some apple pie. As common sense would dictate - always test first. For repairs like you describe, my experience is it doesn't take much to pull a little color. Even spit and rubbing can do it.

13. Likes aim4squirrels liked this post