autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

Review: Pinnacle Black Label Compound, Polish and Diamond Surface Prep Spray

Review: Pinnacle Black Label Compound, Polish and Diamond Surface Prep Spray

Pinnacle Black Label Compound & Polish

For those that have read any of my car detailing articles specific to machine correcting and polishing paint or attended any of my car detailing classes, you already know I talk a LOT about abrasive technology.

If you are not familiar with my articles or opinions on abrasive technology then allow me to share them right now.

In my opinion - abrasive technology is NUMBER #1 factor when it comes to polishing paint. What some of you guys that think technique is more important don't understand is there are still compounds, polishes and cleaner/waxes on the market that do NOT use great abrasive technology. Mediocre products will remove swirls and scratches but they will leave their own scratch pattern behind in the paint. When using any orbital polisher this scratch pattern is called micro-marring. Great abrasive technology does not leave micro-marring and to be honest - great abrasive technology really doesn't require any skill or experience in order to get pro results.

This week I tested the new Pinnacle Black Label Compound and Polish on a black Acura RDX that looks like it was used as a hockey puck. Here's a few before picture,

Looks pretty good in this shot....

Here's how the paint really looks using a SCANGRIP Sunmatch Swirl Finder Light....

Yeah - OUCH - this hurts my eyes!

I used these two new products with one of the simplest tools on the market but incredibly reliable and functional. I used Buff & Shine Uro-Tech foam buffing pads to apply the two products. I used normal machine buffing protocols, which would be making 8 section passes to an area about 20" by 20". I did this for the compound with the Buff & Shine Medium Maroon Heavy Polishing Foam Pad followed by using the polish with the Buff and Shine Light Yellow Polishing Foam Pad.

Speed setting was on 6 for both products with about 5 pounds of downward pressure while maintain excellent pad rotation.

Below are the pictures showing the before and after difference.

Before

After

Considering the condition of the paint and the age of the car these are phenomenal results. Remember - this is BLACK paint. What does everyone say about black cars? The are HARDEST to work on. You could have blindfolded me and I could have produced these results.

The Pinnacle Black Label Compound and Polish use GREAT abrasive technology. You can trust your car's paint with these new additions to the PBL line no matter what color your car or more important - your skill level.

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Surface Prep Spray

So after compounding and polishing the paint - I can't stop there. Now I need to seal the paint to keep it protected. To do this I'm going to use the Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating - one of the easiest paint coatings to use on the market today. As most of you know however, before you can apply a ceramic paint coating after compounding and polishing you must first chemically strip the paint to remove any residual polishing oils so the coating can make a proper bond.

To so this I'm using the new Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Surface Prep Spray

Mist some onto the surface....

Gently spread and wipe off using a clean, folded and inspected microfiber towel...

Here's paint that is perfectly prepared for a ceramic paint coating.

I like to mist a little product onto the face of the coating applicator to lubricate it and also wet it with the coating....

This mist a little Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating right onto the paint....

Spread the product using overlapping motions in a crosshatch pattern....

And then immediately give the paint a soft buff to remove any high spots.

Removing the tape-line....

Here's before....

Here's the light on the demarcation line....

Here's after....

And that my friends is pretty darn nice for an older car with hammered paint. In fact, I'll guarantee you it can't get any better. Not only does it look GREAT but it feels slippery and slick, (most coatings make the paint feel rubbery), and it's protected for 2 years easy as long as you wash the car using clean wash mitts and a quality car wash soap.

Review

Pinnacle Black Label Compound, Polish
    Like I stated at the beginning of this review - I talk and write a lot about polishing paint and specifically abrasive technology used to do paint correction and paint polishing. The new compound and polish in the PBL line is Top Shelf. I would put it with and put it up against anything else on the market. You simply cannot make a mistake with these two products.

Diamond Surface Prep Spray
    This product works great. Some panel wipes drag over the paint while wiping and this can cause marring if you're not careful. This product wipes over the surface easy without evaporating so fast you don't have time to do the job proper. It has a pleasant smell and leaves the finish clear and streak-free, perfect the next step - applying the coating.

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating
    While this isn't a review of this coating, in case you've never tired it - it is the EASIEST coating to use on the market and it's goof-proof. Besides being easy to use it leaves a perfect glassy looking finish and also leaves the paint feeling slippery and you'll appreciate this slick, slippery feel anytime in the future when you go to wipe it with a detailer or booster or dry it after washing.

These are all pro quality results that anyone can get pro results with their first time and every time.

On Autogeek.com

Pinnacle Black Label Compound

Pinnacle Black Label Polish - 8 oz.

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Surface Prep Spray 8 oz.

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating

6 Inch Buff & Shine Uro-Tec Foam Pads

https://www.autogeek.net/scangrip-sunmatch-ii.html

https://www.autogeek.net/new-griots-polisher.html

2. Thanks JR Smith thanked for this post
    Likes JR Smith, Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Pinnacle Black Label Compound, Polish and Diamond Surface Prep Spray

I may be doing a Yukon Denali XL. I am planning on using the PBL line exclusively. I need to do a closer inspection but by what I've seen so far it has either very light or no scratches.

I've already done a paint correction to fix a linear scratch that ran from the front passenger panel to the rear passenger wheel arch panel, caused by running alongside some brush. The scratch was pretty easy to correct and wasn't that bad at all.

I'm thinking I can polish it out with the Pinnacle Black Label Surface Cleansing Polish and then coat it with the PBL Diamond Ceramic Coating Pro. I should have the PBL Polish on standby as well just in case i need to go a little bit more aggressive.

1. How many bottles of each should I get for an XL Vehicle?

2. Can I use the PBL Surface Cleansing Polish as a jeweling polish with a finishing pad?

3. Will one bottle of the PBL Diamond Ceramic Coating Pro get me through an XL vehicle?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Pinnacle Black Label Compound, Polish and Diamond Surface Prep Spray

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN View Post
    I'm thinking I can polish it out with the Pinnacle Black Label Surface Cleansing Polish and then coat it with the PBL Diamond Ceramic Coating Pro. I should have the PBL Polish on standby as well just in case i need to go a little bit more aggressive.
    2. Can I use the PBL Surface Cleansing Polish as a jeweling polish with a finishing pad?
    The Surface Cleansing Polish has no abrasives, so don’t expect even light scratches to be impacted or jeweling with a finishing pad (assuming I’m thinking correctly that jeweling would remove some minimal amount of cc). Pad cut is the only thing you can hope for with it and it’s a pretty wet consistency so I’m not sure what hardness of pad would start to correct in any way for you.

Sorry in advance if any part of your intentions went over my head with my response.

5. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    The Surface Cleansing Polish has no abrasives, so don’t expect even light scratches to be impacted or jeweling with a finishing pad (assuming I’m thinking correctly that jeweling would remove some minimal amount of cc). Pad cut is the only thing you can hope for with it and it’s a pretty wet consistency so I’m not sure what hardness of pad would start to correct in any way for you.

Sorry in advance if any part of your intentions went over my head with my response.
    This was a great explanation! I really appreciate your response! I may correct the paint with the Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish and a Polishing Pad then hit it with a finishing pad and the Cleansing polish then.

I wish PBL Had a finishing polish like the Pinnacle Advanced Finishing polish! I guess I can say I kept it all in the Pinnacle Family.

I will need to have the PBL Polish on standby JIC I need to get a bit more aggressive.

I wonder about starting with a finishing pad and the Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish and then if needed go up to the finishing pad, and the PBL Polish. If I really had to I could bump it up to a polishing pad and the PBL Polish. I just don't think I'll have to do any heavier than that.

The paint will give me the answer to this.

Thank you once again!!!

Post Thanks / Like

This was a great explanation! I really appreciate your response! I may correct the paint with the Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish and a Polishing Pad then hit it with a finishing pad and the Cleansing polish then.

I wish PBL Had a finishing polish like the Pinnacle Advanced Finishing polish! I guess I can say I kept it all in the Pinnacle Family.

I will need to have the PBL Polish on standby JIC I need to get a bit more aggressive.

I wonder about starting with a finishing pad and the Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish and then if needed go up to the finishing pad, and the PBL Polish. If I really had to I could bump it up to a polishing pad and the PBL Polish. I just don't think I'll have to do any heavier than that.

Thank you once again!!!
    I believe you can use the PBL polish as an equivalent alternative to Pinnacle Finishing Polish. It is PBL’s ‘finishing polish’, but probably has a bit more cut for when it’s needed. I have no doubt that PBL Polish finishes really nicely like any top finishing polish. So you can do that to stay in the brand.

Note that PBL Polish likely has polishing oils in it so you would still need to prep either with a quick SCP (by hand is just as easy machine since you are only applying to remove oils, not really for the deep cleaning). Or obviously you could prep by way of panel wipe if you have it.

I guess what I’m saying is that Pinnacle AFP and PBL Polish can be treated as equals as far as removing minor defects and finishing out nicely with polishing oils.

Post Thanks / Like

I may be doing a Yukon Denali XL. I am planning on using the PBL line exclusively. I need to do a closer inspection but by what I've seen so far it has either very light or no scratches.

I've already done a paint correction to fix a linear scratch that ran from the front passenger panel to the rear passenger wheel arch panel, caused by running alongside some brush. The scratch was pretty easy to correct and wasn't that bad at all.

1. How many bottles of each should I get for an XL Vehicle?

3. Will one bottle of the PBL Diamond Ceramic Coating Pro get me through an XL vehicle?
    I would not bother with the surface cleansing polish. As mentioned it contains no abrasives. It is used in the same way as a panel wipe in prepping the surface for a coating. I would just use the polish you have on hand followed by a panel wipe.

I believe that PBL coating comes in a 50ml bottle which should be enough. It depends on how familiar you are with coatings. Folks tend to use more their first time.

Thank you once again!!!
    I was sent both of those polishes for review and they looked and performed the same. They were the same color so it led me to believe that they are one in the same. It also does not matter if you stay within the PBL family or not. Your best option is a test spot and I would start with a polishing pad and adjust from there.

9. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I would not bother with the surface cleansing polish. As mentioned it contains no abrasives. It is used in the same way as a panel wipe in prepping the surface for a coating. I would just use the polish you have on hand followed by a panel wipe.
    I totally understand but my Ruby package is a two step polish and ceramic coating package. I figured I could just explain what the polishes do and the steps to the customer, as he is willing to pay me pretty good. This way I can follow through with what the Ruby package entails.

I don't know how to reduce the price of my Ruby Package down to a one step polish and ceramic coating. This would create an extra package and I already have 4.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz;1691202I

believe that PBL coating comes in a 50ml bottle which should be enough. It depends on how familiar you are with coatings. Folks tend to use more their first time.

I am actually a beginner. Hopefully I can get through with one bottle but I have a back up if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post

I was sent both of those polishes for review and they looked and performed the same. They were the same color so it led me to believe that they are one in the same. It also does not matter if you stay within the PBL family or not. Your best option is a test spot and I would start with a polishing pad and adjust from there.
    Glad to hear they look and perform the same. I will stay within the PBL line so I can keep with the Idea of chemically synergistic compatibility. This will also help me to build my business reputation.

I will definitely start with a polishing pad as you have suggested.

Thank you so much for all of your help!

11. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike Phillips

On the topic of using paint cleaners...

There's a LOT of confusion over the last few decades on this category of product. So to clear up any confusion - I wrote this article,

A paint cleaner is an either/or product - The difference between a paint cleaner and a paint polish by Mike Phillips

Basically - you either use a paint cleaner OR you use compound and polish or just polish but you don't need to use a paint cleaner if you've already used a polish.

A polish will do everything a paint cleaner will do AND remove defects.

Post Thanks / Like

Roger that Mike! I initially had a different plan but I've got it now! Thank you brother.