autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

Review: Dirt Cop Hand and Surface Towels by Mike Phillips

Review: Dirt Cop Hand and Surface Towels by Mike Phillips

Most of you know I like to turn wrenches. That is I like to do all my own mechanical work. I find taking things apart, rebuilding them and the re-assembling them to be very relaxing.

A few weeks ago Danielle placed a container of Dirt Cop Hand & Surface Towels on my desk and told me we were going to launch this new brand and I needed to write a review. I thought to myself...

Where were these wipes and the DirtCop Hand Cleaner a few months ago when I had the engine out of my truck? I was cleaning 30 years of black greasy, grimy sludge off the engine and engine compartment and I could have used these two products to review back then.

No big deal as now that the engine is back I have a few more regular maintenance tasks to do and one of them was to put new U-joints in the front and rear driveline. This gave me the perfect opportunity to test out the new DirtCop Wipes and the DirtCop Hand Cleaner.

Here's the front and rear drivelines removed from the truck.

In the old days I would either use a couple of sockets, one undersized and one oversized and a hammer and convince the caps of two opposite sides of a u-joint to leave the driveline housing or use the same under and over sized sockets and a large vice to do the same. Some of you "car guys" will know exactly what I'm talking about.

Now days I drop these off with my buddies down at the local NAPA machine shop and let them press them out with their hydraulic press. This saves my sockets from getting mashed up and I don't end up with a skinned knuckle somewhere along the way.

The process does tend to clean off the drivelines as the dirt and oily grime transfers onto me...

And "yeah" I know I could have worn some nitrile gloves but then I couldn't test out and review the DirtCop wipes or hand cleaner.

First thing you need to do is remove the lid off the DirtCop plastic jar and pull the middle wipe out a few inches...

Next - pock the point of the end of the wipe through the slot in the lid under the opening for the resealable tab on the top side of the lid.

Then press the lid back onto the jar and you're ready to start pulling clean wipes out of the jar...

Time to start cleaning... I'm using one wipe to get this clean party started...

And after just a few moments the majority of greasy grime has been easily wiped off the face of my palm...

Now for the back of my hand...

And here you can see the difference...

I pull a second wipe for the other hand and repeat the wiping/scrubbing process...

Getting down to the nitty-gritty....

And BOOM! - My hands are CLEAN!

Both sides!

Review:

I went into this process kind of half-hearted because I didn't know and didn't expect the wipes to work all that great. I was surprised. They worked awesome!

The dissolved all the black sludge that embedded into the pores of my skin and even around my fingernails and under my fingernails. These wipes were the next best thing to having access to running water and a powerful hand cleaner for getting my hands squeaky clean.

They have a fresh scent and left no unpleasant slime or coating on my skin - AND - all I used in the pictures above were 2 wipes, not secondary wiping with a paper towel or microfiber towel of which I have both in abundance in the garage.

If you're a hands-on guy like me and appreciate quality products, then get a jar of these DirtCop Hand & Surface Towels and throw them behind the seat of your truck or in the trunk of your car. The next time you do some mechanical work on the side of the road, like helping someone to change a flat tire or jump-start their battery, afterwards you'll be able to clean your hands and avoid getting yourself or the inside of your truck or car dirty.

On Autogeek.com

Available NOW!

DirtCop Hand & Surface Towels

2. Thanks Dan Tran thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Dirt Cop Hand and Surface Towels by Mike Phillips

nice and convenient without running water and soap...

Post Thanks / Like

Something worthwhile keeping in the glove box for an emergency situations. Usually it on a way to a wedding or formal event that your tire decides to “go flat”.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Great review Mike!

Those are nice to have around.

Post Thanks / Like

Now, Mike, one more wipe to clean the Dirt Cop container! (Just kidding...heehee. Besides it'll get all mucked up again next job anyway!).

Sorry, my OCD rears it's ugly head. And I totally agree with having my glove box equipped with these.

7. Likes ronkh57, dlc95 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post

Now, Mike, one more wipe to clean the Dirt Cop container! (Just kidding...heehee. Besides it'll get all mucked up again next job anyway!).
    I almost took those pictures, that is the pictures of me cleaning the DirtCop jar - BECAUSE I did pull a fresh wipe to clean the jar... just didn't take the pictures.

I've also written a review for the DirtCop Hand Cleaner - Yes, they make a GREAT hand cleaner also that uses crushed Apricot pits for a form of abrasive to scrub and deep clean the grimiest hands. I've been told we have not decided if we're going to bring this product in yet so to hold off on posting my review.

DirtCop Hand Cleaner - Wall mount unit

But to your point - that is your point about using a wipe to clean the wipes container. After using the DirtCop Hand Cleaner to clean my hands, (after re-installing the drivelines), I left greasy sludge on the lever you push to get cleaner and after cleaning my hands I pressed the lever to get some fresh hand cleaner to clean the lever. IF that make sense. And I DID take pictures for that review.

Me getting the lever dirty...

Washing my hands...

Hands are clean...

Next I clean my greasy, grimy paw prints off the lever...

Leave it clean for the next guy...

What do they say about minds that think alike?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post

Sorry, my OCD rears it's ugly head.

And I totally agree with having my glove box equipped with these.

I've used a number of hand wipes in my life, none of them have the grease cutting ability as the DirtCop wipes. With other wipes you would easily use a half a dozen to do what I did effectively with 2 wipes. This is s nice product and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it and I will be putting a plastic jar of these in my own truck for future use.

9. Likes ronkh57 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

bump

Mike Phillips

12. Likes axel06 liked this post