autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

Review and How-To: Blackfire Foam Soap by Mike Phillips - SUDS --> LOTS of SUDS!

Review and How-To: Blackfire Foam Soap by Mike Phillips - SUDS --> LOTS of SUDS!

BLACKFIRE FOAM SOAP

How to mix BLACKFIRE FOAM SOAP for a 1 Quart Foam Gun

Me? I tend to use the glug-glug method, you know, add some water pour in some soap - get to washing your car. But I know a LOT of you are cost-conscience and for good reason, it's hard to earn a buck now days so you want to stretch each dollar as far as it will reach. I should measure - I just get lazy.

To that point, here's how to properly mix the new BLACKFIRE Foam Soap according to the directions on the label.

The label says you can mix 2 ounces to approximately 6 to 8 ounces of water.

So to make it simple, I added water to the top of the words on the jar that read,

Operating Instructions

This is approximately 24 ounces of water. Then I added 8 ounces of Blackfire Foam Soap. This gave me approximately a 2 ounce of soap to 6 once of water ratio.

To get every drop out of the mixing cup I'm using my finger as a spatula.

IMPORTANT
    You must MIX the water and soap solution well before use. IF you don't the soap can dwell at the bottom and it won't pull through the siphon tube. Plus you'll waste soap.

I like to use a Wheel Woolie for a stir stick - you can use whatever you have that's clean.

Now I have a uniform mixture of soap and water and it's a pretty blue color.

Attach the lid and the spray nozzle and you're ready to start spraying suds!

Here's my test car - it's just an old mundane 2-door Chevy...

This new formula creates mountains of suds!

When washing a car, I always recommend starting at the bottom by washing the wheels and tires first and then move to the top and work your way down. At this point I've already washed the wheels and tires, you'll see a write-up for that too...

Note that I start in the center and then move to the outside making only a pass or two. This is the CAREFULL APPROACH and "yes" I have an article on this topic that explains why and how to use this approach and I also cover this in all the detailing classes I teach.

If you're fast and it's not hot outside you can quickly move to the other side and knock out the roof, windshield and hood.

I'm fast.

Then rinse these panels and repeat this process to the rest of the car.

And here she is completely clean and ready for the next step...

Review
    Not all soaps work well in a foam gun. I've tried dozens and most only make little bubbles that don't last long. If you're like me and you normally use a foam gun to wash your cars then you WANT a soap made specifically for foam guns. Otherwise you will be disappointed. This new foam soap works GREAT and you will not be disappointed.

Final comments...
    Super sudsy and seems to provide excellent cleaning ability leaving a squeaky clean finish behind.

On Autogeek.com

Available on October 31st

BLACKFIRE FOAM SOAP

2. Thanks Dan Tran thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review and How-To: Blackfire Foam Soap by Mike Phillips - SUDS --> LOTS of SUDS!

Anyone use this since it was launched?

4. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review and How-To: Blackfire Foam Soap by Mike Phillips - SUDS --> LOTS of SUDS!

Any new thoughts on this? I just ran out of my Griot's Foaming soap but have a bunch of the foaming poly gloss left. Would these be compatible?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by nrengle View Post

Any new thoughts on this? I just ran out of my Griot's Foaming soap but have a bunch of the foaming poly gloss left.

Would these be compatible?
    If the "Foaming Poly Gloss" is formulated to create lots of suds/foam in a foam gun I would think it would work fine.

Maybe test it out and if it works, create a dedicated thread for it.

Griot's makes GREAT products.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess let me rephrase this. Would the Blackfire soap be compatible with the Griot's Poly Gloss. I've wash with BF then foam again with the GPG. I know you advocate staying in system but I just want to tinker I guess.

And current thoughts on the BF soap?

Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Anyone use this since it was launched?

Just added the BLACKFIRE Foam Soap to my cart on AG. I got a 2 OZ sample when I purchased my half gallon Foam Master. I only added two OZ to my Foam Master as I didn't know the correct dilution until reading this. I still got a decent amount of suds. So it must be pretty good. Review and How-To: Blackfire Foam Soap by Mike Phillips - SUDS --> LOTS of SUDS!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by nrengle View Post

I guess let me rephrase this.

Would the Blackfire soap be compatible with the Griot's Poly Gloss.

I've wash with BF then foam again with the GPG. I know you advocate staying in system but I just want to tinker I guess.

And current thoughts on the BF soap?
    I would say yes. Basically you're cleaning with the BF Foam Soap and then sealing the entire car with the Poly Gloss. The first time I saw the Poly Gloss used I was impressed. This was at a Roadshow Class when the BOSS Foam System was first introduced.

Pictures & Comments - Griot's Garage Roadshow Class - 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN View Post

Just added the BLACKFIRE Foam Soap to my cart on AG.

I got a 2 OZ sample when I purchased my half gallon Foam Master. I only added two OZ to my Foam Master as I didn't know the correct dilution until reading this. I still got a decent amount of suds. So it must be pretty good.
    It does work great. Like all "foam soaps" if you really want a lot of suds out of a foam GUN (foam cannon totally different tool), then add some extra soap.

10. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I used the BLACKFIRE Foam Soap in my half gallon Foam Master the other day and it got this GTO REALLY Clean! There were a ton of suds and what was left of the paint looked amazing afterwards! (The paint has a lot of clearcoat failure.) I don't feel like I had to work hard at all to get the car clean and most importantly I HAD FUN! As is the normal with BLACKFIRE Products, I was totally blown away! I believe I used 8 ounces of product to 32 ounces of water, then 3 ounces in my wash bucket. So you can get about 3 washes out of a 32 ounce bottle. If you pre foam on an XL vehicle then probably 2. Just buy yourself a gallon of it and refill your 32 ounce bottle once you discover how amazing this stuff is!

Post Thanks / Like

So got around to using this a couple days ago with the Griot's Foaming Poly Gloss. Wash worked fine as usual. I did 2 ounces to 8 ounces of water in my foam gun. That was my usual dilution of the Griot's Foaming Wash anyways. Worked just the same as it, and was more than enough for my Outlander. Sprayed with Foaming Poly Gloss after. Seemed I had even more smaller beads than using the Griot's soap and Poly. Could just be me smoking crack. Anyways, then used Aquawax as a dry aid ( I suck when it comes to drying by hand), looks great, feels real slick/smooth, and I'm sold. To be honest I'll buy either of the foam soaps whenever one or the other is on sale.

That being said, it makes this 10 year old paint look pretty good!

13. Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post