autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Pinnacle Jeweling Wax - 2014 Maserati GT Sport detailed by Mike Phillips

Mike,

Outstanding Job as usual! I decided to pick up some myself and was wondering which Meguiar pad should I start off with using my Meguiar MT300, DFP6 - Soft Buff DA Foam Polishing Disc - 6" (yellow) or DFF6 - Soft Buff DA Foam Finishing Disc - 6"? Finish is in very good condition and maintained with Pinnacle Black Label and topped with Pinnacle Souveran which adds a nice warm glow to my silver car.

I'm looking forward on using and can't wait to get my shine on.

Thanks,
    Wig

Mike Phillips

Re: Review: Pinnacle Jeweling Wax - 2014 Maserati GT Sport detailed by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Wig View Post
    Mike,

Outstanding Job as usual! I decided to pick up some myself and was wondering which Meguiar pad should I start off with using my Meguiar MT300, DFP6 - Soft Buff DA Foam Polishing Disc - 6" (yellow) or DFF6 - Soft Buff DA Foam Finishing Disc - 6"? Finish is in very good condition and maintained with Pinnacle Black Label and topped with Pinnacle Souveran which adds a nice warm glow to my silver car.

I'm looking forward on using and can't wait to get my shine on.

Thanks,
    Wig

Hi Wig,

Sorry for the late reply, I just now found this...

Here's the rule-of-thumb you want to follow when using any one-step cleaner/wax on clearcoat paints and that is to TRY to stick with foam "polishing" pads.

Not foam cutting as this can leave pad haze in the paint.

Not foam finishing as this usually is not aggressive enough to work out below surface defects like swirls and scratches.

You want to be right in the middle, right in that sweet spot that enables you to actually do ONE STEP as it relates to the steps you do to the paint.

If you use a cutting pad, in many cases the pad itself will leave marring, especially when you're using a fresh pad. Of course foam softens up as you move around the car so there is some wiggle room BUT here's the deal... if you're leaving pad marring in the paint you will have to re-do the car to remove the marring and now you're back to 2-steps.

Kind of defeats the purpose to plan for or charge for $$ a one-step and then have to do 2 steps.

For those of you that detail for money, 2 points.

1: First when doing a one-step process for a customer DO NOT brag or claim you're going to remove ALL the swirls and scratches. That's not real-world. If a customer wants all the swirls, scratches and water spots removed that's normally a 2 or 3 step process and you should upgrade them to a higher priced package to pay for your time, labor and materials.

Under promise and over deliver but focus on NOT over promising when selling a one-step process but then do your best and you'll both be happy.

Here's point 2

2: When you use a foam cutting pad or even a microfiber cutting pad you are likely going to leave pad haze i.e. micro-marring in the paint.

Now on lighter colors you might not see it but you can usually see it on black and dark colors and here's the deal... if it's happening on dark colors it's happening on light colors.

It's not professional to do a one-step process to a car and leave pad haze in the paint. This circles back to point number #1 above.

So as a rule-of-thumb... when doing one-step procedures or what I always call "Production Detailing", stick with foam "polishing" pads.

Make sense?

3. Thanks Wig thanked for this post
    Likes Wig liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

Thanks again for your very informative and detailed training response! I have learned so much from you and hopefully within the next few weeks I'll post some pictures of my jeweling detailing.

Wig

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Wig View Post
    Mike,

Thanks again for your very informative and detailed training response!

I have learned so much from you and hopefully within the next few weeks I'll post some pictures of my jeweling detailing.

Wig

You're very welcome and I'm already looking forward to your pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

I did a little test today on my 64 Comet Caliente.

I wanted to see what the Pinnacle Jeweling polish would do with the Flex PE 8.

I used a orange cutting pad first and set the speed at 2 setting and did 4 passes with pressure and 2 passes with light pressure and reduced speed.

I was amazed at what a great job the polish did with just the orange pad.

First pic is before buffing.

Second pic is after the orange pad.

Third pic is after using a white polishing pad

Sorry for the poor quality of the pics....I recommend the Pinnacle Jeweling Polish, it does a great job with the right technique.

Review: Pinnacle Jeweling Wax - 2014 Maserati GT Sport detailed by Mike Phillips-img_20180720_162713631-jpg

Review: Pinnacle Jeweling Wax - 2014 Maserati GT Sport detailed by Mike Phillips-img_20180720_163948674-jpg

Review: Pinnacle Jeweling Wax - 2014 Maserati GT Sport detailed by Mike Phillips-img_20180720_165452165-jpg

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Red Lehr View Post

I did a little test today on my 64 Comet Caliente.

I wanted to see what the Pinnacle Jeweling polish would do with the Flex PE 8.

I used a orange cutting pad first and set the speed at 2 setting and did 4 passes with pressure and 2 passes with light pressure and reduced speed.

I was amazed at what a great job the polish did with just the orange pad.

First pic is before buffing.

Second pic is after the orange pad.

Third pic is after using a white polishing pad

Wow! Results look GREAT! Thank you for updating and sharing the results.

Here's your pics...

Before

After orange foam cutting pad

After white foam pad

Post Thanks / Like

Nice, So did you buff the whole car in 2' x 2' sections then remove product after the whole car was done? How many section passes did you use on the second step roughly?

I've already got the souveran jeweling wax and I think im going to use it tomorrow. Try to get the whole thing done in 1 day.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    Nice, So did you buff the whole car in 2' x 2' sections then remove product after the whole car was done? How many section passes did you use on the second step roughly?

I've already got the souveran jeweling wax and I think im going to use it tomorrow. Try to get the whole thing done in 1 day.
    I’ll post some info tomorrow- long day - first day of the 3-day Class - tired.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post

For whatever my experience is worth, I used PSJW to the entire car, then did wipe off. Easy going. This was only a one step to a fairly decent paint surface.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I’ll post some info tomorrow- long day - first day of the 3-day Class - tired.

No problem I'm not going to be able to get it in this weekend anyway

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast