autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Review: FLEX XFE 7-12 80 aka The FLEX 3" 12mm Long Stroke Orbital Mini Polisher

Review: FLEX XFE 7-12 80 aka The FLEX 3" 12mm Long Stroke Orbital Mini Polisher

The FLEX 3" 12mm Long Stroke Orbital Mini Polisher

Video: Introducing the new FLEX 3" 12mm Long Stroke Orbital Mini Polisher

First let me break down the numbers in the name of this tool so everyone knows what they mean as they refer to this tool.

FLEX = Name of company

XFE 7 = Just an internal numbering system for FLEX tool company. No meaning outside of inventory control.

12 = This means this tool as a 12mm orbit stroke length.

80 - This means the largest pad size - FLEX recommends pas with a 80mm or 3" diameter for the face of the pad. They actually say you can go up to 100mm which is around 4" but my own experience shows that smaller pads and thinner pads will rotate better. So if you're doing correction or polishing work, stick with thinner 3" foam and microfiber pads. If you're just trying to spread out a finishing wax or a finishing sealant, they by all means jump up to a 4" diameter pad to cover more area with this larger footprint.

Let's get real...

No one is going to call this the FLEX XFE7 12 80 - it simply doesn't roll-off the lips.

That's also not how "Car Guys" talk. In the real world, here's what we're all going to call this tool,

The FLEX 3" 12mm Long Stroke Orbital Mini Polisher

And actually, even the shorter version,

The FLEX 3" Mini Polisher

Yes it's free spinning. Yes it's orbital. Yes the orbit stroke is 12mm and yes - it's a long stroke orbital polisher, but in a world where people can't even type out a work but instead use texting language, no one is going to call this by it's true and accurate name... everyone is going to call it the FLEX 3" Mini Polisher.

Now that that's out of the way, let's talk about the tool.

Technical stuff

Recommended pads size: 80mm = 3.15 inches - this refers to the diameter of the face of the pad.

Optional pad size: 100mm = 3.93 inches - This would be for applying a finishing wax or a finishing sealant. If you don't know, when the word finishing is used to describe a wax or sealant, it means it's a NON-CLEANING wax or sealant and should only be used on paint in PERFECT condition. A finishing wax or a finishing sealant is the opposite of a cleaner/wax or a cleaner/sealant.

If you're going to use a cleaner/wax or a cleaner/sealant with the new FLEX 3" Mini Polisher, then stick with thin 3" foam pads.

Backing plate size: 75mm = 2.95 inches - just call it a 3" backing plate and that's the diameter of the face of the backing plate.

Weight: 2.3 kilograms = 5.07 pounds

Electrical stuff that really doesn't matter from a practical point of use

Power input = 700 watts

Power output = 420 watts

Look, in the real-world, you're going put this tool on speed 5-6 to do correction work and 4-5 to do machine waxing or machine sealing work. You will do this whether or not - in your brain you know the power input or output.

Power cord: 4 meters = 13 feet - This is a nice length for a tool but even better, like all FLEX tools, the cord is rubber, not vinyl so it won't kink or hold a coil and they use heavy 12 gauge wire inside the cord to provide plenty of flow for current while protecting the tool.

RPM Range: 1800 RPM to 5500 RPM

OPM Range: 3600 OPM to 10,800 OPM

Physical size: 320centimeters x 120 centimeters or in U.S. Standard measurements, this tool is about 12.5" long by about 4.7" tall at the head of the tool. So from the face of the backing plate to the top of the back of the tool.

Quality never costs money... it makes money...

Besides all of the above, FLEX tools are the Mercedes-Benz of tools. They are SUPER high quality, not cheap junk. They use the best quality internal components including electrical parts, bearings, gears, seals, etc. You get what you pay for in life and when you buy ANY FLEX tool you're getting a pro-grade tool, not a cheap knock-off.

Available now on the Autogeek.com store

If you already love FLEX tools then no need to read any further, click the link below and get your FLEX Mini Polisher now.

FLEX XFE 7-12 3" Mini Polisher

Now let's take a look at what's in the box...

2. Likes VISITOR liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review: FLEX XFE 7-12 80 aka The FLEX 3" 12mm Long Stroke Orbital Mini Polisher

Continued....

