autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review & How-to: BLACKFIRE Pro Ceramic Coating by Mike Phillips

Mike...stellar article.

Does the BF Pro Ceramic Coating harden up in the bottle after initial use? I've run into this with other coatings, making them almost unusable after the first use. I find that if I don't use the remainder within a few weeks of initial use, it gels/hardens up. So I suspect what I am really asking, is this behavior typical of all/most coatings?

Thanks Mike,
    ScottH

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by CJDAVID View Post

Just to clarify...I can use a detail spray over a ceramic coated vehicle?
    Yes. The big concern by the OCD in the world is to NOT use product, this would include car washes, waterless washes, rinseless washes and spray detailers, (the things you would use to maintain a coated car), that are designed to leave a substantial amount of "something" on the paint to either make it look pretty or protect it.

The BIG PICTURE is to keep the coating clean by gently washing and drying it so IT can provide the pretty and the protection.

Make sense?

The entire reason of use a coating I outline in this review,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Review: GYEON Q2 ONE Enthusiast Ceramic Coating by Mike Phillips

What are the benefits of a ceramic paint coating?

Extreme gloss - So much gloss that the word I use to describe the appearance is glassy. Glassy is a tick higher than glossy.

Extreme durability - Correctly applied, coatings simply don't wear off like car waxes and synthetic paint sealants. Of course, it is important to still wash a coated care carefully and I have an article on that and will share it later in this thread.

Better protection - Hey if it's lasting longer on the car obviously it's protecting longer.

Faster washing - Ceramic coatings create a hydrophobic or water-fearing surface - water naturally wants to get away from a ceramic coated surface thus washing is faster as dirt is released easier and faster when washing.

Faster drying - Same reasons a ceramic coated car is faster to wash, water wants to get off the car so it will naturally blow off or wipe off.

Self-cleaning effect - Because of the hydrophobic surface, when it rains the water will run off faster and easier and take any accumulated dirt with it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When you put "something" on top of the coating you then get the benefits of the "something" and not the coating. At least until the "something" wears off. I never apply anything over my coated cars except for a coating detailer or a coating booster and I do use both.

thanks for the quick reply from the Nations leading Detailer.

Wow! That's quite the compliment but there are so many other talented and nice people in our industry that are always willing to help others to master this craft and art form.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post

Mike...stellar article.

Does the BF Pro Ceramic Coating harden up in the bottle after initial use? I've run into this with other coatings, making them almost unusable after the first use. I find that if I don't use the remainder within a few weeks of initial use, it gels/hardens up. So I suspect what I am really asking, is this behavior typical of all/most coatings?

Thanks Mike,
    ScottH

Hi Scott,

My guess is "yes" if you don't tighten down the lid and/or store in a cool place.

I know the applicator pads turn hard like pumice stone and the suede patches turn hard like cardboard.

To be honest, with the amount of classes I teach, I go through a bottle of the BF Pro Ceramic Paint Coating as well as other coatings AG carries before they can get old in the bottle.

In fact, I'm typing up an order for this weekend's class that includes more coatings.

4. Thanks ScottH thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone find themselves with this issue that they can’t keep their hands off the ceramic coating

Post Thanks / Like

I will be finding out this Friday as the rain has finally stopped here in Ohio. Cant wait to wash my wife's SHO after putting the coating on just to see it work. Seems like I should have put another coat on? I do know that I too like the "soft, slick, sexy" feel of a good sealer and wax over top. I will find out if it has that. All I can say is even dirty the car has a deep gloss sitting in the garage. Going to have to get some booster if it does not "feel" right to me though.

Mike Phillips

Going to have to get some booster if it does not "feel" right to me though.

Something I'd like to point out, hard to remember everything all of the time...

The BLACKFIRE Coating Booster is water based instead of solvent based. What this means to you is it will remove any residual water droplets left on the paint after washing and drying. By this I mean, after I wash and then dry my car, usually with a combination of a Master Blaster and Guzzler Waffle Weave drying towel, if I look closely at the paint surface, I can still see TINY little water droplets on the paint. A solvent based coating detailer or coating booster will not dissolve these and enable you to wipe them off. In fact, my experience with solvent based boosters is they will seal over them.

A water based booster will dissolve them and wipe them off while leaving the surface coated with the booster ingredients.

Just my observations. I use both style but for most people, a water based booster will be a better option. The BLACKFIRE Coating Booster is water-based. It also comes in a 32 ounce spray bottle which is the size you want for high-use products.

BLACKFRE Coating Booster

My neighbor just had his brand new Camaro coated with a ceramic paint coating. I bought him a quart of the above BF Coating Booster as he likes to hand wash his Camaro and dry it himself. With this product he can then give the car a final wipe QUICKLY like using a spray detailer and restore that "just coated look".

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for not searching for this question. Has anyone put a ceramic coating on a boat? Please include pros and cons.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I coated my highly modified Lexus RCF. My quandary is do I use the BF coating booster or the SiO2 post wash as the BF coating kit only came with the SiO2. This is the first time I coated a car, and want to do right by it. I’ve already tested the coating when bird bombs killed my car a week after the coat. I just used a pressure washer and it all came off. Then used the Si02 to “ clean up “ anything I missed. Please help, as I don’t see anything that either says to use 1 then the other. 1 vs the other, etc. please and thanks

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Purchased this for myself for Christmas. I bought the kit. It will be spring before I get to use it. Bought for a Quartz Red GMC 2500 HD Crew Cab with a cap. So that’s a big 3-4 day job for me and I can’t wait to do it.!!
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JB5674 View Post
    I coated my highly modified Lexus RCF. My quandary is do I use the BF coating booster or the SiO2 post wash as the BF coating kit only came with the SiO2. This is the first time I coated a car, and want to do right by it. I’ve already tested the coating when bird bombs killed my car a week after the coat. I just used a pressure washer and it all came off. Then used the Si02 to “ clean up “ anything I missed. Please help, as I don’t see anything that either says to use 1 then the other. 1 vs the other, etc. please and thanks

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    The booster seems to be more of a quick detailer from what I’ve read use it for quick wipe downs. Remove bird bombs right away. The sio2 spray is a maintenance product with from reviews any where from 1-6 months durability. It suppose to protect your coating from water spots and act as a sacrificial layer. Some people use maintenance spray once a month some longer. It depends on the variables.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast