autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: RUPES BIGFOOT MILLE LK 900E by Mike Phillips

I wonder if id's be easy to replace the phillips screws with Allen style head screws..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin47 View Post
    Actually the opm is more important as it corrects faster than the Makita which has higher rpm but lower opm. Throw on a gear driven doesn’t dictate cut but the higher the opm’s the more the cut. I think the Mille does 14 opm’s per rpm, higher than any other gear driven. Todd can verify this.
    The movement between the pad and the paint is what creates cut. To figure out which machine has more cut you have to take into account the RPMs and then, how much real movement there is in each revolution. The orbit adds movement but in order to know if that movement adds enough to be greater than the movement provided by the Makita's 790 RPMs and 8.7 omp's per rpm.

The other thing to take into account is the Rupes larger backing plate. The bigger plate will provide more movement on the outside edge. The edge of the 6 inch pad moves 18.84 inches per revolution and the edge of the 5 inch pad moves 15.7 So, the makita's 790 RPMS and 5 inch pad make 12,403 inches of movement before we take into account the orbits - about nine per revolution. The Rupes on the other hand with the 6 inch backing plate and 535 rpms makes 10,079 inches of movement per minute, again, before we take into account the opms.

9 orbits of 5mm makes about 4,800 inches of movement per minute so we can add that to the 12,403 and we have 17,222 per minute for the Makita.

14 orbits of 5mm makes 4629 inches of movement per minute and again, we add that to the 10,079 and we have 14,709 per minute for the Rupes.

LET ME SAY THIS RIGHT NOW -- the formulas I used for this aren't correct, I don't know exactly how to calculate the travel of the pads against the paint taking into account the two movements - the rotations and the orbits at the same time - but I used the same methods for each machine, so while the math may not be exactly right, I have good confidence in the conclusion. The Makita cuts faster.

That said, if I were just starting out and had to pick one - the Rupes, without any hesitation because it spins the same direction as the rotary and if I didn't know how to run a rotary I'd be getting used to the way they move by using the Rupes. Also, if I already knew how to run a rotary, all that muscle memory and skill I'd developed would translate right to the Rupes. It might be slower, but in the end, it has the difference that matters.

I'm not going to give up my Makitas to switch because I've been running them since 2002 and have that movement wired. When Rupes comes out with the new Mille, the one that spins 800 to 850 and has the grip on the top that would make that work - I will buy that.

RSW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@ShineStruck View Post
    I wonder if id's be easy to replace the phillips screws with Allen style head screws..
    I would do that in a heartbeat, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

BTW, Mike.

Did you notice that because the Mille is more effective out on the edge you got a better result in tight places and didn't have to reach for a different machine on posts etc.?

RSW

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic write up Mike, thank you.

After carefull consideration & thoroughly reading your veiws on the RUPES Mille a few times I ordered one last week & I should've had it arrive late the same week but due to the Christmas rush, my parcel has yet to arrive.
    Being that I'm in New Zealand & we have had the RUPES Mille available to purchase for a few months now I have been a little cautious without reading alot of reviews here on AGO but your review eased my mind somewhat.

Quick question for you Mike.

Q - Like the long throw RUPES Bigfoot machines, is there minimal downward pressure required or like the Flex 3401, shall there be some pressure applied?

Again Mike, thank you for a great write up.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

6. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a quick question before I place the pre order,is the Mille only available with the one length cord and not the longer HD cord? Any insight would be appreciated,as I usually use the longer cord on my machine polishers.
    Thanks

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@ShineStruck View Post

In my opinion it would make it a lot easier and safer to swap backing plates.

The key of course would be to have a perfect allen wrench, not one that has been rounded.

One thing for sure - it takes some strength to remove thes Phillips screws by hand, thus my recommendation to ONLY use a Phillips screwdriver in PERFECT condition or you will round out the slots. The last thing you want to do is to have to drill out one of these machine screws in order to slip in an easy-out and try to remove one the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by RSW View Post

BTW, Mike.

Did you notice that because the Mille is more effective out on the edge you got a better result in tight places and didn't have to reach for a different machine on posts etc.?

RSW
    Yes and I believe that is for two reasons working together.

it's the shorter stroke or orbit stroke length plus the gear-driven aspect that makes it easier to do correction near edges.

With a long stroke free spinning tool, as the outer edge of a pad hits anything it tends to cause the pad to stall out.

In my RUPES how-to book

On page 55, I created a term called,

The Ghosting footprint and the actual footprint

Here's page 54 and 55

Down just to the right of my thumb is this section...

When you look down at a 21mm, 15mm or 12mm long stroke orbital polisher - if you look carefully you'll see two perimeters... the outer perimeter is the ghosting footprint as there is not 100% pad contact 100% of the time. The inner perimeter is the actual footprint and there is 100% of pad contact 100% of the time.

I'm not very good in PS so here's the best I could do using the images already in the book.

I guess when if a person write a book and can't find a term to describe what they see then they can make it up as they go. At least that's what I do.

9. Likes DBAILEY liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BucboyInPa View Post

Just a quick question before I place the pre order,

is the Mille only available with the one length cord and not the longer HD cord?

Any insight would be appreciated,as I usually use the longer cord on my machine polishers.

Thanks

Both the Mille and the new RUPES rotary only come with 29' cords from the RUPES factory. So you're good to go...

I actually took a picture of the Mille with the cord full stretched out - just forgot to process and share the pictures. So here you go...

Look carefully - see the cord?

Now I've cropped out the fluff...

And now just the cord
    This picture and the above picture are from the original pictures above...

For comparison,

Mille = 29' cord from the factory

Makita PO5000C = 13' cord from the factory

FLEX XC 3401 VRG - 9' cord from the factory - shown is the HD version with a 25' cord

Hope that helps...

Click here to pre-order the RUPES Mille gear-driven orbital polisher

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like its time to try to sell the old Makita BO6040. Its built like a tank and never had a single issue with it. I got tired of the physical effort involved and my friend's Flex 3401 felt the same way so its kind of sat for years after I decided to go back to correcting with a rotary.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Both the Mille and the new RUPES rotary only come with 29' cords from the RUPES factory.

Thanks Mike, I knew I could ask and get the low down!

Order going in!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast