autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

SCANGRIP TV COMMERCIAL - SCANGRIP Swirl Finder Lights - Review with pictures by Mike Phillips

SCANGRIP TV COMMERCIAL - SCANGRIP Swirl Finder Lights - Review with pictures by Mike Phillips

I'm happy to say SCANGRIP is a sponsor of our TV show Competition Ready and in 2-3 of the new episodes in season 2 you'll see me or my co-host AJ using the SCANGRIP Sunmatch Swirl Finder Light. Recently Jason at SCANGRIP sent me a collectionof the SCANGRIP lights to test out, use and share with others. This would include these items which is also currently everything from SCANGRIP on the AG store.

In the original review I wrote for the SCANGRIP Sunmatch,

SCANGRIP Sunmatch Swirl Finder Light - Product Review by Mike Phillips

I wrote,

I love this light

And then I explained the three reason why I love this light and some of them have nothing to do with finding swirls. It was an honor to find out that SCANGRIP loved my review so much that they used one of the pictures from my review and what I wrote for one of their Facebook pages,

Innovative Tools

SCANGRIP Sunmatch

SCANGRIP Matchpen Light

SCANGRIP Multimatch

SCANGRIP I-View

SCANGRIP Colourmatch Kit

SCANGRIP Multimatch Tripod Single

SCANGRIP Telescoping Tripod

And I really do love the SCANGRIP Sunmatch swirl finder light so much that I never leave the garage without it. So yes, I'm excited that they joined our team and sponsored our TV show. They also had us produce a TV commercial that you will see aring on Velocity Channel when our TV show air in just a few weeks, so keep your eye out for it.

To showcase their brand and their products for the TV commercial I brought in a dark colored American Muscle Car that has lots of swirls and scratches. I also have a slew of new products to test out so in my normal manner I try to kill as many birds with one stone as possible.

Here's the car, some of you may remember the write-up I created and then posted here on the AGO forum and on my Facebook page

Jay Leno’s Garage Vehicle Wash - Review and How-to by Mike Phillips

(You haven't seen the last of this car for new product reviews)

While Yancy and I were filming the SCANGRIP TV commercial I took a few behind the scenes pictures because not only did we shoot a commercial but I can show you how cool the SCANGRIP Multimatch swirl finder light works.

Here's Yancy getting b-roll for the commercial. These are beauty shots of the products displayed on our workbench.

Here a stepped back a few feet to give you perspective.

After getting the b-roll it's time to move onto showcasing what these lights can do!Here's the car right after I washed it using Jay Lenoj's Vehicle Wash. The finish has a nice shine under florescent lights and that's what fools some people.

To show the masses, that's the people watching our TV show what a swirl finder light does you need to first educate them on what swirls are. Now we, that is all of us in the online car detailing world, (you're in it or now in it just by the fact you're reading this article I've written), now we all know what swirls are... but the masses don't. And you can't really tie what swirls are without also showing what paint looks like WITHOUT swirls.

So to showcase what the SCANGRIP swirl finder lights can do I'm going to place a tape line on the hood of the Camaro and then buff out just the paint on one side of the hood. After this I'll let Yancy take over and do what he does best.

Time is always limited so to remove all of the swirls and scratches fast and 100% I'm using the FLEX 3401, (also a sponsor of our TV show), and a Lake Country 6.5" Blue Hybrid Foam Cutting Pad and a mystery product. In the picture below I've added some product to the face of the pad to prime the pad using the MPT

Now that the pad is primed I've placed what I call working product onto the pad. The reason I call this the working product is because it's' the product I'm actually going to work with, the other product was to lubricate the foam and load it up with abrasives.

No pictures of me buffing on the car as Yancy was busy. But here's Yancy making TV magic!

Notice he's NOT looking down at what he's doing?

That's because he's looking at a big screen TV on the far wall because what's important is what the camera is seeing, not what Yancy is seeing!

Here's before.... ouch! That's ugly!

Here's the light on the middle of the tape-line...

And here's after... should make sense how showing this type of transition from ugly to beautiful paints a picture in the viewer's mind as to exactly what is a SCANGRIP Swirl Finder Light.

As the camera rolls on Yancy continues moving the swirl finder light over the hood. From this angle it looks to us that light is on the middle of the hood but from the camera angel the light is actually on the passenger side fender.

Mike Phillips

Re: SCANGRIP TV COMMERCIAL - SCANGRIP Swirl Finder Lights - Review with pictures by Mike Phillips

Continued....

Once we were done filming the TV commercial, I invested the time to take some pictures of some of the other lights in action.

In the below shots I'm taking pictures exactly where the video camera was focused only I'm holding my camera directly over the top of the tape-line.

Here's the Multimatch on the SCANGRIP telescoping tripod.

This is the front driver's side fender before I buffed out the Camaro....

When using a swirl finder light you normally hold it about a foot to a foot and a half away from the surface. You don't stick it right down close to the paint. This was before I compounded and polished the Camaro.

Here's the SCANGRIP Penmatch Light, these pictures were taken after I compounded and polished the Camaro

Holding the light about a foot off the surface....

Swirl free....

Review?

What can I say? I love these lights! They do the 7 things I need,

1: Showcase swirls and scratches to my eyes so I can see the defects I need to remove.

2: Showcase swirls and scratches to video cameras to show others the before condition of the paint.

3: Showcase swirls and scratches to my digital camera (Canon T5i), so I can share the before condition of paint in my articles.

4: Inspect paint for missed wax after wiping the wax or sealant off a car.

5: Inspect paint for high spots when applying and removing a ceramic paint coating.

6: Inspect for sanding marks before machine compounding

7: Inspect for sanding marks that may have been missed after compounding

And sometimes... I use it for a flashlight!

Love these lights. Get your on Autogeek.com

SCANGRIP Sunmatch

SCANGRIP Matchpen Light

SCANGRIP Multimatch

SCANGRIP I-View

SCANGRIP Colourmatch Kit

SCANGRIP Multimatch Tripod Single

SCANGRIP Telescoping Tripod

Besides working for you, having professional grade tools demonstrates to the public you know your stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: SCANGRIP TV COMMERCIAL - SCANGRIP Swirl Finder Lights - Review with pictures by Mike Phillips

Great review and article Mike!!! Love the shots showcasing how bad the swirls are.

Love my Scangrip lights thanks to your articles!
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post

Love the shots showcasing how bad the swirls are.

What do you think of the performance of the new compound?

Post Thanks / Like

I can attest to how much Mike really does love his Scangrip handheld! On both sets of Competition Ready in which I was in, Mike would regularly track down the light. "Has anyone seen my Scangrip?" It reminded me of a parent making sure their child was close.

I can't say I blame him. I, too, love the light and will eventually get one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    What do you think of the performance of the new compound?

Amazing and stunning results! 100% swirl and defect free. And LSP ready to boot!

What is the mystery compound you used? When is it coming out? Is it a PBMG product or a different company?
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Nice write-up Mike

Post Thanks / Like

i bought the pen a few orders ago, really like it but yours seems much brighter, maybe its time i replace the batteries. it is nice to carry with me in my pocket as it a small foot print and handy to whip out during car meets.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post

I can attest to how much Mike really does love his Scangrip handheld!

On both sets of Competition Ready in which I was in, Mike would regularly track down the light. "Has anyone seen my Scangrip?"

It reminded me of a parent making sure their child was close.

I can't say I blame him. I, too, love the light and will eventually get one.

That's true. The rechargeable batteries hold their charge in the SCANGRIP Sunmatch for what seems like forever and that's a nice feature too...

Thanks for chiming in Jesus, It was great having you on our TV show. You came highly recommended by all the regulars on Autopia and they were accurate when they said you were a hard work, a great detailer and the real deal. I'm a witness and so are the episodes you were in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    That's true. The rechargeable batteries hold their charge in the SCANGRIP Sunmatch for what seems like forever and that's a nice feature too...

Thanks for chiming in Jesus, It was great having you on our TV show. You came highly recommended by all the regulars on Autopia and they were accurate when they said you were a hard work, a great detailer and the real deal. I'm a witness and so are the episodes you were in.

Thank you, thank you. It was great being on the show and witnessing a handful of great detailers come together for fun and putting some love to some cars. Hopefully those guys aren't disappointed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast