autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review & How-to: BLACKFIRE Pro Ceramic Coating by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by CJDAVID View Post

Sorry for not searching for this question.
    Even if you searched, there's SO MUCH INFO on this forum you probably wouldn't find it. Best thing to do is type in a few key words to Google and add my name Mike Phillips. That's how I find my own articles.

Here's where I put all my boat class info

Boat Detailing Classes Dates and Info

Has anyone put a ceramic coating on a boat?

I've taught this procedure at the last 4 annual boat detailing classes with MUCH success

1: Pictures: 2018 Boat Detailing Class at Autogeek with Mike Phillips

2: Pictures: 2017 Marine 31 Boat Detailing Class - 25' Bluewater Center Console - Wetsand, Cut & Buff

3: Pictures and comments: Marine 31 Boat Detailing Class - February 6th, 2016

4: Marine 31 Boat Detailing Class Pictures - April 18th, 2015

Here's the link to the before and after pictures for a 21' Trophy and the after picture was taken 8 months AFTER the class

BEFORE & AFTER - EXTREME Gelcoat Oxidation Removal + Ceramic Coating

Please include pros and cons.
    [/quote]

Cons

Unlike a wax or sealant you must chemically strip the gel-coat or paint if it's a painted boat to remove any residual polishing oils before applying the coating. This is an extra step and depending upon the size of the boat can take time.

Applying the coating also takes time. This is why detailers that apply ceramic coatings to both cars and boats CHARGE MORE becuae it takes, Knowledge - Skill - Time and Labor. It's so much faster to simply slap a wax on after polishing anything instead of doing all the steps it takes to "install" a coating. Charging more means educationg the customer about the knowledge, skill, time and labor thingy because most people don't know any of this stuff in the car world or the boat world.

Pros
    Last longer - looks gooder longer

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

are ceramic coatings safe for all types of paint i.e. back to old nitrocellulose lacquers and other early automotive enamels/paints? I'm mostly interested in mid-fifties paints forward to current coatings. I have a couple of vehicles with unknown paint formulations and want to be sure.

Mike Phillips

Shared here,

blackfire

Post Thanks / Like

I have a virtually new BMW M240i convertible that I have been caring for using Blackfire SiO2 coating. I bought some Blackfire Pro Ceramic Black Edition and was wondering if I can apply that over the SiO2, or do I need to strip the paint with paint prep. I just used Pinnacle Natural Brilliance waterless wash on the car. In terms of cleanliness it really is fine. I would like to use the ceramic coating but, if I can't, I'll just give it another coat of the SiO2. Thanks for any advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LarryS View Post
    I have a virtually new BMW M240i convertible that I have been caring for using Blackfire SiO2 coating. I bought some Blackfire Pro Ceramic Black Edition and was wondering if I can apply that over the SiO2, or do I need to strip the paint with paint prep. I just used Pinnacle Natural Brilliance waterless wash on the car. In terms of cleanliness it really is fine. I would like to use the ceramic coating but, if I can't, I'll just give it another coat of the SiO2. Thanks for any advice.
    I would remove. Machine or at least hand polish. Need to have a clean and bare surface so the coating to adhere. No way to without actual polishing.

If paint is clean and no claying needed i would spray down with an iron decon and then polish. Depending on paint shape (by your virtually new statement going to assume swirl free. . Use a paint cleanser or a finishing polish.

Then clean with a paint prep or IPA wipe and apply your BF pro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Thanks LarryS thanked for this post
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345