What's in the box...

Thanks Bob Eichelburg for the brand new production unit fresh off the assembly line in Germany!

So cute...

This flat spot is called the Tool Rest - it's so you can place the tool upside down and it won't fall over. If you're working and you have a pad on the backing plate it keeps your pad clean and contaminant free.

This is called a Rocker On/Off Switch. It's mandatory in the U.K for tools sold in the UK and around the world.

These are fresh air intake vents

There's a fan on the electric motor that pulls air through these vents and flushes the air through the tool body and over the electric motor to keep it cool while running.

Exhaust vents

After cooling the tool down the hot air is flushed out of the tool via the exhaust vents at the front of the tool.

Variable speed dial located at the back of the tool - out of the way

Dimensions

The FLEX 3" Mini Polisher is approximately 12.5" long and from the face of the backing plate to the top of the tool about 4.7" tall.

Serial Number Identification Tag

Looks like this is #03000

This is called a stress or strain relief boot - it protects the cord where it enters into the tool.

13' Rubber Power Cord

The FLEX 3" 12mm Long Stroke Orbital Mini Polisher comes with a 13' rubber encased cord. Unlike cheap vinyl cords, rubber cords are less likely to scratch paint should it come into contact with the paint during use. Rubber also remains straight. It won't kink or coil and then retain the kink or coil shape. Vinyl cords have a memory and retain kinks and coils. Inside the rubber cord is 12 gauge electicical wire for maximum flow of electricity which protects the tool motor and internal electronics.

On Autogeek.com

4. Likes VISITOR, RamAirV1 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review: FLEX XFE 7-12 80 aka The FLEX 3" 12mm Long Stroke Orbital Mini Polisher

Continued....

Pad options

Not only do you now have the ability to get a pro-grade mini polisher but just as important you now have LOTS of pad options.

FLEX 3" Pads

These 3" pads were introduced a few years ago from FLEX for the FLEX PE8 or Kompact 3 Rotary Polisher

More pad options...
    Besides FLEX brand pads there are a plethora of other small pads on the Autogeek.com store to choose from...

Turn and churn

The new FLEX 3" Mini Polisher will turn and churn just about any 3" pad but thinner pads tend to work best with any free spinning tool.

IMPORTANT NOTE: While a LOT of pads will fit on the backing plate, not all pads will rotate will for doing correction and polishing work. My experience is any of the thin pads, like the Lake Country ThinPro and the Griot's BOSS thin pads, these will rotate best on this tool.

When it comes to machine applying a finishing wax or a finishing sealant - you don't need pad rotation - so the larger face and thicker foam pad options all work great for machine applying waxes and sealants.

On Autogeek.com

Lake Country Hybrid Power Finish 3.5" foam pads

RUPES 4" foam pads

RUPES 100 mm Blue Microfiber Cutting Pad - 100mm = 4"

RUPES 100 mm Yellow Microfiber Finishing Pad - 100mm = 4"

Lake Country 3.5 ThinPro foam pads

Lake Country 3 1/4 Inch Microfiber Cutting Pads

Lake Country 3 1/2 Inch Microfiber Polishing Pads

FLEX 3 Inch Heavy Orange Foam Pad

FLEX 3 Inch Medium Green Foam Pad

FLEX 3 Inch Soft Black Foam Pad

Griots Garage 3 inch BOSS Foam and Microfiber Pads

Lake Country 3" HDO Foam pads

Buff & Shine 3" Uro-Tech pads

Buff and Shine 3" Uro-Fiber pads

6. Likes VISITOR liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Continued...

The FLEX 3" Mini Polisher in action...

Here's what this new tool is for - buffing out small areas, thin panels and miscellaneous components like painted rear view mirrors.

Buffing out a painted rear view mirror

Buffing out thin panels like A-Pillars

Buffing out thin sections like the section of paint between the headlights and the grill

Working around emblems and buffing out thin panels.

It's called

Using the right tool for the job.

Matching the size of the pad to the panel to be buffed.

Get it on Autogeek.com

Mike Phillips

Continued...

Tight spots and thin panels

Recently, my good friend Alan La Bergere stopped by to say hi and gave me a hand with this old 2-door Dodge.

I took these pictures of Alan to show you the functionality of the new FLEX 3" Mini Polisher. This car was recently wrecked and then restored and repainted. After painting, it was sanded and compounded but not polishes. So our job was to remove the holograms leftover by the compounding step.

Here's Alan compounding the underneath of the grill opening.

Compounding around the headlights...
    (Note the headlights, grille and bumpers still need to be installed after the polishing work)

Here's Alan buffing out a thin panel between the trim in front of the bottom of the windshield and the edge where the hood meets the firewall.

Here's Alan compounding a thin section of paint between the edge where the hood meets the fender and the raised portion of the hood called "style" from Richard Zocchie, the original builder of this custom 1956 Dodge Lancer.

Here's Alan compounding the inset between the chrome spears that run down the side of the body....

At the back of the car there's a thin section of paint behind the back window and where the trunk lid meets the body.

Here's a tight section at the lower half of the inside of the fins on this car...

For the major large section of paint on this car I used the FLEX 3401 to compound and the FLEX XFE7 15 or the Finisher to polish the paint. But for all the intricate buffing we used the new FLEX 3" Mini Polisher.

See more about this project here,

How to use the SONAX CC36 Ceramic Paint Coating

Get the FLEX 3" Mini Polisher here...

Mike Phillips

Continued...

Motorcycle Detailing

Yancy is a bit of a fanatic when it comes to his bike. The word "bit" here is an understatement. Besides staying on top of the mechanical maintenance he also like to keep it looking show-ready all the time. When it comes to motorcycles, the new FLEX 3" Mini Polisher is perfect for,

1. Correction
    2. Polishing
    3. Waxing

I'm happy to say there are no swirl issues in the paint on Yancy's bike, a testimony to his skill as a detailer. But nothing looks as nice as a fresh coat of wax. So here's Yancy machine applying Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax using the FLEX 3" Mini Polisher.

On page 130 of my how-to book, The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine, I show how to use the handle of a PC wrench, (clean of course), like a butter knife to spread a paste wax onto the face of a foam pad when machine waxing with paste waxes.

To machine apply a true show car or in this case a show bike wax using the FLEX 3" Mini Polisher, Yancy is using a 3" Lake Country HDO Red Foam Waxing Pad on speed setting 1

Machine waxing will always do a better and safer job than the human hand...

One thing about Motorcycle detailing - there's not a lot of real-estate to deal with...

I think Yancy's Skull and Cross Bones is some form of subtle message to those that follow him to closely...

That's Yancy's sidekick hanging from the key chain...

Finished and bad to the bone...

Have a bike?

The FLEX 3" Motorcycle Polisher

Mike Phillips

Continued....

Wheel detailing...

Of course most wheels are not this large but for those of you that do have big wheels might as well let a machine do all the work.

These are 20" Rolling Big Power or RBP rims. They are powder coated black and most of the time look horrible. Powder coating has a high percentage of solids mixed in with the resin and from experience, most powder coated surfaces don't polish up like automotive paints. I stand on my rims all the time, that is when reaching into the bed or looking into the engine compartment, I'll stand on the inside of the rim to give me a lift up. Thus the rims get scratched up a lot. Remember - this is a TRUCK and a daily driver at that. It's not a show truck but I do try to keep her shined up.

That's actually washed and dried. In fact, I washed these rims and the tires thoroughly about a week ago because I wanted to put a tire coating on the tires and I knew I would be machine polishing the wheels. So what you see on the black paint is not dirt or dust, it's a film of road grime.

Helping hand from Dion
    Because I'm playing photographer I asked my co-worker Dion to give me a hand. Some of you may remember Dion from this project.

I tested all the pads shared in the picture above and what I've found out is that for doing any type of correction work either with a compound or a one-step cleaner/wax like we're using here, you want to stick with THIN foam or THIN microfiber pads. And harder pads rotate better than soft squishy pads. The pad you see below is the Lake Country 3.5" white foam polishing pad. Dion did some buffing to test it out and now he's added some more product to go back an do some more buffing.

You can see the pad is spinning great in the below picture and this is not an easy surface to buff and maintain pad rotation on as it is concave in shape and this means it's actually putting more pressure on the two extreme sides of the pad with less pressure on the front to back sides and the middle.

Again - it's easy to see great pad rotation

Here you can see some of the black pigment coming off the wheel...

Now we're going to test out the Griot's Garage 3.5" Fast Correcting White Foam pad

IMPORTANT

It's vitally important to center any pad onto the backing plate. If the pad is off-center even just a little bit it can affect pad performance.

So CENTER your pads!!!

Place a black mark on the side of any pad you're using. This makes it easy to see and monitor pad rotation.

The Griot's thin white foam cutting pads spins good...

Here's residue...

Dion wiping off just the center section....

BAM - Now that looks good!

Wiping off the rest of the residue...

BEFORE

AFTER

Thanks Dion - now all I have to do is the rest of this wheel and the other 3 wheels...

On Autogeek.com

11. Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Continued....

Machine sanding

This is an advanced skill and only someone with years of experience in the area of hand and machine sanding should ever undertake complex projects like sanding paint jobs on high-end car like this 1957 Chevy Bel Air.

Machine sanding techniques by Mike Phillips

This is for demonstration purpose only to show what the term edging means when it comes to machine sanding. I teach a lot of different techniques when it comes to the art of polishing paint in general and when it comes to the art of sanding in specific. Below is one such technique.

Edging - Using a small sanding disc with an orbital sander or orbital polisher to sand around the edge of a panel and create a buffer zone so you don't have to try to sand close to the edges using a full size sander and full size sanding disc.

Pictured below is the trunk lid on a 1957 Chevy Bel Air

If I wanted to sand down the trunk lid by machine, (normally the finish sanding step after first blocking via hand sanding), I would start by edging the panel. By edge the panel I mean I would first machine sand from about a 1/4" or so out from the edge of the panel using a small 3" sanding disc from either Mirka or 3M.

Here's my friend and co-worker Dion. Full disclaimer - This is the first time Dion has ever machine sanded. I figured starting him out on a super high quality build 1957 Chevy Bel Air Streetrod would be a good way to break him in.

First Dion sprays some clean water onto the surface to be sanded. There's a little car wash soap mixed into the water to provide lubrication during the sanding process and to also help prevent.

Next, holding the FLEX polisher carefully, on speed setting 1 - he carefully runs the polisher back and forth next to the edge of the trunk lid. Note this takes extreme concentration because you cannot sand over the hard edge. Sanding on the edge is a recipe for either sanding through the paint on the edge and exposing the underlying metal panel, or creating a situation where you buff through the paint because sanding on the edge made it whisper thin.

The good news is this small, lightweight and compact size orbital polisher is easy to control, even for a first-timer.

After sanding for a few passes, Dion wipes off the sanding slurry....

Here's the panel edged with #4000 grit Mirka Abralon

Free advice
    If you new to sanding or even highly experienced, before sanding take the precautionary measure to tape-off edges and raised body lines. This way, in case you accidently sand over an edge or a raised body line the paint will be protected. Besides protecting the paint on edges and raised body lines, the tape acts as a visual indicator to remind your or warn you where the edge is or where a raised body line is located. When buffing in the middle of a panel that has a raised body line, the sanding slurry, because it's white with clearcoat or colored with pigment from a single stage finish, can hide where the raised body line is at. A thin strip of tape not only protects a raised body line but creates a visual indicator as to where it is located.

Below the edge is protected with 3M 1/4" Blue Vinyl tape. (nice stuff)

If you don't have thin tape like the 1/4" 3M Blue Vinyl Tape you can use thicker 1/2" masking tape by slicing it down the middle to make 2 strips of 1/4" tape or open the trunk lid (or any body panel that opens, hood, doors, etc.), and apply the tape to only the edge of the panel and fold the rest under the panel.

There's lots of way to work safe...

Remember, machine sanding is for experienced professionals. Never "learn" on something that's important to you. A good way to instill fear into yourself is before taking on any sanding project, check with some local body shops on the cost to re-paint a panel or an entire car should you screw up. Once you hear what a quality paint job costs you'll remember this thread.

Mike Phillips

Continued...

The new FLEX 3" 12mm Long Stroke Orbital Mini Polisher

Review

Pro-grade quality

That's a catch-phrase thrown around pretty loosely in our modern world. Kind of the same way I often here someone say, work harder not smarter but then never show or share how to actually do it, (work smarter instead of working harder).

I'm here to tell you straight-up that FLEX makes pro-grade tools. This means professional grade, not disposable use-it then throw it away (or return-it-to-the-store and get your money back) type tools but tools you will treat with respect because you know when you respect the tool it will take care of you and your business.

But don't take my word for it - look at the pictures I took when I went to Stuttgart, Germany and toured the FLEX manufacturing plant. I used my camera to document the high quality workmanship and high caliber of material and components used to manufacture FLEX tools.

Germany Flex Plant Tour Pictures

This new FLEX 3" 12mm Long Stroke Orbital Polisher is one well-built tool. It's stout. That means it's solid and sturdy, like Thor's Hammer. In fact you could probably use it to hammer in 6 Penny Nails into Oak or take down a super villain with a single blow. But that's how FLEX rolls. They don't do half-ass they do pro-grade. The fact that I RARELY ever see anyone selling a FLEX tool is a sure sign that it's not just me that realizes what a quality tools looks like, feels like and operates like. And the few times in my life when I've seen someone selling a FLEX tool - I've also seen them come to regret it because invariably they find out it was a mistake and now have to purchase a replacement at full price, (unlike what they sold their one-owner FLEX tool for when they sold it).

So it's established. FLEX makes pro-grade tools and the new FLEX XFE7 12-80 is no exception.

Performance
    When it comes to mini orbital polishers there's not a lot of options on the market. There's two groups and nothing in-between. There's good tools and cheap knock-offs. Each person can decide what's best for them but the fact of the matter is the old saying always rings true, (that's why it's an old saying that stick around forever), you get what you pay for. So you can invest in quality or you can buy something that may or may not work as good as the original.

Out of the 3 mini orbital polishers that I've used, I would rate the new FLEX 3" Mini Polisher as best in class. It offers the best performance for doing correction work, polishing and machine sealing of the paint. The key to ensuring maximum performance with this tool is the same as with other tools in this category and that's choosing and using the right pad and the best pad for the job. The key feature everyone looks for in a free-spinning orbital polisher is the ability to maintain pad rotation when doing aggressive work like compounding, polishing or using a one-step cleaner/wax. This new FLEX tool easily wins the pad rotation contest for these three types of machine work. Can or will the pad stall or stop rotation? Of course, that's the nature of ALL free spinning orbital polishers, it's like a safety feature that prevents someone from making a mistake. If zero chance of pad stalling is your highest priority the purchase the FLEX PE8 or the FLEX PE14, these are gear-driven rotary polishers and nothing you can do will stop or hinder pad rotation. But at the same time, there are risks that go with using only a direct-drive single direction rotary polisher, namely burning through the paint and/or leaving holograms behind. Neither of which are acceptable to most people. The ability to finish out hologram free and without the risk of burning through the paint is what the free spinning FLEX 3" Mini Polisher offers to the user and that's a feature most of us both want and need.

The key to maximum performance with this free spinning orbital polisher and any free spinning orbital polisher is to use the right pads as well as use good technique. Pads are easy, just call up Autogeek and place an order. Technique comes from time behind the tool and if that's easy too as long as you actually put the time behind the tool.

If you're looking for a pro-grade free spinning orbital polisher and you want the best tool bang for the buck, then the FLEX XFE7 12-80 is the winner and the right tool for you.

FLEX tools are the kind of tools you show off - but when you're not around - you lock them up! -Mike Phillips

On Autogeek.com

The Flex family of tools.

In front is the new FLEX XFE7 12-80 aka the 3" Mini Polisher

Immediately behind it to the left and then going clockwise are,

FLEX PE8 Kompakt Rotary Polisher
    FLEX PE14 Rotary Polisher
    FLEX XC 3401 VRG Gear-Driven 8mm Orbital Polisher
    FLEX XFE7 15mm Free Spinning Long Stroke Orbital Polisher

Mike Phillips

***Update***

The new FLEX 3" Mini Polisher is now available to order on the Autogeek.com store here,

Or call our friendly customer care hotline and place your order over the phone...

1-800-869-3011

This is a very nice polisher from FLEX and a much-needed tool to round out your tool collection.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast