autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Review: BLACKFIRE HydroSeal Concentrate

Review: BLACKFIRE HydroSeal Concentrate

BLACKFIRE HydroSeal Concentrate

What is it?
    BLACKFIRE HydroSeal Concentrate is a concentrated spray and rinse SiO2 Silica-based paint coating that provides extreme levels of paint protection and hydrophobicity. When diluted 1:7, 8 ounces of product provides a whole 64 ounces of ready to use BLACKFIRE HydroSeal

What does it do?
    It provides paint protection as well as creating a hydrophobic surface that repels water.

Who is it for?
    Anyone that is looking for a fast and easy way to restore protection and water beading to their car's paint during the rinsing step of a car wash.

How to mix it?
    You can use any spray bottle to hold the BLACKFIRE HydroSeal but to make the diluting process easy and accurate, you can get a spray bottle at Autogeek.com that has pre-determinved dilution levels clearly marked on the side of the bottle. Unless you like doing math and measuring, I'd recommend getting a few of these the next time you place an order and make things easy on yourself PLUS you can never have too many clean spray bottles for holding your favorite products.

Test Vehicle
    This is a 2015 Volkswagen Passat and as far as I can tell it's been a while since it has been properly washed and waxed. She's been to the body shop recently for some repair work and the paint was higly contaminated. I've never seen this car before or worked on it so I didn't know if it had any wax or other paint protection product on it prior to washing it. But after washing and rinsing the car and then using a clay towel to remove the overspray, you can see in the pictures below, when I sprayed water over the hood the water basically builds-up on the surface and then flows off as one continuous sheet of water.

Here's water being spayed over the freshly washed and decontaminated paint.

Here you can easily see the water building-up as a continuous layer on the paint.

Here you can see it staying together as it moves downward via gravity....

Slowly, and I mean s-l-o-w-l-y.... it peels away from high surfaces as it moves off the car.

Here's the new BLACKFIRE Hydro-Seal Concentrate

Here it is diluted with water at 7:1

How to use the BLACKFIRE Hydro-Seal

Step 1: Spray BLACKFIRE Hydro-Seal over one panel at a time after first washing and rinsing the car.

Step 2: Set your water sprayer to the Jet setting and blast the BLACKFIRE Hydro-Seal off the car.

BOOM!

The paint is now protected and hydrophobic and all you had to do was spray and rinse.

Then I removed the sprayer, turned down the water pressure and used the "Flow Technique" to flow about 96% of the water off the car.

Review

The pictures pretty much tell what the product does. I washed this car THOROUGHLY including mechanically decontaminating the paint after first washing and rinsing. Then I sprayed the hood with water and there wax ZERO sign of water beading. In fact, my pictures show the water sheeting off in mass volume. Then I sprayed the BLACKFIRE HydroSeal diluted at 7 parts water to 1 part product. Next I blasted the hood with water using the Jet Setting of my water sprayer. Immediately water beading took over and all the standing water on the hood was now beading as though the car had been freshly detailed.

What does this mean?

Even without doing any correction work to the paint let along any application of a carnauba car wax, a synthetic paint sealant or a ceramic paint coating the paint now exhibits the same water beading characteristics as though I had previously detailed the car.

Faster drying
    Drying will be faster via an air blower or drying chamois because the water will want to get away from the paint.

Self-cleaning effect
    Anytime it rains water will more readily flush off the car taking dirt, pollen, air-borne pollution and contaminants with it.

Protection
    Works like a coating to seal the surface.

Increased gloss and shine

The natural effect of SiO2 is to create a glassy looking finish.

On Autogeek.com

BLACKFIRE HydroSeal Concentrate

36 Ounce Detail Bottle

Very good spray with great adjustability from atomized spray to stream

High Output Chemical Resistant Sprayer

Heavy duty spray - also has great adjustability for both atomizing and streaming liquids.
    Spraymaster Trigger Sprayer 5 Year Warranty!

2. Thanks Jaddie, Bruno Soares thanked for this post
    Likes Jaddie, Bruno Soares liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review: BLACKFIRE HydroSeal Concentrate

Continued...

Last week I was given this new product to test out and review. I had a 2015 Volkswagen Passat to detail so I tested this product out on this car during the wash process. It had recently been keyed by some hoodlums so it was taken to a local body shop for repair and repaint.

After washing and rinsing I turned the water pressure down and used the Flow Technique to see how much water I could get off the car without touching the paint with a chamois. The hydrophobic surface was created from just the spraying of this new product.

>CLICK< the image to watch the video

Yeah and normally if I wasn't holding my phone I would have turned the water off before setting the hose down.

Post Thanks / Like

So can I put this over my car that has been coated as a booster? And on my F250 crew cab, I have sealer, topped with wax. Can I use this product on that as well?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by CJDAVID View Post

So can I put this over my car that has been coated as a booster?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by CJDAVID View Post

And on my F250 crew cab, I have sealer, topped with wax. Can I use this product on that as well?
    My guess is yes. After a couple of washes the layer of wax left is not enough to keep a product like this from working.

How about you send me you shipping address and I'll send you both the concentrate and the mixing bottle to test it out yourself.

BUT - you have to share your results and a picture or two.

mike.phillips@Autogeek.net

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Always enjoy your reviews Mr Phillips. I am currently caring for my wifes 17 white Explorer, and my own 17 F 250. Both have Powerlock + on , with different toppers. I currently like and am using P+S Bead Maker, and also the Pinnacle Spray wax, though I have been happy with many of your products I have tried. I will probably try this as well, though I have zero experience with spray on rinse off products. One thing I missed reading about this is expected longevity. Any thoughts on that? Again, thanks for your help to people like myself, and regards,
    Tom Spencer

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just ordered the 4oz. With spray bottle. I’ll give it a go on my Ford Fusion Titanium daily driver just recently sealed with Black Fire SiO2. I’ll report back with my thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dodibwd View Post
    Always enjoy your reviews Mr Phillips. I am currently caring for my wifes 17 white Explorer, and my own 17 F 250. Both have Powerlock + on , with different toppers. I currently like and am using P+S Bead Maker, and also the Pinnacle Spray wax, though I have been happy with many of your products I have tried. I will probably try this as well, though I have zero experience with spray on rinse off products. One thing I missed reading about this is expected longevity. Any thoughts on that? Again, thanks for your help to people like myself, and regards,
    Tom Spencer
    If it's similar to a not so blue product from another company, 3 to 4 months is about how long it will last. But it's so easy to apply and you don't need a whole lot that you can apply it every 2 months and guarantee you're always protected.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Meh I bet more like 3-4 weeks of protection and beading. I haven’t seen anyone go much more than that on any of the water activated products. Permanon, hydro2, wetseal, aquabead, hydro blue, etc.

Not trying to rain on parades just haven’t seen it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

Always enjoy your reviews Mr Phillips.

I am currently caring for my wifes 17 white Explorer, and my own 17 F 250. Both have Powerlock + on , with different toppers. I currently like and am using P+S Bead Maker, and also the Pinnacle Spray wax, though I have been happy with many of your products I have tried. I will probably try this as well, though I have zero experience with spray on rinse off products.
    Thank you for the compliment and spray-on and rinse off products are a unique category that are relatively new in context to the detailing world.

One thing I missed reading about this is expected longevity. Any thoughts on that?
    I like to be honest and here's the deal. The first time I used this product was on this Volkswagen Passat. The owner now has the car and I have know idea what their washing and maintenance methods and frequency are.

In order to judge longevity I would need a car that I only used this product on and I already do other things to my own cars. I am going to switch over to another new product being introduced for washing my cars. I was completely impressed with how well it works.

Again, thanks for your help to people like myself, and regards,
    Tom Spencer
    Giver it a try and then let us know what you think.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post

Meh I bet more like 3-4 weeks of protection and beading. I haven’t seen anyone go much more than that on any of the water activated products. Permanon, hydro2, wetseal, aquabead, hydro blue, etc.

Not trying to rain on parades just haven’t seen it

Thanks for sharing your experience Matt. I would just point out, that nothing lasts forever, not even you or I.

These types of products are not "set-it and forget-it" type products. They are quick, easy MAINTENANCE products, or as we called it at Hewlett-Packard, PM or Preventative Maintenance. That is, you wouldn't use it for EVERY wash, but maybe every 2ndn or 3rd, or 4th wash. Kind of depends on a lot of different factors how often a person would use this type of product, things like,

• Water - what's in the water where you wash your car?
    • Wash style - I always teach people to be careful when washing a well-maintained finish - DON'T scrub the paint. Scrubbing wears everything off the paint and scratches the paint.
    • Frequency of washing
    • What is the foundational LSP to start with?

So yeah, lots of factors and again - this product is not supposed to last forever and none of the products you listed do last forever. It's a maintenance products, pure and simple.

And that visual of rain on a parade - yeah, kind of takes all the fun out of a parade. But perspective is important and so is balance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast