autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Meguiar's D166 Ultra Polishing Wax by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    D166 is my goto product for paint polishing. It's a great product. Doesn't dry out on you while working, wipes off easilly, has good ability to correct defects yet finishes very well, protection is supposed to be in the 6 months range which rivals good stand alone polymer sealants.

I usually use a foam cutting pad with it. Most cars I see have a lot of deep swirl marks and in my experience using a polishing pad would take way too long to remove enough swirls to satisfy me. One of the youtube channels I watch suggests using a microfiber cutting pad with AIOs. I have seen him do it and it came out amazing. A few passes removed all the swirl marks and finished without haze.

Unfortunatelly since I re-opened for the 2019 season on April 1st, I haven't done any polishing without going to Ceramic Coating afterwards so I have not had the chance to test D166 on Meguiars Microfiber cutting disks... but I am sure the opportunity will come soon enough
    Thanks, Calendyr! So you guys are using DA type machinery to do these cars? Am I crazy for thinking of doing it by hand? I don't want to screw it up nor do I want to buy expensive equipment to use one a year (maybe 6 months if I'm not tooo lazy haha).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShoNuff View Post
    Thanks, Calendyr! So you guys are using DA type machinery to do these cars? Am I crazy for thinking of doing it by hand? I don't want to screw it up nor do I want to buy expensive equipment to use one a year (maybe 6 months if I'm not tooo lazy haha).
    Pick up the new Meguiar’s 3 in 1 wax. It’s designed for hand application and it is similar to D166. AIO’s are good if time is short.

If you have more time then a dedicated product is the way to go. The ultimate line is readily available and can be used by hand.

Just be aware that it is a lot of work doing it by hand than by machine.

3. Likes ShoNuff liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Pick up the new Meguiar’s 3 in 1 wax. It’s designed for hand application and it is similar to D166. AIO’s are good if time is short.

If you have more time then a dedicated product is the way to go. The ultimate line is readily available and can be used by hand.

Just be aware that it is a lot of work doing it by hand than by machine.
    The Meguiar's G191016? Better than the other? There's so many products...

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

The Meguiar's G191016? Better than the other? There's so many products...

Thanks!
    Yes.

Meguiar?s 3-in-1 Wax

You might want to consider using the claybar before polishing to really maximize your results.

Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Kit, meguiars detailing clay,

6. Likes ShoNuff liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would get a DA polisher and some orange pads to do this work. It’s a relatively small investment (you do have a Tesla) and it will save you a ton of time. What is your time worth?

I want to get some D166 myself... or really just an AIO that provides better protection than mine (HD Speed). Let us know how it works out!

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

8. Likes ShoNuff liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Mike, thanks for your response! No, I do not own a polisher.
    I've invested way too much time in my life explaining to people and trying to convince people to move up from working by hand to working by machine, (simple DA). But suffice to say, I've been teaching detailing classes now for over 32 years and I can no longer count how many people that like you - never machine polished and helped them to switch to machine polishing and everyone was happy with their decision. In fact I cannot remember a single instance of a person learning how to machine polish end up regretting it. And more so - most people say something like this,

I should have made the switch sooner.

Modern DA's or Dual Action Polishers are incredibly safe. The Porter Cable 7424 started it all back in the late 1980s when someone at Meguiar's discovered 2 things,

1: A foam buffing pad they ALREADY made for body shops fit onto the Porter Cable 7424 Wood Sander.

2: The Porter Cable 7424 unlike the HUNDREDS of wood sanders on the market had the power and the counterweight that would maintain pad rotation under pressure.

The second thing above is going deep for some people but that's how things work.

A modern version of the Porter Cable that has a TON more power but is still just as safe is the Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital Polisher.

Here's three article for you, in case you haven't noticed.... I have a LOT of articles. (lots of videos too)

From working by hand to working by machine - You can do it. <-- my good buddy Mitch - retired police officer

Machine polishing paint - It's not that hard and with modern dual action polishers it's real safe! <-- look at the young boy, the girls and the elderly gentleman in this thread

Proof You Can Do It! - Joe The Detailer - Black Porsche Turned into Black Pearl! <-- from 2010

Here's my info-packed article on the Griot's polisher. If you read this entire thread. Clicked the links I share and read the info they share. Watch the video embedded in the thread. You would know more than most detailers and have the confidence to try machine polishing.

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

Whether you work by hand or machine - read this article. THE most important article I've ever written in my opinion. Also the showcased article in the first edition of my newsletter. My second newsletter going out next week.

How, why & when to inspect your microfiber towels when detailing cars

If you do get into machine polishing read and use the tip shared here.

Video: Mark your backing plate to make it easy to see pad rotation

And this one, (I'm turning this article I wrote years ago into a video)

DA Polisher Trouble Shooting Guide

Simple technique if you don't have a swirl finder light

How to inspect paint for swirls using overhead sunlight

TONS of tips and techniques

How To Detail Your Brand New Car by Mike Phillips

To go back up to your previous post you're saying the Ultimate Compound is maybe too abrasive for my type of car possibly because of "soft" paint? You then mention that the Ultimate Polish and Ultimate Wax would be good ideas for me if I want to do a multi-step process. Or if I don't, go ahead with the Ultra Polishing Wax. Is that correct or am I misreading.

I would have guessed the Ultimate Compound would be too aggressive and I also would have assumed an orange foam CUTTING pad would be too aggressive of Tesla paint but DMW has a completely opposite experience.

Read his reply here,

Quote Originally Posted by DMW View Post

I've used D166 with an orange Lake Country pad on my Flex 3401 on a '14 Black Tesla, and it came out great.

It is soft paint and this combo works quite well. I plan to do it again this or next weekend as I have another customer with a red Tesla coming in.

And yes, I was going to ask if doing this by hand is ok.
    You can go down this road. I used to teach hand polishing technique at Meguiar's for 7 years. That's because most people already own a hand. When I came to Autogeek the old boss said, we don't sell hands, we sell tools. He's right. Plus in all my experience I rarely meet anyone that has the muscle, the experience, the patience and the skill level to actually "move their hand over paint" and remove swirls and scratches without instilling swirls and scratches. Here's something I've typed for years.

It takes more skill to remove swirls and scratches by hand than it does to remove them with a dual action polisher -Mike Phillips

Here's a few articles on the topic of working by hand.

Put a little passion behind the pad - Mike Phillips

Man versus Machine

Tools for polishing paint by hand <-- this was written in 2015 but I think most of these tools are still available.

I just don't want to do anything that takes away from the paint
    And just to note - the ONLY way to remove a below surface defect is to abrade the surface and LEVEL it. This means removing a little paint. The big picture idea is to do this once and then only TOUCH the paint with things that are clean and soft.

By touch I mean anytime you,

Wash - Wash mitts
    Dry - Drying towels/chamois
    Spray detailers - microfiber towels.

Remember I shared an article above on how and why to inspect your towels. Here's two brand new articles I just wrote for customers with sound info.

How to safely wash a ceramic coated car by Mike Phillips - Traditional Hose & Bucket Approach

How to maintain a Coated Garage Queen by Mike Phillips

See everything I wrote above. There are cheaper tools than the Griot's Garage 6" ROP but I've used them and they quality is matched by what you paid and I quite honestly had a hard time maintaining pad rotation with the cheapie tools.

Quote Originally Posted by jdgamble View Post

I would get a DA polisher and some orange pads to do this work. It’s a relatively small investment (you do have a Tesla) and it will save you a ton of time.

What is your time worth?

I agree with the above plus you will NEVER get as good as results working by hand as you can get by working by machine.

We actually have an employee from Tesla on this forum. I saw their e-mail address when I was approving accounts. I don't believe they have ever posted though?

Hope the above helps. Try to get that much info in a single "message" on a Facebook group.

10. Thanks ShoNuff, dlc95 thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Somebody mentioned 6 months of protection with D166. Maybe if your car sits in a garage and doesn't leave it. Longevity is a BIG drawback of D166 for me out here in Arizona. Anything carnauba-based is lucky to last a week in the summer.
    2005 Dodge SRT4 400whp/480wtq | 2015 Nissan Frontier (daily driver) Both are corrected and coated with CQuartz UK 3.0 by me
    I detail out of my garage as a side job on the weekends and do about 6-8 cars per month.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you again, Mike! And for everyone else who has posted. I will watch those vids and read your links and I will get a DA polisher. I was already looking at them but I worried I would screw things up. Seems like by hand has more opportunity to do that plus the amount of time it would take. And yes, as jdgamble posted haha, my time is worth getting a DA.

Mike Phillips

Thank you again, Mike! And for everyone else who has posted. I will watch those vids and read your links and I will get a DA polisher.

I was already looking at them but I worried I would screw things up.

These are a lot of fun and they completely flatten out the learning curve. Plus you get to use all the tools people talk about before you buy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DMW View Post
    Somebody mentioned 6 months of protection with D166. Maybe if your car sits in a garage and doesn't leave it. Longevity is a BIG drawback of D166 for me out here in Arizona. Anything carnauba-based is lucky to last a week in the summer.
    D166 has both Carnauba and polymers. I don't know the ratio but my guess is that it's a polymer sealant with a little bit of carnauba wax in it to enhance gloss.

What will that do to durability, I don't know, but I am guessing most of the durability comes from the sealant, not the wax and heat and sun have pretty much no effect on sealants.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast