autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: GYEON Q2 ONE Enthusiast Ceramic Coating by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Thanks Mike. I may be the first person that has used the written word to explain what "high spots" are?

For what it's worth, my trusty dusty Canon Rebel T5i broke half way through this project. What this means is those "after" shots? Those were taken with my iPhone 6+, not my normal camera. New camera on the way.

Owner loves it. That's what's most important.

Great questions, (my Facebook Live videos have seen HUGE hits by the way).

The answer is "no". I compounded with the white LC Hybrid pads and the FLEX 3401 on speed 5 and then stuck a fork in it and called it done. I truly found the paint on this Ford to be on the hard side. She didn't have a lot of swirl and scratches to start with, the owner takes care to wash and dry carefully, remember your car's paint looks comes down to how >you< (or someone else), TOUCHES it. It all comes down to the touching.

I tested this compound out at SEMA and was very impressed with the abrasive technology. I did a Test Spot on the hood and after wipe-off and then chemically stripping the test spot had had the confidence to ONLY compound the paint and it was a quick compound, mostly to remove road film and minor or shallow swirls and scratches.

I need to find a totally swirled out car like the last to 1970 Chevelles I detailed to really put this compound to the test. I have 9 classes I have to prep for as Mobile Tech Expos is about 2+ weeks away. Then I have my 2-day boat class and right after that my 3-day class.

Point being... time is limited and I have a ton of prep work to do. So as soon as I can carve out the time I will do a more thorough test of the new Compound +. I do have a review for it that I'll post next week.

Thank you for reading and your follow-up questions.

I think you are right about covering the term high spots. Also those are great results on the compound alone. It left a great finish on that hard paint.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a great write-up, Mike. As always, you offer great new & alternative perspectives for newcomers and experienced detailers alike, and I do think your coverage of the high spots is a great one. I'm glad someone else seems to use a lot of prep solution as well; I tend to use less Gtechniq Panel Wipe though. IMHO it takes less than IPA or Gyeon Prep.

BudgetPlan1:

Not sure you have to throw them away if you're using those flat weave ones. However, I tend to use them only for coating vehicles. Throwing them away would get expensive. (At least you should downgrade them if you do want to toss them!) I realize the fear is instilling swirls and scratches into the paint since, theoretically, they have SiO2 (glass!) in them now. It hasn't been so much my experience when tossing them directly into some water/APC after using them.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post
    I tend to use less Gtechniq Panel Wipe though. IMHO it takes less than IPA or Gyeon Prep.
    I am moving towards Gtechniq PW as well, previously a Gyeon Prep user. Seems as if Gtechniq cleans better and quicker, less wiping needed. Seems to work best in smaller sections than Prep but still an overall time saver and, to me, better results.

Not sure you have to throw them away if you're using those flat weave ones. However, I tend to use them only for coating vehicles. Throwing them away would get expensive. (At least you should downgrade them if you do want to toss them!) I realize the fear is instilling swirls and scratches into the paint since, theoretically, they have SiO2 (glass!) in them now. It hasn't been so much my experience when tossing them directly into some water/APC after using them.
    I generally toss immediately in bucket of water/APC as well, then launder when done...Good towels ain't cheap.

I did miss a towel I used to apply/buff CanCoat recently. Found a couple of days later and it was toast for sure. Oops.

4. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've missed them for sure! They end up repelling all water it seems!

(Sent via my mobile device...)

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing Mike. I always learn something new with your reviews

7. Thanks RamAirV1 thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post

Love the Gyeon BaldWipe and PolishWipe towels. Usually prefer the BaldWipe for Prep wipedown and initial pass on coating removal, followed by 2nd buffing/wipedown pass on section with PolishWipe.
    That's a good process for towel choice. One thing I like about flat weave towels is the zero no low linting issue. And when working with coatings, for both the prep step and the wipe-off step, the last thing you want to deal with is linting. Especially if you're working on black or other dark colors. The Bald Wipes solve this issue.

Meguiar's also has a flat weave towel in their Professional Line, the M9910. Even though stains in towels are a non-issue as far as performance goes, (in my experience), the Meguiar's M9910 is white and shows stains while the GYEON Bald Wipe being purple is simply less prone to showcasing stains. But again... a non-issue.

The one caveat wirh the Gyeon towels is they seem to bleed blue during washing for a relatively long time so now I try to wash separate.
    While bleeding or fading is going to be normal with any cloth that's dyed, (even my jeans fade), it's a good practice to wash separately. I have an upcoming article on this topic... hang tight...

Curious as to where you stand on the 'Throw away any towels used to remove coating after use'; that can get a bit costly if addicted to the Gyeon towels.
    Not me. I wash and re-use. If a person wants to be super careful, then simply mix up 2-3 gallons of water and some microfiber detergent and immediately after using a towel, place into the bucket and squish around and let your towels soak until the project is over and then immediately wash as soon as you are possible. Keeping them wet an away from air plus the detergent doing it's thing should help reduce any coating permanently contaminating a towel. I know for mobile guys, this will require an extra step but if you get one of the 5-gallon buckets we sell with the Gamma-Seal lid, you can include this in your normal detailing processes.

Gyeon really revamped their coating lineup this year; gonna be interesting to give 'em all a try; their products are generally always 'good stuff'
    I agree. I would consider GYEON coatings a top shelf product line.

Initially i found the microsuede/block a bit inconvenient insofar as setting down, 'read justing' cloth when picking up; saw/read somewhere using by cutting a shallow slit longitudinally down side of block, wrap cloth and tuck into slits and it stays pretty nicely.

Interesting stuff for sure.
    I'm not a huge fan of applying coatings with suede-wrapped blocks, it's simply awkward and cumbersome. But at this point it does make the process cost-effective.

What you don't want to do is use any type of applicator that is THICK and will soak up a LOT of the [in most cases] expensive coating. Thus the way most of the coating application blocks on the market are designed are to have a rigid block of foam that does NOT absorb to give the user something to hold on to and then an thin layer of absorbing foam not used so much to absorb but to conform to curves and then the soft suede patch of microfiber to be the contact medium that spreads the coating over scratch-sensitive paint.

9. Thanks habs33, RamAirV1, MomNPop thanked for this post
    Likes BudgetPlan1, MomNPop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great review, Mike! Gyeon products have really caught my eye this Winter.

After reading through this, I'm starting to realize I'm probably using far to little product during the prep stage. Coating longevity doesn't seem to be degraded, but I'm sure it would make the oil remover much easier and effective.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips Mike.

I have not used enough of the panel wipe products before coating when compared to your tutorial. Also, I have not been doing a total of 4 crosshatch passes when applying a coating. I will be implementing both of your processes on my next coating application!

One remaining question I have is there an ideal temperature when to apply a coating or is there a temperature range where you would not apply a coating? It is winter time now so I am always wondering if it is too cold to apply a coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I agree. I would consider GYEON coatings a top shelf product line.
    While I was aware of the Mohs & Booster combo approximating their Durabead Pro-Only product, Gyeon offered up the following regarding their other pro-coatings. Was always kinda iffy on the differences in specific characteristics between the pro stuff and what I could approximate via their consumer line.

Gyeon Pro Coatings:
    Mohs+ - No consumer approximation I could find
    Durabead - Consumer version approximation is Mohs + Booster (reactive top coat, flourine based)
    Duraflex - Consumer version approximation is new Syncro

The have a few similarities:
    - all are 2 ingredient/stage coatings;
    - all come with the same durability
    - all come with 5 year limited warranties

What makes them different is the application and mostly the characteristics of the top coat (2nd ingredient).

In Mohs+, the Phobic top coat is a ceramic coating, being the least hydrophobic, but probably the most glossy of them all.

Bead, the DuraBead top coat, is a reactive, fluorine-based product, which is in fact not another layer added on top, but something that changes the properties of the previously applied Mohs, extending durability and adding great hydrophobicity

DuraFlex it the most modern of them all, providing great slickness, superb hydrophobicity and high thickness with just 2 layers.

Mike Phillips

While I was aware of the Mohs & Booster combo approximating their Durabead Pro-Only product, Gyeon offered up the following regarding their other pro-coatings. Was always kinda iffy on the differences in specific characteristics between the pro stuff and what I could approximate via their consumer line.

Thanks for sharing the GYEON info...

I like to think of things from the BIG PICTURE point of view when it comes to car detailing although I know many in our industry/hobby are very detailed or anal retentive when it comes to all things detailing. That said, my experience is that any car that is a daily driver, parked outside most of the time, the paint will get a dirt film on it that is impacted or bonded to the surface - no matter what the surface is and this includes coatings.

Not a big deal if a person is only talking about protection and durability - but as soon as appearance is brought into the mix, then I'm a firm believer that nothing looks as good as a freshly coated car. So after one year goes by for a daily driver, this car would benefit from a light polishing and re-application of a coating to restore that just-coated-look.

So in my mind, coatings that last longer than a year are great but for anyone that has the ability to re-polish their car, then a one year coating is more than enough and at any point along the way when you wash and dry your car and it is no longer as crisp and glassy looking as it was the day you made the final wipe after installing the previous coating - then go for it, re-polish and recoat and then stand back and admire the intense gloss and shine.

14. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast