autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: BLACKFIRE SiO2 Spray Sealant review by Mike Phillips

You either have to stick in the same product line or you learn the chemistry of a particular product. Other wise, there's a lot of wasted time and dollars spent. Ask me how I Know
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

2. Likes DUBL0WS6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Haven’t been here in a long while, due to other things ,but just wanted to reiterate that I really like this product. I was a crystal seal user for many years, and now I’ve got a new car and wanted to put something on it, I went to my Detailing shelf which is filled with tons of products, and grabbed this SIO2 spray after reading Mike’s how to application guide. I did exactly what he said to do, did a rinseless first with Echo2 And then just wiped it on. It went on easy with no streaking, easy to see because it’s a little bit thick when fresh, and then wiped it off quickly with a fresh microfiber. Results were outstanding, great reflection after 10 minutes.

One caveat: clean your towels ASAP......I waited overnight and my applicator towel was discolored pink....washed, still there. towel just as soft and intact, just discolored.
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    Haven’t been here in a long while, due to other things
    Hi Glen,

Miss you here and on the Corvette sites. Hope all is well. You still in the automotive world?

Post Thanks / Like

Retired and loving it....Never should’ve sold the vette, what a great car.
    Glen -

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Morning everyone! I've read all the posts in this thread after receiving my latest Autogeek email regarding the Blackfire Sio2 product Sealant product. I haven't used a sealant before. But; as my wife and I are about to hit the road the middle of October, I'm getting ready for a detail on my ST, and also putting together a bag of goodies to take along to keep it looking great on the journey which will take us to Fort Worth, El Paso, Bisbee, AZ, Tucson, Phoenix, Prescott, the Grand Canyon, Lake Havasu, Hacienda Heights, CA, (a day trip to L.A. to visit the Peterson Automotive Museum), then on to Santa Monica to drive the Pacific Coast Highway to Carmel..

Before, I continue with our itinerary, back on topic!!

As always; I really enjoy Mike's videos along with the knowledge he shares with everyone! And; certainly, all the members here that contribute! It feels really good to be back into giving a dang how my ride looks!! Lol! For a few years, I really fell away from it.
    The ST is looking fantastic since detailing it at the end of April with my Griot's G8, & G9 using BOSS Correcting Cream, and their PolyWax, following it up Griot's Best of Show Spray Wax on occasion!
    I'm thinking for my pre-trip detail, I'll wash using my clay towel, and possibly go ahead and use either the Blackfire SIO2 Sealant or maybe the HydroSeal variant. I'm a bit on the fence which might be my best option. I welcome all comments!
    On the journey, I plan on taking My Griot's Bug Barricade, Wolfgang's Uber mixed as a quick detailer, several microfiber towels, possibly Poor Boy's World Waterless car wash (a product I've not used before), and a few other items. Oh! I'm ordering one of those collapsible buckets, as well!!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GKH ST View Post
    Morning everyone! I've read all the posts in this thread after receiving my latest Autogeek email regarding the Blackfire Sio2 product Sealant product. I haven't used a sealant before. But; as my wife and I are about to hit the road the middle of October, I'm getting ready for a detail on my ST, and also putting together a bag of goodies to take along to keep it looking great on the journey which will take us to Fort Worth, El Paso, Bisbee, AZ, Tucson, Phoenix, Prescott, the Grand Canyon, Lake Havasu, Hacienda Heights, CA, (a day trip to L.A. to visit the Peterson Automotive Museum), then on to Santa Monica to drive the Pacific Coast Highway to Carmel..

Before, I continue with our itinerary, back on topic!!

As always; I really enjoy Mike's videos along with the knowledge he shares with everyone! And; certainly, all the members here that contribute! It feels really good to be back into giving a dang how my ride looks!! Lol! For a few years, I really fell away from it.
    The ST is looking fantastic since detailing it at the end of April with my Griot's G8, & G9 using BOSS Correcting Cream, and their PolyWax, following it up Griot's Best of Show Spray Wax on occasion!
    I'm thinking for my pre-trip detail, I'll wash using my clay towel, and possibly go ahead and use either the Blackfire SIO2 Sealant or maybe the HydroSeal variant. I'm a bit on the fence which might be my best option. I welcome all comments!
    On the journey, I plan on taking My Griot's Bug Barricade, Wolfgang's Uber mixed as a quick detailer, several microfiber towels, possibly Poor Boy's World Waterless car wash (a product I've not used before), and a few other items. Oh! I'm ordering one of those collapsible buckets, as well!!

