autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Review: Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating - 2011 Inferno Orange Metallic Corvette Grand Sport

Review: Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating - 2011 Inferno Orange Metallic Corvette Grand Sport

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating

My first article on using a paint coating dates back to 2011, which is also the year of this car. Since then I've used a lot of different coatings in different versions and to date, I would have to say this is my favorite product. Here's why,

1: Easy to use.
    2: Creates a super high gloss or glassy finish.
    3: Leaves the paint slick and slippery not rubbery like some coatings.
    4: Makes washing and drying super fast and easy.

The webpage for this product states it can last up to 3 years and as long as you touch the paint carefully, and by the word touch I mean using a wash mitt, drying towel or any other microfiber towel, to touch the paint, then 3 years is easily in the realm of accuracy. In my opinion and experience, and here's a quote,

Nothing looks as nice as a freshly coated car - Mike Phillips

So while this coating and a lot of other coatings can easily last a long time, the crisp high gloss shine you see like in the pictures below won't hold up for years if the car is a daily driver. That's simply because nothing lasts for ever including you and me, and immediately after wiping off the coating the paint is going to look it's best. So if you want your car's finish to look like it was just coated, then just coat it.

Besides really like the Pinnacle Paint Coating I also really like it's cousins in the PBL line and specifically the Pinnacle Black Label Surface Coating. The PBL Surface Coating is as easy to use as a spray detailer, simply mist a little onto the paint, spread with a microfiber trowel and then flip the towel to a clean, fresh dry side and give that section of paint a final wipe. Please take my word for it, this is the coolest product to maintain at least the PBL paint coating.

The real deal

A good friend of mine recently added another Corvette to his collection, a 2011 Inferno Orange Metallic Corvette Grand Sport with only 16,000 miles on it. Using overhead sunlight I inspected the swirl and scratch level of the paint and it looked great considering it's 8 years old as I type this in the year 2019.

Here's the sun shots....

There's not a lot of swirls and scratches but as most anyone that's detailed a modern Corvette knows from first-hand, real-world experience, the GM Corvette clearcoats are quite hard and after doing 3 Test Spots, in order to remove even this level of light swirling, I had to compound the entire car.

After pictures

And after doing all the steps required to prep the hard Corvette clearcoat here's what Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating looks like....

Now this is how a Corvette should look....

Products used
    And here's everything I used to take the lightly swirled out Corvette to a swirl-free, show car finish.

Hard Paint
    The paint was very hard on the Corvette, which is the norm for most Corvettes from this era. Even though the swirls were light or shallow, I needed to use foam cutting pads and a compound to remove the swirls to my expectations for the finish on this car. If you look at the above picture you'll see Buff and Shine Orange foam cutting pads, Green foam polishing pads and Black foam finishing pads. I tested the green foam polishing pads with the compound hoping this would be aggressive enough to remove the swirls and scratches and while it was good it wasn't good enough so I switched over to the Buff and Shine orange foam cutting pads with the compound and this worked perfect.

Buff and Shine 6" Foam Buffing Pads
    This was the first time I used these pads on the new FLEX Cordless CBEAST and they worked really well. The velcro backing perfectly fit the factory backing plate on the CBEAST. Besides that I like the simple, flat face design as this makes cleaning on the fly fast and easy.

Technique Tip
    If you look next to the bottle of Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating you'll see a simple, yellow foam wax applicator pad. This is what I used to apply the coating. I took some scissors and trimmed the outer edges off the applicator pad as they are not as soft as the face of the foam pad and I didn't want to risk rubbing them against the highly polished paint.

Trimming the edge off a simple foam wax applicator pad

Application thoughts...
    This is a very easy coating to apply. Simply mist a little product onto the paint and then a mist onto the face of the applicator pad and spread the coating out over a section of paint about the size of a 16" by 16" microfiber towel. Gently rub the paint until you see the coating for the most part, disappear. Then repeat this until a single panel has been coated. (a panel is a hood, or a door, or a fender, etc.). After applying to a single panel, gently give this panel a soft wipe using a clean, dry INSPECTED microfiber towel. This panel is now coated, move onto the next panel and repeat this process until the entire car is coated and softly wiped to a super high gloss finish.

The secret
    The real secret to applying this coating or any coating really is to tackle one panel at a time and slow down and take your time for applying and spreading the coating out. If you take your time you'll do a much better job in all aspects versus trying to rush.

Final thoughts...

If you're new to ceramic paint coatings, the Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating is super easy to use and leaves a slick, super glassy finish that makes future washing, drying and maintaining fast and easy. In my opinion, it's a great ceramic paint coating to use if this will be your first time applying a ceramic paint coating.

On Autogeek.net

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating

Pinnacle Advanced Compound 16 ounce

Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish

Buff and Shine Orange Foam Cutting Pad - 6 Inch

Buff and Shine Green Foam Polishing Pad - 6 Inch

Buff and Shine Black Foam Finishing Pad - 6 inch

Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay Kit

BLACKFIRE Paint Prep 32 ounce

2. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes mbkite, VISITOR, JKDesign liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review: Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating - 2011 Inferno Orange Metallic Corvette Grand Sport

Most important.....

I cannot stress the importance of pre-inspecting all of your microfiber towels before staring any detailing project. All towes used need to be inspected first. This includes towels for,

• Waterless wash
    • Wiping off clay lubricant residue
    • Wiping off compounding residue
    • Wiping off polish residue
    • Wiping off panel wipe
    • Giving the coated section a final wipe

If there is ONE tiny abrasive particle in any of your towels you risk putting swirls and scratches back into the paint. This is what I call,

Working backwards

That's because you will undo any work already performed. The further along in the process you get the more important it becomes to have microfiber towels that have passed your inspection.

If you don't know how or why to inspect your microfiber towels, click the link below and watch my video.

How, why & when to inspect your microfiber towels when detailing cars

4. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes JKDesign liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating - 2011 Inferno Orange Metallic Corvette Grand Sport

PBL paint coating is a mystery coating to me. It goes on like a sealant, it does not harden in the bottle or harden applicators or microfibers but it does last. I “only” got 2 years out of it on a customers car, but for the effort 2 years is fantastic. You can probably get 3-4 cars out of a bottle and the liquid doesn’t harden up. I wish someone at PBMG would explain the chemistry of this product.

The yellow Pinnacle applicators work the best to apply the coating.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post

I wish someone at PBMG would explain the chemistry of this product.

I hear ya.... but I don't think you'll see anyone else from Autogeek take you up on that query....

Years ago when I was at Meguiar's and the Zaino vs NXT Wax Wars were raging, my manager at that time, John Dillon gave me some advice on how to answer questions about a product when someone would ask me,

What's in the bottle?
    (happened all the time with NXT)

He told me, and I share this all the time in my classes,

Put the focus on the performance of the product, not the ingredients in the bottle - John Dillon

That was good advice back then and I continue to use it and apply it to this day. I'm not a chemist and don't try to act like one in the real-world or the online world. I know what I like and what I don't like and I know what works for me. I also like to feel "comfortable" when making recommendations to other people because I want them to have a good experience as well as be successful at whatever it is they are doing. I know if a person does the prep work correctly then this product will perform.

Plus I'm simply not a believer or a practice of long time protection because I tend be focus on longevity AND appearance, that's two things. That's why I wrote this article,

The case against multi-year ceramic paint coatings - Road Grime = Surface Staining Daily Drivers by Mike Phillips

To date, I have NOT seen any of the well known car detailing gurus write an article that makes the case for multi-year coatings, (the opposite of the case I make in the above article), but then again, I don't really see anyone else writing articles now days, gurus or anyone.

At the end of the day, everyone can figure out what works best for them...

7. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes JKDesign liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for this article. It looks like I will be trying out this product as Pinnacle products are excellent products and I have many of their products in my arsenal. I have used the hard core coatings and the soft core coatings (example Gyeon CanCoat). I no longer use the hard core coatings as IMO it is a system you have to use (special soaps, sprays and maintenance) to keep it looking great. I know CanCoat is a great enhancer to the ceramic coats. But based on this article, I am assuming the Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Coating is on par with the Gyeon CanCoat. Either way, I will be using this product for the future details.

Again, thank you for this and as always KEEP ON ROCKING!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

I was never interested in coatings due to no desire for 1+ year longevity, but the Surface Coating does have me interested as kind of a coating lite, use whenever, wherever for coating qualities (like CanCoat).

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post

I was never interested in coatings due to no desire for 1+ year longevity, but the Surface Coating does have me interested as kind of a coating lite, use whenever, wherever for coating qualities (like CanCoat).

PBL Surface Coating is my favorite "coating" product. I have 1971 Plum Crazy Charger R/T that I'm testing how long the batteries last on the new CBEAST tomorrow. When I'm done I'll use just the PBL Surface Coating on the paint for my LSP and share some info.

11. Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post
    Likes acuRAS82, VISITOR, Maxreed241 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

^^ Amazing car!!! Have fun!

13. Likes mojo122 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post

^^ Amazing car!!! Have fun!

Came into work early, going to wash the car first thing. I normally don't wash classics but the owner drives this one in the rain so there's not much more I can do to cause harm by washing it.

Plus - I'm going to spray an iron remover onto the white vinyl top to see if there's any iron contamination. Sometimes there is and sometimes there's not, you don't know until you try.

I'll also be taking some videos of the tools and techniques I use for projects like this, stay tuned.

15. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, how long did it take you to complete the Corvette? Between the washing, claying, correction, and then coating must have taken a while.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 9 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast