autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Dr. Beasley’s Matte Paint Coating by Mike Phillips

Dr Beasley's: Would you recommend this for matte or satin wheels? Any differences to in the prep or application process?
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Dr Beasley's: Would you recommend this for matte or satin wheels? Any differences to in the prep or application process?

Yes! The only thing to note is that because of the high temperature of the wheel area, the durability of the coating will be slightly less. So instead of lasting 1-2 years, we'd recommend reapplying it every 6 months or so. It works beautifully on matte wheels!

Post Thanks / Like

Could be the lighting in the photos, but I rather the before. Looks like you took an even finish matte hood and turned it into a splotchy satin mess. Like I said could be the lighting...

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's the lighting. Mike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sixsix View Post
    Could be the lighting in the photos, but I rather the before. Looks like you took an even finish matte hood and turned it into a splotchy satin mess. Like I said could be the lighting...
    I agree sixsix. Maybe the photos are not showing the true look of the before and after, but I immediately thought of tire dressings that provide too much shine!

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree. I owned one of these cars a few years back and I would be unhappy with the results. That is not what they are supposed to look like. I hope it's just a lighting issue. I know matte paint/graphics can be difficult to photo properly.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    I have to agree. I owned one of these cars a few years back and I would be unhappy with the results. That is not what they are supposed to look like. I hope it's just a lighting issue. I know matte paint/graphics can be difficult to photo properly.
    Yep, Mr. Dr!

'03 Corvette Z06

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by sixsix View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    I think it's the lighting. Mike?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackMDX View Post
    I agree sixsix. Maybe the photos are not showing the true look of the before and after, but I immediately thought of tire dressings that provide too much shine!

Great questions guys.... and appreciate all your doubts and concerns.... but the finish was NOT oily or splotchy, if fact it looked GREAT!

Here's the other deal....

When working on a car like this where the paint is all hacked-up.... to have ONLY made the paint look great would have been doing a half ass job.

The matte hood looked like crap.

I explained in this thread that the same gunk, dirt film, staining that was on the pant was on ALL of the outside of the car and that includes the glass, the trim and "yes" the matte finish hood and hood scoop.

I also said it looked dull and lifeless.

I pick and choose all my words when I write for the masses on public forum VERY CAREFULLY.

The finish is still matte, that is it's not smooth and glossy. It just has a rich dark sheen that matches the graphics on the side of the car and puts the finishing touch on the entire appearance of the car.

The owner loved it as did his Dad when the arrived to pick up the car.

I guess some people would like a dull and drab looking gray hood on their yellow car with black graphics on the side of the car but not me.

I think this is one of those situations where you would have had to have been here to get the real-world experience of the amazing transformation that took place to the hood and the entire car.

The Dr. Beasley's Matte Paint Coating worked GREAT on this matte surface. I would not hesitate to do it again.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike! You said it still looks matte! That is the key! I personally trust your views. Like I said above, I'm sure it was just the photos conveying the wrong image as I know first hand how hard it is to capture matte finish with a camera as our eyes see it in real life!
    Jim

Mike Phillips

Thanks Mike! You said it still looks matte! That is the key! I personally trust your views. Like I said above, I'm sure it was just the photos conveying the wrong image as I know first hand how hard it is to capture matte finish with a camera as our eyes see it in real life!

I can understand how by the pictures alone some could think it was oily or too shiny to be "right" but I guess this is just one of those things where you would have to be here to see it in person because it looked great.

In the BIG PICTURE - when it comes to working on matte surfaces they are a lot more tricky to work on and do 2 things,

1: Make them look good.
    2: Not screw them up.

And in our industry, products that can tackle both of the above have been far and few between.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast