autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: BLACKFIRE SiO2 Spray Sealant review by Mike Phillips

How does this hold up against bird poop?

I have a black miata, and it seems like everything etches the paint. I'm past the point of wanting to spend the money on a pro ceramic coating (and don't have a garage to do a DIY coating in). So the next time I break out the DA, I'm looking for something more substantial than Zaino to protect the paint with afterwards (and this seems like the best option, based on reading various reviews here).

Mike Phillips

Your first post so,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Quote Originally Posted by woody77 View Post

How does this hold up against bird poop?

My guess is anything inside of bird poop that's strong enough to eat or etch through urethane clearcoat paint, is strong enough to eat or etch through this and most products.

I've see good resistance to most common problems from dedicated ceramic coatings.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve read that the Z did not provide the best protection for some. Can’t hurt to try something else and see if you get better results. BF SiO2 Spray has “traditional” polymers that I believe are similar to other BF products, so it may actually do better against certain types of etchings than some of the more highly concentrated SiO2 products.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Your first post so,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!
    Thanks! I've been lurking off/on for a while, and ordered my DA + pads + your book through autogeek.net. I really appreciate the lack of hand-waving and the good explanations of what's actually going on with the finishes.

My guess is anything inside of bird poop that's strong enough to eat or etch through urethane clearcoat paint, is strong enough to eat or etch through this and most products.

I've see good resistance to most common problems from dedicated ceramic coatings.

So, worth a shot, but don't expect miracles, then? From reading through here, it seems like this is the most substantial product that doesn't need a long, in-the-garage, cure time. Is that an accurate statement?

Mike Phillips

Thanks! I've been lurking off/on for a while, and ordered my DA + pads + your book through autogeek.net.

I really appreciate the lack of hand-waving and the good explanations of what's actually going on with the finishes.
    Thank you for your business. I tell people that if they read my book from cover to cover they'll know more than most detailers. It's information-rich.

I like that,

The lack of hand-waving

I try to keep it real. Just like I would like my help.

So, worth a shot, but don't expect miracles, then?
    Yes, don't expect miracles. Makes you wonder what the heck birds are eating?

From reading through here, it seems like this is the most substantial product that doesn't need a long, in-the-garage, cure time. Is that an accurate statement?
    This is a really nice product. I like to share it with people that I coat cars far as a product they can use to take care of the finish down the road. Easy to use and most important - leaves the paint feeling slippery. I have never met anyone that likes their paint to feel rubbery. Most coatings on the market make paint feel rubbery. I hate these types of product and never like using them.

Here's an reply I wrote in 2008, later I turned it into a dedicated article on this forum.

How long for bird dropping to damage paint?

What I wrote then is just as accurate today as when I wrote it. This is an example of what I mean anytime you see me type,

I type for the future....

Also - the car you see in the link above is the car you see on the label of Meguair's SwirlX

Meguiar's Ultimate Compound History

Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and SwirlX

Besides that product, you need clean, uncontaminated towels, for it or ANY product you're going to use.

How, why & when to inspect your microfiber towels when detailing cars

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks much for the links!

Birds... I've realized that I can't escape them (not where I am now), especially since parking at work is exposed (and where most of the birds are), so I'll come out to find bird droppings that have had hours to bake in 100*F weather (plus full sun on black paint...)

Mike Phillips

Thanks much for the links!
    No problemo - I'm just a part of Autogeek Customer Service only my answers on this forum endure forever for tens, hundreds, thousands to potentially read into the future.

Birds... I've realized that I can't escape them (not where I am now), especially since parking at work is exposed (and where most of the birds are), so I'll come out to find bird droppings that have had hours to bake in 100*F weather (plus full sun on black paint...)

Yep.... this is a tough problem for all car owners.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you see any advantage to trying to "build up" a thicker layer of this with multiple coats when first applying?

1) wash & dry
    2) correct
    3) wash & dry
    4) apply first coat
    5) apply N more coats?

Post Thanks / Like

Do you see any advantage to trying to "build up" a thicker layer of this with multiple coats when first applying?

1) wash & dry
    2) correct
    3) wash & dry
    4) apply first coat
    5) apply N more coats?
    Can’t hurt! I usually see some degree of benefit by doing a second coat. Beyond that I can’t say I’ve seen anything extra.... but, if there’s a type of product that can build up with potential protection benefits, easily due to ease of use, it’s be a SiO2 Spray sealant (just my opinion). But I’m talking more like applying two coats and then once every 3-4 weeks after that. If you apply a third coat of BF SiO2 right away, I’m guessing you’ll get streaking problems. Instead let it build up over time.

Mike Phillips

Me?

No.

My normal practice with ANY product, outside a few ceramic coatings that the manufacturer states can be layers, is to do a GREAT job of applying ONE coat or application and then stick a fork in it, call it done and move on.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast