autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review: BLACKFIRE One-Step Cleaner/Wax by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Superjet View Post
    So is it ok to use the Black Fire SI02 after using the One Step?

I do. In fact I used the Blackfire SI02 over BLACKFIRE One Step on a Maserati this last Saturday. Results were stunning!

Next day I topped with Pinnacle Black Label Surface Coating - took the results to and even darker, more clear results. Check it out...

2. Likes cullen2505, Diner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I do. In fact I used the Blackfire SI02 over BLACKFIRE One Step on a Maserati this last Saturday. Results were stunning!

Next day I topped with Pinnacle Black Label Surface Coating - took the results to and even darker, more clear results. Check it out...

Stunning results Mike. I wouldn't have thought about a coating over something like SiO2. Interesting.

Would have been nice to see results like that on the Porsche I did couple weeks ago. But, not in the budget.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought the BF One Step, cant wait to test it against HD Speed and Megs D166 which I already have and used. Will most likely use them all with a Rupes Yellow foam pad as one steps.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post

Stunning results Mike.
    Wait until you see my write-up. This Maserati was recently painted. When it arrived here it was filled with sanding marks and holograms. The paint was on the soft side. I removed the sanding marks using BLACKFIRE Compound and a white foam polishing pad --> with ease.

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    I wouldn't have thought about a coating over something like SiO2. Interesting.
    Sometimes I break the rules. I love Pinnacle Black Label Surface Coating, it's very easy to use, creates that glassy look and leaves the paint slippery feeling, not rubbery feeling like a lot of coatings.

It really darkened the SI02 results which were perfect already.

Leaving for Colorado tomorrow for my Roadshow class at RUPES, so no time to process pictures before I leave for the day.

Trust me - I have the pictures to show how bad this Maserati was when it arrived. It looks like it was used as a Hockey Puck.

Post Thanks / Like

Wait until you see my write-up. This Maserati was recently painted. When it arrived here it was filled with sanding marks and holograms. The paint was on the soft side. I removed the sanding marks using BLACKFIRE Compound and a white foam polishing pad --> with ease.
    I'll, of course, read it and add it to my notebook

Sometimes I break the rules. I love Pinnacle Black Label Surface Coating, it's very easy to use, creates that glassy look and leaves the paint slippery feeling, not rubbery feeling like a lot of coatings.
    There's a good chance I'll see that Porsche again. I'll start getting my coating practice.

Have a safe trip, Mike

Post Thanks / Like

would it be possible to use this with a Rupes Medium Polishing wool pad ?
    I have already used it with LC cutting and polishing foam pads and it works great.
    Gav Details on YouTube:
    www.youtube.com/c/GavDetails

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently, I'm very good at resurrecting old threads. I'm sorry. Just wanted to obtain some clarification and I see this was brought up a few a pages ago.

I seem to recall in other places in the forum here that AIO's should be utilized solely with a polishing pad... yet, this particular review, it looks like an orange cutting pad was used. I was under the impression from previous reading that the use of a cutting pad with an AIO would / could result in micro-marring and/or haze. Is this not the case? Is it product specific?

I'm currently using a Griot's 6" DA and my go-to AIO has been McKee's 360 using LC thin pro white polishing pads. Could I safely utilize the orange cutting pad with McKee's 360? I thought that was a no-no. Could anyone lend any clarification?
    - Scott.

Post Thanks / Like

I used the orange LC thin pro pads with my 21 MM da with great results.

Your paint will dictate what type of pad is acceptable, do a test spot with both pads

You may like the results of one pad better than the other.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by PSYS View Post

Apparently, I'm very good at resurrecting old threads. I'm sorry. Just wanted to obtain some clarification and I see this was brought up a few a pages ago.
    Never worry about bring an old thread back to life. Actually, in context this is NOT and old thread. It's all good.

I seem to recall in other places in the forum here that AIO's should be utilized solely with a polishing pad... yet, this particular review, it looks like an orange cutting pad was used. I was under the impression from previous reading that the use of a cutting pad with an AIO would / could result in micro-marring and/or haze. Is this not the case? Is it product specific?

I wrote that article and stand by what I wrote. Here's the link.

Good rule of thumb when using an AIO - stick with foam polishing pads by Mike Phillips

Here's the picture showing the Griot's orange pads from the first page of this thread.

And I think most people that have used the Griot's orange BOSS pads will agree, they are on the soft side of cutting pads, not the sharp side. Once any pad becomes wet with product this also softens up the pad. Also, If you've ever felt or used the Griot's yellow foam polishing pads, they are also very soft, not much cut so they would not have worked for the level of swirls and scratches in this Chevelle.

So... always do a test spot as there is a lot of variance in pads on the market. The BIG PICTURE is to avoid marring the paint when using a one-step product. And be careful on light colored cars. Pad marring (and also abrasive marring), shows up easy on black and dark colored paints but no so on white and light colored paints. So use good light to inspect the results from your Test Spot.

Good eye!

I'm currently using a Griot's 6" DA and my go-to AIO has been McKee's 360 using LC thin pro white polishing pads.

Could I safely utilize the orange cutting pad with McKee's 360? I thought that was a no-no.

Could anyone lend any clarification?
    IF you were to FEEL a brand new clean Lake Country Orange ThinPro cutting pad and then FEEL a brand new Griot's orange foam cutting pad you would feel a HUGE difference.

The way you "feel" a pad is, first, it should be clean. Second - draw your clean palm and finger tips over the face of the pad.

Foam cutting pads should and will feel SHARP. That is there's a sharpness or coarseness to the feel of the pad. Just one of the hundreds of things I show in all my detailing classes.

That LC orange ThinPro pad is sharp - so be sure to test first before buffing out an entire car. Last thing you want to do is think you're done only to find out you need to re-buff the entire car (to remove pad haze).

Make sense?

11. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Never worry about bring an old thread back to life. Actually, in context this is NOT and old thread. It's all good.
    You’re so cool Mike. No really I mean it, you’re a real nice guy.. There’s people on other forums who act like they’re dictators over little stuff like this and it’s a major turnoff to people who are simply trying to join in the community on any given platform.

This forum is by far the best place for respectful communication between likeminded people. Thanks for reminding me of that.Review: BLACKFIRE One-Step Cleaner/Wax by Mike PhillipsReview: BLACKFIRE One-Step Cleaner/Wax by Mike PhillipsReview: BLACKFIRE One-Step Cleaner/Wax by Mike Phillips

13. Likes acuRAS82, SWETM, Burger liked this post
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast