autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Jay Leno’s Garage Tire & Trim Care - Review by Mike Phillips

Jay Leno’s Garage Tire & Trim Care - Review by Mike Phillips

This is a nice tire and trim dressing
    It does exactly what it's supposed to do and that's turn rubber, vinyl and plastic back to black. It's easy to use and smells good too! I don't like the oily or greasy look created by some tire dressings and this product doesn't do that. In fact it leaves the kind of finish I do like and that's a dark sheen. I always give the sidewall a light wipe with a tire and wheel microfiber towel after allowing the dressing to penetrate for a few minutes to remove any excess and then tire sling is never an issue.

It's also not rocket science to use.
    It's important to first clean your car's tire to remove any previously applied tire dressings, road film, dirt and blooming. Blooming is the browning of the tire caused when antiozonant in the rubber from the manufacturer interacts with ozone in the air around the car. This is a natural reaction and another reason why you need to clean your car's tires before applying a dressing.

Camaro Car Detailing Project
    Recently I tested, used and reviewed the Jay Leno Garge Vehicle Wash on a 2013 Camaro I've been detailing.

Jay Leno’s Garage Vehicle Wash - Review and How-to by Mike Phillips

The car wash is a quality product and worthy of Jay's name. So is this Tire & Trim Care product. After washing the car thoroughly, I clayed the paint, compounded and polished the paint and then applied the Jay Leno Hand Wax. To add the finishing touches I applied the Jay Leno Garage Tire & Trim Care to the faded and dull looking tires.

Sometimes I find it tricky to get really good before and after pictures of tires because in order to get the "ugly" you need to light up the tires and this tends to blow-out the rim and the paint but I think the below pictures tell the bigger picture and that the tires on this Camaro are in fact ugly looking.

Here's the Jay Leno Garage Tire & Trim Care and the foam sponge block for applying the product to the tires.

Here's a tech tip
    In order to get the dressing close to the lip of the rim, apply some dressing to the edge of the foam applicator like this,

Of course apply some product in the center section for dressing the middle of the sidewall too....

Then place the foam block against the sidewall with one edge next to the lip of the rim and with a sweeping motion, move the block of foam around the tire sidewall.

This is one application of Jay Leno Garage Tire & Trim Care except I left a section of the original, untreated rubber alone.

Finished applying to the tire and here are the results....

And outside...

Final thoughts...

If you want a simple, easy-to-use high quality tire and trim dressing then you can trust the name on the label when it comes to Jay Leno Garage Tire & Trim Care. It's easy to use and doesn't leave the tire greasy looking.

On Autogeek.com

Jay Leno’s Garage Tire & Trim Care

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jay Leno’s Garage Tire & Trim Care - Review by Mike Phillips

Nice! Why didn't you clean the tire first?
    '03 Corvette Z06

Mike Phillips

Re: Jay Leno’s Garage Tire & Trim Care - Review by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post

Nice! Why didn't you clean the tire first?
    Good eye Mark but I did clean the wheels and tires when I washed the car but I didn't take any pictures because the focus was on the "car wash" not the wheel and tire cleaning. That said, I always practice and preach to clean wheels and tires first, then wash the car starting from the top and working your way down.

I used the Tuff Shine Tire Cleaner and a low profile tire brush.

Even after cleaning, the tire was still a splotchy brown color. The light I was using to light up the tires also made it look washed out.

At the time I washed the Camaro, Autogeek had not yet received the new other products in the Jay Leno Garage line.

M)