autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: BLACKFIRE Iron Remover by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Just tried this today and it worked just as well as IronX at a lower price. Great stuff! Has a more gel like consistency and actually clung to paint better than iron X.
    Thank you!

Been eying it. Good price point and BF products have been good to me. Once I'm running low on my other gallon, I'll give it a shot.

Post Thanks / Like

It's interesting to me that Mike used the Blackfire Iron Remover before the washing phase. Is that a property unique to this iron remover, or is that just another way to use all these types of products? I've used IronX and Meguiar's but only ever after the wash on clean and wet paint. Anyone else use products like these before washing too?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crg001 View Post
    It's interesting to me that Mike used the Blackfire Iron Remover before the washing phase. Is that a property unique to this iron remover, or is that just another way to use all these types of products? I've used IronX and Meguiar's but only ever after the wash on clean and wet paint. Anyone else use products like these before washing too?
    Most use an iron remover as part of a decontaminate wash or polishing preparation step. Since you’d have to wash the car after the iron remover anyway, why waste time by washing twice? Also, this is how some use stronger ph soaps with pressure washers such as Bilt Hamber or Carpro Lift; foam on, let dwell, and pressure rinse. The dwell soap would come before the iron remover to get most of the decontaminates off and then the iron remover would get most of the remaining iron contaminates. Then you could wash or clay the vehicle. Realize that if you clay the vehicle there is a good chance of marring so you’d usually only want to use that before compounding or polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    Most use an iron remover as part of a decontaminate wash or polishing preparation step. Since you’d have to wash the car after the iron remover anyway, why waste time by washing twice? Also, this is how some use stronger ph soaps with pressure washers such as Bilt Hamber or Carpro Lift; foam on, let dwell, and pressure rinse. The dwell soap would come before the iron remover to get most of the decontaminates off and then the iron remover would get most of the remaining iron contaminates. Then you could wash or clay the vehicle. Realize that if you clay the vehicle there is a good chance of marring so you’d usually only want to use that before compounding or polishing.
    Can't say I've really washed after using iron remover, maybe agitated the surface a bit with a soapy mitt while it's still on there, and then just pressure rinsed it off afterwards. 99% of the time I'm claying and polishing after I use it. I guess I've just gone by the IronX directions when I use the stuff. This is from Carpro's website:

Directions:
    1. Shake bottle.
    2. Wash vehicle, rinse vehicle, and remove the majority of the water with a quick towel "once-over".
    3. Spray IronX across the contaminated area.
    4. After 2 ~ 5 minutes rinse off or wash off if dried (depending on environment and temperatures).
    5. Verify all IronX is completely removed and then dry vehicle.

Next vehicle I do a decon on maybe I'll get some Blackfire and give it a try pre-wash and see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't say I've really washed after using iron remover, maybe agitated the surface a bit with a soapy mitt while it's still on there, and then just pressure rinsed it off afterwards. 99% of the time I'm claying and polishing after I use it. I guess I've just gone by the IronX directions when I use the stuff. This is from Carpro's website:

Directions:
    1. Shake bottle.
    2. Wash vehicle, rinse vehicle, and remove the majority of the water with a quick towel "once-over".
    3. Spray IronX across the contaminated area.
    4. After 2 ~ 5 minutes rinse off or wash off if dried (depending on environment and temperatures).
    5. Verify all IronX is completely removed and then dry vehicle.

Next vehicle I do a decon on maybe I'll get some Blackfire and give it a try pre-wash and see what happens.
    Thanks for the directions. You wash before, I wash after.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    Thank you!

Been eying it. Good price point and BF products have been good to me. Once I'm running low on my other gallon, I'll give it a shot.
    Got it on the 40% off sale. Glad i got the gallon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Likes JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah directions say to use on dry dirty car. My results were after wash... no dry and sprayed car.

Read directions afterwards Review: BLACKFIRE Iron Remover by Mike Phillips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I typically use it prior to washing as long as the car isn’t filthy, this allows it to sit on the car and do it’s magic and not rinse/fall of the car when it’s wet.

Jay

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    Thanks for the directions. You wash before, I wash after.
    There are two camps on this. Both have decent arguments.

I used to do the double wash, but now I just iron decon before any wash to save time

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    There are two camps on this. Both have decent arguments.

I used to do the double wash, but now I just iron decon before any wash to save time

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Ditto

One thing I stopped doing though is spraying ANY brand of iron remover on anodized aluminum trim, both the black and the silver colors of anodized trim.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12