autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review: BLACKFIRE One-Step Cleaner/Wax by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by DeeWhy View Post

Thanks for the review, Mike.
    No problem... I don't normally use a one-step cleaner/wax on a show car but I have an article that explains how I operate here,

Run what you brung - Use what you have -Mike Phillips

I had the Chevelle available to me and I had to test out and use this new product in the Blackfire line to write a review.

So 2 + 2 = 4 - or at least it used to work that way?

Quote Originally Posted by DeeWhy View Post

Out of curiosity, what is the difference between this and Blackfire Total Polish & Seal? Is it the polymer seal vs. wax?

Thanks!
    The old Blackfire Total Polish & Seal was also a one-step cleaner/wax but technically it was a one-step cleaner/sealant because the "protection ingredients" were not based off a "natural wax" but some form of "polymer" based substance, at least that's what the copy for the webpage for this product read.

From this extreme makeover I documented in 2014

1998 Isuzu Rodeo Extreme Makeover! - Single Stage Paint

From the webpage back in 2014

BLACKFIRE Total Polish & Seal is an all-in-one polish and paint sealant that delivers a smooth shine in one quick step.

This is a timesaver that will save your paint finish. A combination of cleaners, polishing agents, and high gloss Wet Diamond polymers gives any paint finish instant shine and lasting protection.

See what you can accomplish in just one step with BLACKFIRE Total Polish & Seal!

My skin is made from polymers. All a polymer is - is a set of repeating monomers. But in detail jargon when the word polymer is used it is normally used to imply the words,

1. Synthetic
    2. Man-made
    3. Laboratory made

The webpage for Blackfire One step says it's a high grade paint sealant.

BLACKFIRE One Step

Second paragraph

Correcting your paint and making it perfect can be a long and daunting task. Everywhere you look you see a 3-step system with multiple pads, different products, recommended temperatures for use, and so on and so forth. BLACKFIRE One Step is looking to simplify the paint correct process for you.

Engineered to be a swirl remover, finishing polish, and long-lasting paint sealant in application, BLACKFIRE One Step provides the look you want without the hassle.

Forth paragraph

BLACKFIRE One Step features advanced micro-abrasive particles that easily remove light swirls, paint dullness, contamination, and mild oxidation for a crystal-clear finish. The high-grade paint sealant provides long-lasting protection against UV rays, road grime, outside contamination while also giving an unparalleled level of gloss and clarity.

In detailing jargon, the word sealant, as in a paint sealant is normally used to imply the words,

1. Synthetic
    2. Man-made
    3. Laboratory made

Here's the info on the label on the bottle,

So from the available information it reads like the protection ingredients are synthetic, not natural waxes.

Quote Originally Posted by JCDetails View Post

Mike, are those GG BOSS orange pads or something else?

Dont look like thinpros to me.

Those are in fact the 6.5" Griot's BOSS Orange Foam Cutting Pads. As a NORMAL practice, anytime I detail a car I ALWAYS take a picture of the tools, products and TOTAL NUMBER OF PADS used as a way of showing the masses how many pads it takes to buff out a car.

Here's a picture documenting this new practice from the first page of this thread,

On the AG store

Griots Garage BOSS 6.5 inch Orange Correcting Pad - 2 Pack

Normally I recommend people throw the 6" backing plate away and purchase a 5" backing plate for their Griot's Garage 6" ROP (Random Orbital Polisher), but for this review of this new cleaner/sealant aka a one-step cleaner/wax in the generic, I chose to use one of the most affordable tools for the masses to show them what they can do with this simple 8mm dual action polisher. And I also chose to show it with the backing plate that comes in the box and thus this is why I also used 6.5" BOSS pads.

There's always a method to my madness.

2. Likes JustJesus liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by theblob640 View Post

So for all "one-step" products, not just Blackfire, a coating would not be a good idea after the vehicle is done?
    If you're going to apply a coating then you do not want to use product that contain protection ingredients. It defeats the purpose of applying a coating and creates more work for you as "protection ingredients" are more difficult to remove than polishing oils.

Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post
    Cleaner Wax/All-In-One/AIO = Products that most detailers and forum members think of when referring to a product that "Cleans, Polishes, Protects"
    Examples: HD Speed, Griot's Finishing Sealant, D166 Ultra Polishing Wax

One Step = Products designed to fill the gap between a heavy correction compound and a fine finishing polish. They generally will not cut as much as a heavy correction compound nor will they finish to the level of an extremely fine finishing polish.

