autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review & How-to: BLACKFIRE Pro Ceramic Coating by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mgavin1985 View Post

The real problem I’m having with coatings is keeping my hands off of the vehicle once the coating is applied. Love coating and want to them try them all.

Mike where do you think the future is headed with coating technology titanium or healing coating. To bad we could coat tires with something that was a year or years.

To be honest, I have know idea what's coming up next.

One thing I know for sure though and that is to ALWAYS be open to new technology. Me myself, I practice being a

Perpetual Student

That is always learning...

Quote Originally Posted by Mgavin1985 View Post

Mike what are u guys working on next?
    That's more Bobby, Meghan and Andre's department. If and when I do have an idea for something new I pass it on.

Great questions...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Great write up Mike and amazing to see the time and effort spent. I am trying to understand a few things more about the coatings and when i see the product specs it says
    "9H+ hardness that is graded to last up to 2 years. "
    What does 9H+ mean- how hard is this ? What scale is this hardness on and any test results that we can view for the same?
    Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Agreeing with others, this is a great write-up. I'll excuse you for missing the few items you mentioned yourself :-).

A question on the logistics side of things; how long in terms of hours did the entire process actually take?

Thanks for your time and efforts to keep us informed and up-to-date. BTW: I too, am a life-long learner!

Mike Phillips

[QUOTE=kmohsin;1595188]

Great write up Mike and amazing to see the time and effort spent.

[/quote

Thanks, I appreciate the compliment. It takes time to take the before shots in the sun, the before shots in the garage, then do the work and then get accurate "after" shots showing the results and then processing all the pictures, typing out the information to create real "write-up" for a forum.

So thank you, I appreciate the compliment and because this is your first post on our forum,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Quote Originally Posted by kmohsin View Post

I am trying to understand a few things more about the coatings and when i see the product specs it says

What does 9H+ mean- how hard is this ? What scale is this hardness on and any test results that we can view for the same?

Thanks in advance
    Good question. I didn't know exactly what it meant myself so I used Skynet err... I mean Google to find out. Apparently the 9H rating refers to the Pencil Hardness Test and you can find more info yourself right here,

The Pencil Hardness Test

Mostly what I've see is short videos showing someone striking an uncoated and then a coated surface with what looks like a Bic Lighter. Because I don't strike my car with Bic Lighters AND after I've buffed out and then sealed the paint with ANYTHING (wax, sealant or coating), I'm not sure the Bic Lighter test will ever be used on a car I've detailed.

If you're new to car detailing and/or new to ceramic paint coatings, if you look at the first post in this thread, I actually share a TON of information - more than I think you'll find on any other forum or Facebook Group.

Click here to go to the first post on the first page of this thread

And from my own experience with multiple coatings here what I know, (not think), a quality coating will last a lot longer on the paint surface than either a car wax or a synthetic paint sealant but you must still wash and dry carefully so as not to scratch the coating or wear the coating off.

A coated car will stay clean longer.

A coated car will wash and dry longer.

A coated car will tend to have a self-cleaning effect - at least immediately after the coating is installed.

A quality coating gives car paint a glassy look, which in my opinion and experience is a tick higher than the glossy look you can achieve from a car wax or a synthetic paint sealant.

I also know and have written more than anyone else that I'm aware of that even with a ceramic paint coating, the exterior of your car will get a film build-up on it, all of it, paint, glass, rubber, etc. if the car is a daily driver and especially if the car is a daily driver in an area that gets rain. I can include the links to my articles that explain that if you have not already found them and read them.

For this reason I believe that if you want your car to look it's best then you should as one of my oldest articles reads,

"Find something you like and use it often"

And in the case of a ceramic paint coating, I think at least once a year is optimum for maximum visual appearance. If all you are concerned about is protection and visual appearance is not an important criteria to you, then "yes" you can go longer before doing any substantial maintenance to your car's pant finish.

It's kind of all up to you.

Hope that helps and looking forward to your future posts on this forum.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by mdbenge View Post

Agreeing with others, this is a great write-up.
    Thank you.

Sad to say, most people I either don't know how to make pictures magically show up on forums or don't have either TapaTalk on their phone or use a computer.

A picture tells a thousand words

I'll excuse you for missing the few items you mentioned yourself :-).
    Yeah.... everyone is so busy around here with their own jobs it's hard to find someone to take a break from their desk and come out to the garage to take some pictures, so whatever I get is what I get.

A question on the logistics side of things; how long in terms of hours did the entire process actually take?
    With Frank and I doing the work I'd say from start to finish under 5 hours. If I was by myself it would have been around 8-10 hours. Compared to a Honda Accord there's less actual real-estate to buff out but you also have to be careful when buffing out some other guy's streetrod not to make mistakes.

Thanks for your time and efforts to keep us informed and up-to-date.

BTW: I too, am a life-long learner!
    Your very welcome, I love to help other's learn both the craft and the art of detailing.

Plus - without a great forum like this one, it's hard to stay caught up with all the NEW technology being introduced. Here's an example of what broke over the weekend...

Lake Country polishing machine?????

Here's another example - I wrote this review back in July of this year, about 2 months BEFORE it's being introduced.

Review: 3D ONE Hybrid Cutting Compound and Finishing Polish

It's being introduced this week, so stay tuned...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kmohsin View Post
    Great write up Mike and amazing to see the time and effort spent. I am trying to understand a few things more about the coatings and when i see the product specs it says
    Thanks in advance
    Welcome to AGO.

Don't get to hung up on the hardness rating of a coating. They are not scratch proof. Without proper care they can marr, scratch and swirl up. They do well with wash induced marring with proper care.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Welcome to AGO.

Don't get to hung up on the hardness rating of a coating. They are not scratch proof. Without proper care they can marr, scratch and swirl up. They do well with wash induced marring with proper care.
    What’s your definition of wash induced marring?

Post Thanks / Like

So, I am a weekend warrior detailing my personal vehicles.

I have learned so much and am a customer of Autogeek. I have been sealing and waxing my stuff and it leaves everything “sexy” feeling.

I just coated my wife’s 2015 Taurus SHO using GYEON product. Was not impressed at all with the MF towels included in the kit, or the feel of the car until I put the cure coat on.

My questions are;

1. do I wash with the same product I have been using? (McQuires)

2. And, can I still use a show room shine spray on cleaner/wax?

Sorry if this has been addressed already. Just joined the forums and her car is dirty from a road trip.

Great tutorial Mike!

Getting ready to coat my Mustang next and will look at the paint more closely. I know I have some let’s say, sandy damage on my rockers.

Hoping clay, and polish will take the white “chips” in the clear coat out.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by CJDAVID View Post

So, I am a weekend warrior detailing my personal vehicles.

I have learned so much and am a customer of Autogeek. I have been sealing and waxing my stuff and it leaves everything “sexy” feeling.
    Thanks for joining the forum David.

I just coated my wife’s 2015 Taurus SHO using GYEON product. Was not impressed at all with the MF towels included in the kit,
    I'm not sure what towel would be in any particular kit without knowing the name but in most cases, any towels included in kits tend to be and entry level towel to make sure you have at least one clean towel in your arsenal.

When it comes to chemically stripping or doing the final buff of a coating here's what I like,

Microfiber
    Flat weave - NOT fluffy weave
    Stout - not soft

Here's my two favorite right now,

GYEON Bald Wipe Microfiber Towel 16x16

Meguiar's M9910 Professional Ultimate Wipe Detailing Cloth --> Out of stock

Check out my article here, lots of pictures

Microfiber towels for ceramic paint coatings - How to care for - by Mike Phillips

or the feel of the car until I put the cure coat on.
    Coatings impart one of these two types of "feel" to our car's paint

Rubbery
    Slippery

Me? I like slippery. I won't use a rubbery feeling coating.

[QUOTE=CJDAVID;1598811]

My questions are;

The answer to your first question is "yes" - although "purist" will say to only use a car wash that adds NOTHING as in no wash and wax etc. You just want pure "clean" not fluff.

The answer to the second question is "yes" - you can use a quick detailer on a cleaner/wax.

Sorry if this has been addressed already. Just joined the forums and her car is dirty from a road trip.
    Great questions and welcome to AGO

Great tutorial Mike!
    Thank you. It takes a lot of time to do the work and at the same time get great pictures. It takes just about as long to create a write-up like you see here. There's simply not very many people left in the online detailing world that do these types of write-ups. And you can't do them on FB - the interface won't allow it.

Getting ready to coat my Mustang next and will look at the paint more closely. I know I have some let’s say, sandy damage on my rockers.

Hoping clay, and polish will take the white “chips” in the clear coat out.

Claying and polishing will help but probably won't fix 100% - something is better than nothing...

Post Thanks / Like

My questions are;

The answer to your first question is "yes" - although "purist" will say to only use a car wash that adds NOTHING as in no wash and wax etc. You just want pure "clean" not fluff.

The answer to the second question is "yes" - you can use a quick detailer on a cleaner/wax.
    Just to clarify...I can use a detail spray over a ceramic coated vehicle?

thanks for the quick reply from the Nations leading Detailer.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast