autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 22 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Review: 3D ONE Hybrid Cutting Compound and Finishing Polish

Review: 3D ONE Hybrid Cutting Compound and Finishing Polish

3D sent a sample of their new compound/polish to test out before they launch it. To give this product a test drive, I used a 1968 Mustang Fastback that had been re-painted in the last year and then stored for months at the body shop since then. When it arrived it was very dirty, covered with some form of contaminants and with swirls and scratches.

Here she is...

First up was to get her clean, for this I used the 3D Waterless Wash

I used 2 waffle weave glass towels to show just how much dirt I pulled off with the waterless wash.

Next I clayed the car. The contaminants you see on the clay is after claying only one half of the roof and these Mustangs don't have huge roofs.

Here's some swirl shots using the new SCANGRIP Sunmatch Swirl Finder Light.

Test Spot

Here's the results from my Test Spot using a 3D foam cutting pads on the passenger side and a 3D foam polishing pad on the other side. Did 8 section passes on speed 6 for both sides.

Correction and polishing done in one step

Here's the entire car compounded. Normally I would wipe the compound off panel by panel. Just because I'm testing this product I left the compound on until I compounded the entire car. When I went to wipe it off I suspected it would wipe off hard as that is the norm for most compounds and polishes after they've dried. I was surprised that this compound wiped off like a wax, super easy. It required no grunt work to remove. In fact, it wiped off kind of like another 3D product that wipes off easy after it has dried and that's 3D Speed.

I always hit the chrome on these classics with whatever I'm using for my first-step process. I wait until I'm ready to change to a fresh pad and use the now wet pad for the job.

Same for glass - Before swapping to a fresh pad I hit all the glass to remove the road film and make it just as shiny as the paint. I teach these technique in all my detailing classes too...

This new hybrid compound/polish is almost translucent on the paint.

Here's the paint after using the new compound/polish - There is NO wax on the paint yet.

Machine waxing
    After removing the compound I then machine applied a thin film of 3D HD Poxy. I used the 3D 5.5" foam finishing pad on a Griot's DA on speed setting 4. It's been a while since I used this Montan Wax based car wax and I forgot how SUPER easy it is to wipe-off after it dries.

Tools, Pads and products
    Here's what I used in total. The new Hybrid Compound/Polish with the 3D 6.5" Purple Spider foam polishing pads on the FLEX 3401. I don't normally use the pink 3401 but all the normal red colored FLEX 3401 polishers are in route to 3D for our Roadshow Detailing Class at the 3D Training Center this weekend. As mentioned above, I used the Poxy with a 3D 5.5" black foam finishing pad.

2. Thanks PaulMys, Diner, VitreousHumor thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, VISITOR, SWETM, JKDesign, richy and 2 others liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review: 3D ONE Hybrid Cutting Compound and Finishing Polish

Continued....

Here's the final results....

My review

First - Excellent cutting ability with both foam cutting pads and foam polishing pads.
    The passenger side was absolutely perfect, zero swirls, the driver's side looks perfect in pictures but there's a few fine scratches left, hard to see with the eye harder to capture with the camera.

ZERO DUSTING - Nuff said.

Infinity buffing time - seems like as long as you want to buff the product stays wet on the surface.

Easy wipe-off.

[b]Cut and finish were superb on this car which I found to have paint on the harder side than on the medium to softer side. Buffing out only one car doesn't provide enough experience to know the full capabilities of this new product but that will come in the future with more car details.

I'd say 3D has another home-run product. I'm not sure when this product will start shipping but when it does, I'd recommend getting a bottle and give it your own test drive and see if what I wrote above is true or not. The post what you find out to this thread.

On Autogeek.com

3D One - 16 ounces

3D One - 32 ounces

3D One

4. Thanks Diner, VitreousHumor thanked for this post
    Likes osiapstndp, VISITOR, derass, SWETM, JKDesign and 5 others liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Here's a short walk-around video I made...

6. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes Loach liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great review Mike

I gotta try this when its released, I hope they sell 16 oz bottles.

Post Thanks / Like

Great result! The Mustang looks fantastic! The 3D product looks like it will be a great choice for one-step jobs. Mike, do you recall how long it took you to polish the car? You mentioned using 6.5-inch pads and a Flex 3401. Lately I've been considering using 6.5-inch pads (after misplacing the three I had before I moved) on my Flex and I'm thinking about ordering a few to test if they save an appreciable amount of time on large enough surfaces.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike: How would you rate the hardness of the paint on the Mustang? I'm on the hunt for a good swirl remover/medium polish which will work well as a one-stop polish on hard German paint and this might be a good option once it goes on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Strong66 View Post
    Great review Mike

I gotta try this when its released, I hope they sell 16 oz bottles.
    Or even 8oz like they offer now for the HD Cut and HD Polish.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Wow!! I would say nice save but I think restoration may be a better suited word. Looks like the gloss is really up there along with great defect removing abilities. Can’t wait to try this stuff out. Another nicely done review with great pics!
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Wow great job Mike. A winner for sure that you give 2 thumbs up

Post Thanks / Like

3D is an amazing company. They keep improving upon an already outstanding line of products.

3D, Griot's & McKee's are my go-to manufacturers for all my needs now. All three companies continue to impress the hell out of me.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

13. Likes abileneautoworx, rangerbay liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

great job mike, couldn't of picked two better polishers for the task as well!

15. Thanks Joe@NextLevelDetail thanked for this post
Page 1 of 22 1234567891011 ... LastLast