The benefit of a 1-step compound/polish is being able to have ONE product that's cutting/finishing capabilities can be tailored depending on the goal of the 1-step. If finish is more important, use a foam polishing pad. Or if you're looking for more cut, you can pair it with microfiber or foam heavy cutting pads. They are generally body shop safe and don't contain and waxes, silicones, or fillers.
    Examples: Boss Correcting Cream, HD Adapt, Scholl Concepts S20 Black, Sonax Cut & Finish.

As technology improves, that is as abrasive technology improves, there are certainly compound/polishes on the market that do a great job of doing both major correction work while finishing out like a polish and "yes" the masses do tend to refer to these as one-step products.

I see and hear and read the confusion this term (one-step) is creating as some people consider the term one-step to mean a product that does ALL the steps including, compounding, polishing and protecting, not just the prep steps of compounding and polishing.

I also don't think it's a big deal and I also don't think its anything that can be fixed. So it's up to each person to figure out either what someone else is talking about or it's up to each of us to explain ourselves clearly when we speak and type and that's an skill set that I'm sad to say seems to becoming more and more rare in this day and age of social media. --> see the movie Idiocracy --> it's an example of art becoming reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think of it quite the same way. For me, "1 step" always has and will continue to be another term for an AIO aka cleaner wax.

The terms 1 step/AIO/cleaner wax have been engraved in my head as meaning the same thing.

Going back over 10yrs ago, Meguiars used a very similar term on their label of D151 PRC, which of course is a cleaner wax or AIO or in this case a "One Liquid Solution"

And their latest version of AIO/cleaner wax D166 takes it even closer on its label calling it "One Step Solution"

IMO 1 Step means 1 Step. Not this 1 step, but then I have to lay down my "Last Step Protection"... No no, that totally contradicts the whole "1 step" that you were just talking about. Might as well be 5 more steps since the title doesn't actually matter.
    I tend to agree and think like you as it relates to the term one-step but once the Geni is let out of the bottle it's hard to put "it" back in. See what I wrote above.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post

@Mwoywod. I'm not directing that last part towards you, I'm just sort of thinking out loud from an outsiders perspective if for example a detailer had just showed me that kind of "1 step"
    I'd advise him to rethink what he calls it.
    Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post

Super nice review Mike, thank you.

Sweet ride too to be honest.
    Thanks buddy...

I know some think I only like to work on old cool cars but the truth is I take what I have. I actually like to work on any cool car - age is not an influencer for the most part. I would say that I'm lazy however and old "cool" cars don't have stupid plastic trim to deal with. Advantage old cars.

Mike, you mention it has a nice long working time, tell me - did you notice much of a difference in results the longer you worked it or does it have an optimum time frame?
    Great question - Long work time seems to be a benefit as the product turns into a jewelling wax. I did not see a downside for buffing longer for this specific product and that would be due to the abrasive technology.

As a "Pro" detailing shop, I am always looking for that perfect AIO. This one from Blackfire is very appealing to me.

Aaryn NZ.
    Somewhere on this forum, in the last year I shared some insight for all companies, ours and everyone one else in the market. Here's the jist of what I wrote,

Every serious player in this industry needs to have 2 cleaner/waxes in their line or offerings....

1: A light cleaner/wax.

2: A medium cleaner/wax

And of course - when I use the TERM cleaner/wax I don't mean the protection ingredients are specifically WAX just that the product,

1. Corrects
    2. Polishes
    3. Protects

The term cleaner/SEALANT does not roll off the lips, it doesn't roll off the keyboard and most people have know idea what you're talking about unless they are AR to the max in the car detailing world.

A light cleaner/wax is good for just what the name states, light cleaning. A medium cleaner/wax is for tackling neglected projects FAST. All serious players should have both, just my opinion and especially so if the companies in question don't have great abrasive technology to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by TMQ View Post

I got me some...!!!

Bought:

Blackfire AIO
    Blackfire polish
    Blackfire sealant

Will share info when I get a chance to use these...

Thinking of doing 2 hellcats with these. Hope these will bring out the best! Not sure which direction I will go yet. Owner may opt for a coating. And this will change things...

Later,
    Tom

Already looking forward to your write-up Tom!

You da man!

4. Thanks Eldorado2k, Diner thanked for this post
    Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    --> see the movie Idiocracy --> it's an example of art becoming reality.
    OMG. I've been saying that for years! And as recently as last night when I joked with my wife that I was going to water the lawn with Gatorade

Emojis may become our future alphabet (and/or language?)

Back on topic.... This product seems good. And thanks for sharing the experience and providing feedback/ answers

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post

OMG. I've been saying that for years!

And as recently as last night when I joked with my wife that I was going to water the lawn with Gatorade

It's sad that it's so true...

Emojis may become our future alphabet (and/or language?)
    Already is for some... a form of modern Egyptian hieroglyphs

Back on topic.... This product seems good.
    It passed my test.

And thanks for sharing the experience and providing feedback/ answers

As soon as I get caught-up I'll share pictures of what my Colorado Roadshow Class did with it... here's a before and after I posted this morning...

For everyone reading this into the future - these results were created using the new BLACKFIRE One Step

BEFORE

AFTER

Post Thanks / Like

Great Points Eldo. You are bringing me around to your way of thinking. Thanks for the response. Also, thank you Mike for sharing your thoughts. If anyone is going to set the record straight and eliminate the confusing I'm sure it will be you.

So, if the consensus is to call AIO/cleaner waxes "1-steps" then what should we call products like HD Adapt, Sonax Cut & Finish, Boss Correcting Cream, etc?

My suggestions:
    "compounding polish" "correcting polish" or maybe it should be called the "you still have one more step 1-step" lol

8. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

I might have missed it.

As it relates to light and medium cleaner waxes. Where does BF’s new One Step rank compare to HD Speed?

I’m getting a free sample of this new BF One Step and I’m looking forward to trying it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Great Points Eldo. You are bringing me around to your way of thinking. Thanks for the response. Also, thank you Mike for sharing your thoughts. If anyone is going to set the record straight and eliminate the confusing I'm sure it will be you.

So, if the consensus is to call AIO/cleaner waxes "1-steps" then what should we call products like HD Adapt, Sonax Cut & Finish, Boss Correcting Cream, etc?

My suggestions:
    "compounding polish" "correcting polish" or maybe it should be called the "you still have one more step 1-step" lol
    Man we are a special group aren’t we

I can’t make up my mind.

I say that a “one step polish” referring to the act of polishing is just that. One step, one polish/compound, one pad, whether it be a compound or polish used. I’m still amazed when compounds can finish LSP. It feels like cheating.

When I’m referring to the actual product in the bottle “one step polish” or similar should be followed by AIO, cleans, corrects, polishes, seals/wax/protects etc.. Blackfire does that by labeling the One Step as “cleans, polishes, and protects”

Can you imagine how confused the consumer would be if we put all of Autogeek’s offerings of: compounds, polishes, AIO’s, sealants, waxes, and coatings out on the shelves of Walmart? That would be fun to watch the 18 year old employee try and explain the difference to the customer

Now if someone can create a bottle of one step correcting polish that removes 1200 grit scratches like a compound and finishes as good as the best finishing polish, then they could call their product a “One step polish”. You wouldn’t want a sealant or wax in the miracle product, it wouldn’t be body shop safe.

Post Thanks / Like

Review: BLACKFIRE One-Step Cleaner/Wax by Mike Phillips

@mwoywod. Thanks for the kind words, you're a true class act who clearly keeps an open mind and that's key when it comes to being able to learn new things everyday and continue to build and perfect your craft. Review: BLACKFIRE One-Step Cleaner/Wax by Mike Phillips

The short answer would be to simply call it the year 2017. When it comes to the world of detailing, we're no doubt living in Primetime.

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailing View Post
    Man we are a special group aren’t weReview: BLACKFIRE One-Step Cleaner/Wax by Mike Phillips
    Great community of knowledgeable, friendly, and best of all active people on this forum. It wouldn't be what it is without all of you guys who keep it thriving. Review: BLACKFIRE One-Step Cleaner/Wax by Mike Phillips

12. Thanks mwoywod thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Mike,

I might have missed it.

As it relates to light and medium cleaner waxes. Where does BF’s new One Step rank compare to HD Speed?
    I would put both of them in the "Medium Cleaning" or "Medium Correcting" category.

As I explain in my article below, there ins't really an aggressive cleaner/waxes on the market any longer since clearcoat paints were introduded. At least NOT in the CONTEXT of what used to be available back in the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s

How to choose and use a one-step cleaner/wax by Mike Phillips

Here's the pertinent portion...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Cleaner/Wax Options
    There is no industry standard for categorizing cleaner/waxes by how light or how strong they are as it relates to cleaning ability. Below I’ve included a selection of reputable brands and placed them into one of three different categories.

I have purposely left out a category for aggressive cleaner/waxes as there aren’t any such products that are safe to use on clearcoat finishes. There are aggressive cleaner/waxes in the marine world for gel-coat finishes but that’s another book another day.

I’m getting a free sample of this new BF One Step and I’m looking forward to trying it out.

I'm confident you'll love it.

14. Thanks LEDetailing thanked for this post
    Likes LEDetailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Already is for some... a form of modern Egyptian hieroglyphs
    Funny way to look at it...and true!

As soon as I get caught-up I'll share pictures of what my Colorado Roadshow Class did with it... here's a before and after I posted this morning...

Turned out great!

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast