autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: BLACKFIRE SiO2 Spray Sealant review by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ddsski View Post
    Thanks for the clarity.... Problem I have with all the coatings is something called real life. In real life, cars get rubbed, scratched, debris falls off trucks, trees crap sap, WINTERetc.....Twice a year, things get cleaned up. Why go thru all the coating effort ?
    Why use a coating? From my experience because you no longer have to do the twice a year clean up! I now do it once every two years! In the case of my oldest daughter's car, when I coat it again in two weeks it will be over three years since I applied the coating and it still looks great and is still visibly performing.

All of my family vehicles are daily drivers and all of them are coated. Not even close to garage queens; my wife's car sees 30K miles a year. I keep them them washed regularly and I have no issues at all. Stuff like mysterious goo from a tanker truck or dump truck, bugs, heavy layers of pollen, harvest debris (i.e. pulverized corn and soybean stalks), etc wash right off far easier than when I used sealants. In the winter they see rain, salt, snow, ice, etc.

No sealant has held up like a good coating under the abuse my vehicles see and I now have to do a full detail far less often. An all around win in my book.

If you stay away from the Facebook and E-Bay unknown brands and stick with reputable companies like Carpro and others people recommend here, they will deliver on their claims. They aren't for everyone, but I'll never go back to waxes or sealants. The only way that would happen is if I'm fortunate to one day have a "toy" car with seasonal/infrequent use. That baby will get nothing but carnauba wax!
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I am in the same line of thinking as Desertnate . And I finally have a toy car (CarreraS) which will get Carnauba wax for now ( will eventually ceramic coat)
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

Post Thanks / Like

Problem is, you live in St loius and the weather , sand, salt, logging trucks...there is no remote comparison.....I 100% get it in your region. Guess you don't hand wash your car after 800 mile trips up and down 95 from CT to Maine in the winter.....its an OCD detailers nightmare!!!!
    2018 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider Competizione Red, 2020 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrofoglio, Alfa Rosso, 2021.5 Range Rover Westminster, Portofino Blue 2016 Maserati GTS, MC Int, Ext Campio Blue, 2013 Lotus Evora IPS, Solar Yellow; 2011 Lotus Evora S, Persian Blue

Post Thanks / Like

Problem is, you live in St loius and the weather , sand, salt, logging trucks...there is no remote comparison.....I 100% get it in your region. Guess you don't hand wash your car after 800 mile trips up and down 95 from CT to Maine in the winter.....its an OCD detailers nightmare!!!!
    I actually do 500 mile trips to Chicago, Indianapolis, Tulsa, etc frequently in the winter in ice and snow. Those are all 400~500+ miles away, so 800 to 1000 miles each way. Also, with my wife drives 500+ miles a week across rural farm roads in the snow/salt/ice/rain/mud. Our cars get very dirty.

The coatings actually make the cars FAR easier to clean. All of that grime, whether it's salt, mud, dirt, or even a wallpapering of bugs comes off significantly easier than when I've used sealants. It just doesn't stick as much. In the dead of winter I can run my car through the touchless car wash and it comes out about 70% clean. Sealants would never wash up as well.

No, I don't hand wash in the dead of winter unless temps get above 50F. This only happens a few times each year. I just don't even try to get my cars totally clean and aim mostly on removing as much salt as possible.

It sounds like I'm not going to convince you and I'm not going to argue. However, I will live you with this point. In every instance you've mentioned, a coating would actually make your life easier, not harder, to include handwashing in the dead of winter. Food for thought.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

5. Likes oneheadlite, opie, The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All i can say is.....DONT knock it until you try it. Sounds as though you jump to conclusions based on something you have no experience with.

Coatings are far superior to any wax or sealant. ESPECIALLY for those vehicles that see winter driving.

I can attest to this as i have experience in applying and happily owning coated vehicles.

We may just make a coating believer outta you yet lol

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

7. Thanks Dan Tran thanked for this post
    Likes Desertnate, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have seen my friends with seriously detailed vehicles, guess what, washing a car is washing a car........I have, indeed, come to the realization that the Blackfire SiO2 is as good and better than the Collinite 845 I have used for years for durability. I am definitely not going to a tiny bottle technique because, after a winter in vehicle hell, it DOES need paint correction in the spring. I have seen enough coated cars now after winter to know this...I have, indeed been doing my homework. My Maserati dealer and I have looked at a bunch of Levantes and Ghiblis after a harsh winter. They bead like crazy still, no doubt, but you can't get past the swirls and light scratches. CaCl2 is a ####### and shaker trucks will make you wince for your vehicles finish.
    The ceramic coatings light category has me VERY intrigued!!
    2018 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider Competizione Red, 2020 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrofoglio, Alfa Rosso, 2021.5 Range Rover Westminster, Portofino Blue 2016 Maserati GTS, MC Int, Ext Campio Blue, 2013 Lotus Evora IPS, Solar Yellow; 2011 Lotus Evora S, Persian Blue

Post Thanks / Like

You have made me a believer...in the just detailed beauty! Great stuff and my go to for my track cars. I would call my experience with Gyeon Can Coat Evo a definitive upgrade though. That stuff is awesome and ridiculously easy. I did do the spring correction on all the Blackfire cars last year...coating still protected, but winter is harsh with shaker trucks, ice storms and the necessary things one needs to do to get it off etc. The Quad is can Coat now so we'll see how it looks next spring...........................never was a fan of Crack so I move forward methodically, one advance at a time. For my needs, I may be in a sweet place...but maybe I will try One or Mohs on a toy someday. I feel like I have found a brand to replace my beloved Collinite.

10. Likes Desertnate liked this post
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415