Probably skip the clay towel till you’re ready to polish again. Wash and dry and throw the si02 on it after. I use si02 after every wash on my PPF and ceramic coat. it’s amazing for shine and slickness of the surface. I use it as a quick detail spray too like the Meguires ceramic spray, don’t tell anyone though. Definitely some waterless wash is great for on the road, bring lots of detail towels as you said. Watch some videos on best practice waterless wash if you haven’t already. Just my 2 cents. Have a blast in Carmel it’s a beautiful place, safe travels.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought SiO2 was a ceramic coat. Please explain the differences besides the OCD issues applying many of these ceramic coatings.
    2018 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider Competizione Red, 2020 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrofoglio, Alfa Rosso, 2021.5 Range Rover Westminster, Portofino Blue 2016 Maserati GTS, MC Int, Ext Campio Blue, 2013 Lotus Evora IPS, Solar Yellow; 2011 Lotus Evora S, Persian Blue

Post Thanks / Like

Si02 Is a basic ingredient that they use in ceramic coatings, or one of the major ones. But it also can be put into a spray or a wax in a reduced amt. bottom line is an SI02 spray is not as durable as an SIo2 coding. But it’s a lot easier to put on. I’ve used blackfire a couple times and I much prefer spraying it on every quarter versus a permanent coding the lasts a couple years, I don’t want anything that permanent.
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    Si02 Is a basic ingredient that they use in ceramic coatings, or one of the major ones. But it also can be put into a spray or a wax in a reduced amt. bottom line is an SI02 spray is not as durable as an SIo2 coding. But it’s a lot easier to put on. I’ve used blackfire a couple times and I much prefer spraying it on every quarter versus a permanent coding the lasts a couple years, I don’t want anything that permanent.
    Agree. A small amount of SiO2 is mixed into a lot of products these days due to improve/change properties of those products like sealants, quick detailers, wash soaps, etc. Just because it says "SiO2" or "Ceramic" in the name, doesn't mean it's a coating. In the case of Blackfire they even call it a sealant, which is nice.

The coating name has even been misused, IMO over the last few years, and advancements in products haven't helped. For me a coating is a high-solids product like CQuartz UK. In that product, you wipe it on and the carrier agent evaporates (i.e. the flashing everyone talks about) leaving the solids behind to bond with the surface of the vehicle. Products like CanCoat and CarPro Lite are similar, but I don't think the level of solids are as high and therefore the shorter lifespan, but the idea is the same as the products in the small glass bottles.

The products I mentioned have such high solids in their solutions, they will harden applicators and towels if just left to dry on their own and will become unusable. You also have to be very careful with an sprayers or droppers attached to the bottles because they will harden and you'll essentially have a form of glass develop. Many/most of the other products have far lower levels of solids. Usually just enough to improve the water behavior and maybe add a more reflective gloss.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the clarity.... Problem I have with all the coatings is something called real life. In real life, cars get rubbed, scratched, debris falls off trucks, trees crap sap, WINTERetc.....Twice a year, things get cleaned up. Why go thru all the coating effort ? Unless its a garage queen. Then I could understand.
    Blackfire SiO2 is a nice intermediate for those of us transitioning from our old traditions and damn its even easier than Phils video. Just like Collinite 845, less is more.
    WOULD LOVE TO SEE A HIERARCHY OF ALL THESE PRODUCTS. Our You Tube tester is cutting thru all the fluff nicely. Lots of expensive products fail badly as do most of the Ebay crap.
    2018 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider Competizione Red, 2020 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrofoglio, Alfa Rosso, 2021.5 Range Rover Westminster, Portofino Blue 2016 Maserati GTS, MC Int, Ext Campio Blue, 2013 Lotus Evora IPS, Solar Yellow; 2011 Lotus Evora S, Persian Blue

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast